D. P. Agrawal
D. P. Agrawal (Dharma Pal Agrawal) is a historian of Indian science and technology, archaeologist, and author. He has published works on Indian archaeology, metallurgy, the history of science, and palaeoclimate.
D. P. Agrawal has worked with the Archaeological Survey of India, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Bombay and Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahemdabad. His research contributions have spanned disciplines, mainly in the fields of archaeology, radiocarbon & TL dating, archaeometallurgy, Traditional Knowledge Systems and palaeoenvironment. Agrawal has done extensive work on archaeometallurgy of the Harappa Culture, the Copper Hoards Culture, and also in the Central Himalayan region. Agrawal has specialised in the use of scientific techniques for archaeological research. He has also made fundamental theoretical contributions in the fields of language and evolution, flaking mechanics, archaeological theories and concept of time. He retired as a senior professor and chairman of a large multidisciplinary group at Physical Research Laboratory. He has organised and attended numerous national and international symposia. He has given invited talks at the leading centres of archaeological and palaeoenvironmental research both in India and abroad. He has been a visiting professor at the University of Pennsylvania and also at the International Research Center at Kyoto for a year each. He has published 15 books and about 250 papers. He was a member of the advisory board of World Archaeology, Le’Anthroplogie and has edited Man & Environment for a number of years. He has been the chairman of Indian Society for Prehistoric and Quaternary Research. He is a member of the Central Advisory Board of Archaeology, and has been associated with several other academic committees – both national and international. He is a fellow of the Indian Academy of Science.
Currently[when?] he is the Director (hon.) of Lok Vigyan Kendra (LVK), an organisation devoted to the study of Traditional Knowledge Systems, especially in Uttaranchal, and History of Science and Technology. LVK is also addressing the problems related to the use of traditional technologies for the economic betterment of the Uttarakhand people.
At Almora, his native place, Agrawal also runs a Trust, Bratpalji Pannalalji Smriti Nyas. Through this trust he is able to provide some modest help to the needy and bright students of his home town..he also guide the civil service aspirants by the attending various seminars
- Agrawal, D. P. 1971. The Copper Bronze Age in India. New Delhi :Munshiram Manoharlal
- Agrawal, D. P. and A . Ghosh (eds). 1973. Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology. Bombay: TIFR
- Agrawal, D. P. and S. Kusumgar. 1974. Prehistoric Chronology and Radiocarbon Dating in India. New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal
- Agrawal, D .P. and P.L. Agrawal. 1975. Protohistoric Archaeology of India (Hindi). Lucknow: U.P. Granth Akademi
- Agrawal, D.P. and B.M. Pande. (eds) 1977. Ecology and Archaeology of Western India. New Delhi : Concept Publishers
- Agrawal, D.P. and D.Chakrabarti. (Eds) 1978. Essays in Indian Protohistory. New Delhi: B.R.Publishers.
- Agrawal, D.P. 1981. The Archaeology of India. London : Curzon Press.
- Agrawal, D.P., R.V.Krishnamurthy and S.Kusumgar. (Eds) 1985. Climate and Geology of Kashmir and Central India : The Last 4 Million years. New Delhi : T.T.Publishers.
- Agrawal, D.P., S.K.Gupta and P.Sharma. (Eds) 1988. Palaeoclimatic and Palaeoenvironmental Changes in Asia. New Delhi : Indian National Science Academy.
- Agrawal, D.P. 1992. Man and Environment in India through Ages. New Delhi : Books and Books.
- Agrawal, D.P. and M.G.Vadava. 1995. Dating the Human Past. Poona : ISPQUS.
- Agrawal, D.P. and J.S. Kharakwal. 1998. Central Himalayas: an Archaeological, Linguistic and Cultural Synthesis. Delhi: Aryan Books International.
- Agrawal. D.P. 2000. Ancient Metal Technology & Archaeology of South Asia. Delhi: Aryan Books International.
- Agrawal, D.P. & J.S. Kharakwal. 2002. South Asian Prehistory. Delhi: Aryan Books International.
- Agrawal, D.P. & J.S. Kharakwal. 2003. Bronze and Iron Ages in South Asia. Delhi: Aryan Books International.
- Agrawal, D.P. 2007. The Indus Civilization: An Interdisciplinary Perspective: Delhi: Aryan Books International.
- Agrawal, D.P., Mainkant Shah and Lalit Tiwari. In press. A Multidisciplinary Study of Traditional Knowledge Systems of Uttaranchal. Delhi: IGNCA.
- Agrawal, D.P. In prep. The Concepts of Time and Cultural Conditioning.
- Agrawal, D.P. 2007. Traditional Knowledge & Archaeology. (Eds.) D.P. Agrawal, Sameer Jamal, and Manikant Shah. Delhi: Aryan Books International.
- The Harappan Technology and its Legacy. 2009. Delhi: Rupa and Co. & Infinity Foundation.
- "UPSC questions poorly framed, says Indian History Congress". The Hindu. 19 February 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- Dharma Pal Agrawal, Brief Bio-Data, Infinity Foundation, Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Dharma Pal Agrawal, researcher, archaeologist, Prabook, Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Dharma Pal Agrawal, Participant detail, 2002 Indic Colloquium, Infinity Foundation.