DB Schenker HQ in Frankfurt am Main
|Logistics, rail freight|
|Predecessor||Schenker AG, Railion|
|Products||Transportation and logistics|
Number of employees
|Parent||Deutsche Bahn AG|
DB Schenker is a division of the German rail operator Deutsche Bahn AG that focuses on logistics. The company, created by reorganisation and rebranding of Deutsche Bahn subsidiaries, comprises a logistics division encompassing air, land, and sea freight, and a rail division made up from European rail freight companies.
Since December 2007 DB Schenker has been the freight logistics subsidiary of Deutsche Bahn. DB Schenker combines all transport and logistic activities of Deutsche Bahn (DB Schenker rail and DB Schenker logistics) employing over 94,600 staff spread across about 2,000 locations in about 140 countries.
DB Schenker bought out the British rail haulage firm English Welsh & Scottish Railway (EWS) in 2007, and from 1 January 2009 the logistics operations of the companies DB-Schenker, Railion, EWS, and Transfesa were all combined under the DB Schenker brand name.
Since 2016, the UK operation has operated under the DB Cargo UK brand name. DB Schenker now is the biggest freight operator in the United Kingdom, and also operates the British Royal Train used by Queen Elizabeth II and the Royal Family.
Schenker AG and its many subsidiaries handle worldwide logistics operations including Land Transport, Air and Ocean Freight as well as Contract Logistics/SCM, and is part of the DB Schenker organisation.
The European rail branch of the company is split into five units:
- Region West: France, Spain and the United Kingdom
- Region Germany/Central: Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Austria, Liechtenstein and Switzerland
- Region East: Bulgaria, Poland, Romania and Russia
- Intermodal (responsible for pan-European business)
- Automotive (responsible for pan-European business)
- "From the railroad and Gottfried Schenker to DB Schenker". DB Schenker. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "DB Mobility Logistics AG - Head Office DB Schenker". DB Schenker. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Profile: Global Logistics Expertise with a Strong Rail Foundation". About DB Schenker. DB Schenker. 6 September 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-07-03.
- About DB Schenker dbschenker.com Archived 2012-07-30 at Archive.is
- The UK's leading rail freight company announces rebrand DB Cargo UK 2 March 2016
- "DB joint venture to operate Etihad Rail freight trains". Railway Gazette International. Retrieved 1 July 2013.