Dilip Kumar Chakrabarti
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Dilip Kumar Chakrabarti is a noted Indian archaeologist and professor of South Asian archaeology at Cambridge University. He is known for his studies on the early use of iron in India and the archaeology of Eastern India.
Chakrabarti started his career as a lecturer of Archaeology at Calcutta University from 1965-77. He was a reader of Archaeology at Delhi University from 1977-90. He moved to a teaching post in South Asian archaeology at Cambridge University in 1990 and was promoted to professor prior to his retirement in 2007.
- Ancient Bangladesh: A Study of the Archaeological Sources (1992) Delhi: Oxford University Press
- The Early Use of Iron in India (1992) Delhi: Oxford University Press
- Archaeology of Eastern India : Chhotanagpur Plateau and West Bengal (1993) Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Private Limited.
- Archaeology of coastal West Bengal: Twenty-four Parganas and Midnapur districts (1994) South Asian Studies,10:pp. 135–160
- A note on the use of metals in ancient Bengal, Pratnasamiksha (1994) Bulletin of the Directorate of Archaeology and Museums, Government of West Bengal, 2 & 3:pp. 155–158
- The Archaeology of Ancient Indian Cities (1995) Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Post-Mauryan states of mainland south Asia (1995) In: F. Raymond Allchin (ed.), The Archaeology of Early Historic South Asia, pp. 274–326. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Preliminary observations on the distribution of sites in the south Bihar plain (1995) South Asian Studies, 11:pp. 129–147
- Buddhist sites across south Asia as influenced by political and economic forces (1995) WorldArchaeology,27(2):pp. 185–202. JSTOR 125081
- Copper and its Alloys in Ancient India (1996) Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Private Limited
- From Purnea to Champaran: The distribution of sites in the north Bihar plains (1996) South Asian Studies, 12:pp. 147–158
- The Issues in East Indian Archaeology (1998) Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Private Limited
- India: An Archaeological History. Palaeolithic Beginnings to Early Historic Foundations (1999) Delhi: Oxford University Press
- Archaeological Geography of the Ganga Plain. The Lower and the Middle Ganga (2001) Delhi: Permanent Black
- The Archaeology of European Expansion in India, Gujarat, c. 16th–18th Centuries (2003) Delhi: Aryan Books International
- Archaeology in the Third World: A History of Indian Archaeology since 1947 (2003) Delhi: D. K. Printworld Private Limited
- A Sourcebook of Indian Archaeology. Volume 3. Prehistoric Roots of Religious Beliefs, Human Remains, The First Steps in Historical Archaeology: Sculpture, Architecture, Coins and Inscriptions (ed. with F. Raymond Allchin) (2003) Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Private Ltd.
- Indus Civilization Sites in India: New Discoveries (ed.) (2004) Mumbai: Marg Publications
- The Archaeology of the Deccan Routes: The Ancient Routes from the Ganga Plain to the Deccan (2005) New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Private Limited
- Archaeological Geography of the Ganga Plain: The Upper Ganga (Oudh, Rohilkhand, and the Doab) (2008) New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Private Limited