D. J. Taylor
D. J. Taylor
|Born||David John Taylor|
1960 (age 60–61)
|Genre||Literary criticism, fiction, biography|
David John Taylor  is a British critic, novelist and biographer. After attending school in Norwich, he read Modern History at St John's College, Oxford, and has received the 2003 Whitbread Biography Award for his biography of George Orwell. His novel Derby Day was longlisted for the 2011 Man Booker Prize. He was previously a member of the Norwich Writers' Circle.(born 1960)
- Great Eastern Land: from the notebooks of David Castell (1986), novel
- A Vain Conceit: British Fiction in the 1980s (1989)
- Other People: Portraits From The 90's (1990), with Marcus Berkmann
- Real Life (1992), novel
- After the War: The Novel and England since 1945 (1993)
- English Settlement (1996), novel
- After Bathing at Baxter’s (1997), short stories
- Trespass (1998), novel
- Thackeray (1999), biography
- The Comedy Man (2002), novel
- Pretext 6: Punk of Me (2002), guest editor
- Orwell (2003), biography
- Kept (2006), novel 
- On The Corinthian Spirit: The Decline of Amateurism In Sport (2006)
- Bright Young People: The Rise and Fall of a Generation 1918–1940 (2007)
- Ask Alice (2009), novel 
- At the Chime of a City Clock (2010), novel 
- Derby Day (2011), novel 
- Secondhand Daylight (2012), novel
- The Windsor Faction (2013), novel
- Wrote for Luck (2015), stories. Galley Beggar Press
- The Prose Factory: Literary Life in England since 1918 (2016)
- Rock and Roll is Life (2018), novel
- Lost Girls: Love, War and Literature, 1939–1951 (2019), collective biography
Prizes and honours
- 1998: Longlisted for Booker Prize for his novel Trespass
- 1999: Winner of a Grinzane Cavour Prize for L'accordo Inglese, the Italian translation of his novel English Settlement
- 2003: Winner of the Whitbread Prize for Biography for Orwell: The Life
- 2011: Longlisted for the 2011 Man Booker Prize, for his novel Derby Day.
- 2014: The Windsor Faction winner of the Sidewise Award (tied with Bryce Zabel's Surrounded by Enemies: What If Kennedy Survived Dallas?).
- "D. J. Taylor". Djtaylor.co.uk.
- Wroe, Nicholas (30 August 2013). "DJ Taylor: 'I set out with every intention of just being a novelist. But then I got diverted …'". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Man Booker Prize 2011 longlist". The Telegraph. 26 July 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- News | The Man Booker Prizes Archived 18 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "2014 Sidewise Award Finalists". Locus. 6 June 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.