D. R. Karthikeyan
|D. Ramasamy Karthikeyan|
|Born||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Alma mater||Annamalai University
Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College, Chennai
Director General, National Human Rights Commission (India)
Director, Central Bureau of Investigation (1998)
Former Special Director General, Central Reserve Police Force
D. R. Karthikeyan (Devarayapuram Ramasamy Karthikeyan) is an Indian Police Service Officer from Tamil Nadu, and a former special director of the Central Bureau of Investigation and Director General, National Human Rights Commission.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
D. R. Karthikeyan was born to an agricultural family in a small village called Devarayapuram in Coimbatore District, Tamil Nadu, India. He obtained a B.Sc. degree in Chemistry and Agriculture from the Annamalai University. He worked in the field of agriculture in the ancestral farm of his native village for a year. He also obtained a Bachelor of Law degree from the Madras Law College and was enrolled as an Advocate in the Bar Council of Madras.
After passing the Combined Competitive Examinations for Senior Civil Services, he joined the Indian Police Service (IPS) in 1964. Mr. Karthikeyan went through extensive training in that field which included being trained at the National Police Academy in Mount Abu.
Karthikeyan has held various offices:
- Deputy Commissioner of Police, Law and Order, Bangalore
- Deputy Inspector General of Police, Karnataka State Intelligence Department
- Head of Karnataka State Police Academy
- Inspector General of Police, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Southern Sector, Hyderabad
- First Secretary in the Embassy of India, Moscow, Russia (1974-1977)
- Embassy of India, Sydney, Australia (1985-1989), promoting Indian exports to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji
- Director, Central Bureau of Investigation (1998)
- Director General, National Human Rights Commission
- President (Age-Care India, New Delhi)
Rajiv Gandhi assassination case
Karthikeyan headed the Special Investigation Team that probed the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case. At the invitation of INTERPOL, he made an audiovisual presentation of the investigation before an assembly of top police officers, who commended Mr Karthikeyan for the model investigation.
- "Profile of D.R.Karthikeyan".
- "Aamir, Rahman awarded Padma Bhushan". March 31, 2010. Archived from the original on October 18, 2012. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Varughese, Suma. "Transformation - Interviews - D.R. Karthikeyan". Life Positive. Archived from the original on 18 January 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- "The Rediff Interview/ D R Karthikeyan". Rediff. May 14, 1999. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- "A crack investigative team". Frontline. 15 (3). February 7–20, 1998. Archived from the original on 18 April 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
|This Indian law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|