||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
A DASH Gillig Phantom at King Street – Old Town station
|Slogan||Keeping Alexandria Moving|
|Parent||City of Alexandria|
|Headquarters||3000 Business Center Drive, Alexandria, VA|
|Service area||Alexandria, Virginia|
|Service type||Bus service|
|Routes||10 and the King Street Trolley|
|Daily ridership||13,400 (2015)|
|Annual ridership||4,209,500 (2015)|
|Fuel type||Diesel, Diesel-electric Hybrid|
|Operator||Alexandria Transit Company|
Driving Alexandria Safely Home (DASH) is the public bus system for the city of Alexandria, Virginia, operated by the Alexandria Transit Company, a non-profit organization wholly owned by the city.
DASH was founded in 1984 with a fleet of 17 buses by the City of Alexandria to supplement Metrobus service within the city. In its first year of operation, DASH carried less than one million passengers. Today, DASH carries over 4 million passengers a year and has a fleet of 79 buses.
DASH carries over 13,000 passengers per weekday within the City of Alexandria, Virginia. The AT8 route, which runs through the Duke Street corridor, is DASH's busiest route with about 3,000 rides per weekday. In 2011, DASH ordered three new 40' Gillig Low Floor diesel-electric hybrid buses, which are 5' longer than the rest of the DASH fleet. These buses went into service in April 2012. Five additional 40' Gillig Low Floor diesel-electric hybrid buses went into service in March 2013. The new 40' buses are used on the AT8 route to reduce crowding. On July 28, 2014, DASH introduced the new AT9 Crosstown Route. The AT9 provides crosstown connections between Mark Center, Southern Towers, Northern Virginia Community College, Bradlee Shopping Center, Shirlington Transit Center in Arlington, Parkfairfax, Arlandria and Potomac Yard.
DASH's current base fare is $1.60 for riders paying cash or SmarTrip. In 2007, DASH converted its buses to allow the use of the WMATA SmarTrip, an electronic debit farecard. DASH continued to accept and issue paper transfers until they were eliminated altogether January 1, 2013.
DASH bus fleet roster (current as of July 2015):
- 1999 35' Orion V (59-68)
- 2001 35' Orion V (69-76)
- 2004 35' Orion V (77-90)
- 2007 35' Orion V (91-99)
- 2007 35' Gillig Phantom (100-103)
- 2011 35' Gillig Advantage Low Floor HEV (200-206)
- 2012 35' Gillig Advantage Low Floor HEV (207-211)
- 2014 35' Gillig Advantage Low Floor HEV (212-216)
- 2015 35' Gillig Advantage Low Floor HEV (217-229)
- 2011 40' Gillig Advantage Low Floor HEV (300-302)
- 2012 40' Gillig Advantage Low Floor HEV (303-307)
- 2014 40' Gillig Advantage Low Floor HEV (308-311)
- 2011 29' Gillig Advantage Low Floor Trolley HEV (400-404)^
- 2015 35' Gillig Advantage Low Floor Trolley HEV (405)^
^operates under the King Street Trolley branding
All buses are now equipped with bike racks.
|AT1||Van Dorn Street station, Eisenhower Avenue - Seminary Plaza|
|AT2||Braddock Road station – Landmark|
|AT3||Hunting Point – Shirlington|
|AT4||Old Town – Pentagon City station|
|AT3/4||Old Town Alexandria via Parkfairfax Loop|
|AT5||Braddock Road railway station – Van Dorn Street station|
|AT6||King Street – Old Town - Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC)|
|AT7||Nannie J. Lee Center - Landmark Mall|
|AT8||Van Dorn Street station - Old Town Alexandria|
|AT9||Potomac Yard Shopping Center - Mark Center|
|AT10||King Street – Old Town - Potomac Yard Shopping Center|
|King Street Trolley||Potomac River Waterfront - King Street – Old Town|
- "Transit Ridership Report Fourth Quarter 2015" (pdf). American Public Transportation Association. March 2, 2016. Retrieved 2016-03-19 – via http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Pages/ridershipreport.aspx.
- "DASH Alexandria Transit Announces Launch of Website Redesign". Alexandria Transit Company. March 10, 2009. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "Important DASH Pass News!". Alexandria Transit Company. October 17, 2012. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "Bike-N-Roll on All DASH Buses". Alexandria Transit Company. February 20, 2013. Retrieved 2016-07-17.