D. R. Horton
|Traded as||NYSE: DHI|
S&P 500 Index component
|Founder||Donald Ray Horton|
| Donald R. Horton, Chairman|
David V. Auld, President & CEO
Bill W. Wheat, CFO
|45,751 new home deliveries|
|Revenue||$14.091 billion (2017)|
|$1.038 billion (2017)|
|Total assets||$12.184 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||$7.747 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
D.R. Horton, Inc. is a home construction company incorporated in Delaware and headquartered in Arlington, Texas. Since 2002, the company has been the largest homebuilder by volume in the United States.The company ranked no. 194 on the 2019 Fortune 500 list of the largest United States corporations by revenue. The company operates in 90 markets in 29 states.
D.R. Horton operates four brands: D.R. Horton, Emerald Homes, Express Homes, and Freedom Homes. Express Homes is tailored to entry-level buyers while the Emerald Homes brand is sold as luxury real estate. Freedom Homes caters to the active adult community.
The company was founded in 1978 by Donald R. Horton.
In 1999, the company acquired Century Title Agency.
In April 2015, the company acquired Pacific Ridge Homes, based in Seattle, for $72 million. The acquisition included 350 lots, 90 homes in inventory and 40 homes in sales order backlog. Horton also acquired control of about 400 lots through option contracts.
In 2016, the company acquired Wilson Parker Homes for $90 million.
In 2018, the company acquired Terramor Homes, Classic Builders and Westport Homes.
The Supreme Court of the United States will hear the appeal of a case in which the National Labor Relations Board held that the company violated the National Labor Relations Act by requiring its employees to sign an arbitration agreement that prohibited them from pursuing claims in a collective or class action.
- "D. R. Horton, Inc. 2017 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "The Top 100: 2017". builderonline.com.
- "Fortune 500: D. R. Horton". Fortune.
- "Donald R Horton, The 400 Richest Americans - Forbes.com". www.forbes.com. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "D. R. HORTON SET TO BUY CONTINENTAL HOMES". The New York Times. Bloomberg News. December 20, 1997.
- "D.R. Horton enters Tucson market". American City Business Journals. June 24, 1997.
- "D.R. HORTON, HOME BUILDERS, APPOINTS KEY OFFICERS". The New York Times. Bloomberg News. December 20, 1997.
- "D.R. Horton announces acquisition". American City Business Journals. December 21, 1998.
- "D.R. Horton Inc. acquires leading title agency in Phoenix". American City Business Journals. July 7, 1999.
- "D.R. Horton completes Emerald Builders buy". American City Business Journals. July 18, 2001.
- Daniels, Earl (May 19, 2001). "Fortress Homes bought, to be named Continental by year's end". The Florida Times-Union.
- "D.R. Horton acquires Florida homebuilder". American City Business Journals. May 2, 2001.
- "HORTON ACQUIRES ANOTHER HOME BUILDER". The New York Times. Bloomberg News. October 24, 2001.
- "D.R Horton closes Schuler Homes buy". American City Business Journals. February 22, 2002.
- Perez, Christine (April 21, 2002). "D.R. Horton buys 300 acres at Craig Ranch". American City Business Journals.
- Snyder, Eric (March 1, 2013). "D.R. Horton, nation's largest homebuilder, enters Nashville market". American City Business Journals.
- Maurus, Christine (April 27, 2015). "D.R. Horton to buy Pacific Ridge Homes in Seattle-area expansion". The Seattle Times.
- Carlisle, Candace (April 27, 2015). "Homebuilding giant D.R. Horton gets bigger with $72M acquisition". American City Business Journals.
- Shimogawa, Duane (May 7, 2015). "D.R. Horton gets OK for 11,750-home Hoopili project in West Oahu". American City Business Journals.
- Allison, David (September 6, 2016). "D.R. Horton acquires homebuilding operations of Wilson Parker Homes". American City Business Journals.
- "Fort Worth Star-Telegram". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. June 19, 2017. and acquired a majority ownership in land developer Forestar Group, Inc.
- "D.R. Horton v. NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS BOARD" (PDF). United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. December 3, 2013.
- Business data for D.R. Horton, Inc.: