25 September 1932 |
Keelavellaimalaipatti, Usilampatti, Tamil Nadu
|Political party||Communist party of India|
D. Pandian is an Indian politician and former Member of Parliament elected from Tamil Nadu. He was elected to the Lok Sabha as an Indian National Congress's United People Alliance (UPA-1) - United Communist Party of India (UCPI) candidate from North Chennai constituency in 1989 and 1991 elections. He was the Tamil Nadu State Secretary of the Communist Party of India for nearly six years, till 2015 when he was succeeded by R. Mutharasan 
Early life and Career
He was a lecturer in English in Alagppa College in Karaikudi. He was the first general secretary of the Tamil Nadu Kalai Ilakkiya Perumandram launched by late P. Jeevanandam. He was the president of Indian Railway Labour Union. His son is P. David Jawahar who is a Registrar of University of Madras, Tamil Nadu.
Sri Lanka and Rajiv Gandhi
He was seriously injured while accompanying former Prime Minister, Shri Rajiv Gandhi to Sriperumbudur on 21 May, when the latter was assassinated. He was scheduled to translate the speech of Shri Rajiv Gandhi. He also showed keen interest in fighting for Sri Lankan Tamil people. He has written books about the life history of many leaders. Janashakthi daily news paper is under the control of Mr. Pandiayan. He speaks very well in stage and press conference meetings and many seems to like his speech.
Anti-Nuclear protests in Kudankulam
D. Pandian has been supporting the Nuclear plant at Kudankulam. But his recent pronouncements have indicated a change in his thinking and has mentioned that exempting Russians from their liability is unacceptable.
- Volume I, 1989 Indian general election, 9th Lok Sabha Archived 10 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Volume I, 1991 Indian general election, 10th Lok Sabha Archived 9 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Cities / Coimbatore : Mutharasan, CPI State secretary". The Hindu. 2015-03-01. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : On D. Pandian’s 80th birthday, Nallakannu calls for political unity
- "Members Bioprofile". 184.108.40.206. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Indian Left And The Nuclear Hypocrisy". Retrieved 2012-10-11.
- "Exempting Russians from n-liability unacceptable: CPI – New York Daily News". Archived from the original on 22 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-11.