DC Comics Bonus Book
DC Comics Bonus Books were 16-page comic book stories inserted into issues of existing DC Comics series to showcase new writers and artists. Running from April 1988 to February 1989, they consisted of a front cover, 14 pages of story, and a back cover with a brief biography of the story's creators. The addition of the insert did not entail an increase in the price of the comic book. The Bonus Books featured early work by such comics creators as Mark Askwith, Jim Balent, Randy DuBurke, Dean Haspiel, Rob Liefeld, Gordon Purcell, and Denis Rodier.
- McMillan, Graeme (December 11, 2013). "Top 10 Events DC Could Revive For Future New 52 Anniversaries". Newsarama. Archived from the original on December 13, 2013. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
For just under a year (between April 1988 and February 1989 cover dates, in fact), one DC title each month would have an additional 16 page story in the guise of a separate comic, right in the middle of the book. These "Bonus Books" were used to try out new talent.
- Carbonaro, Paul (January 15, 1988). "The Warlord". Amazing Heroes. Fantagraphics Books (133): 192.
16-page inserts will be rotated through various DC titles...in 1988. They will be produced by new talent, and one such insert will appear in Warlord.
- Aamodt, Britt (2010). Superheroes, Strip Artists, & Talking Animals: Minnesota's Contemporary Cartoonists. Saint Paul, Minnesota: Minnesota Historical Society Press. p. 88. ISBN 978-0873517775.
DC also gave the young cartoonist a one-off assignment. They asked him to work on a bonus book (a free comic stuffed inside another comic) that would be paired with the next issue of Flash.
- Greenberger, Robert (April 2014). "New Talent and Bonus Babies". Back Issue!. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing (71): 71–73.
- Action Comics #599 at the Grand Comics Database
- The Flash vol. 2 #12 at the Grand Comics Database
- Doom Patrol vol. 2 #9 at the Grand Comics Database
- Wonder Woman vol. 2 #18 at the Grand Comics Database
- Detective Comics #589 at the Grand Comics Database
- The Warlord #131 at the Grand Comics Database
- Mangels, Andy (July 15, 1988). "Justice League International". Amazing Heroes. Fantagraphics Books (145): 129.
Justice League International #18 will contain a Bonus Book. The story will be written by Mark Askwith, penciled by Jim Webb, and inked by Mark Pennington, and concerns the construction of Mr. Miracle's dream house.
- Justice League International #18 at the Grand Comics Database
- Power of the Atom #4 at the Grand Comics Database
- The Flash vol. 2 #19 at the Grand Comics Database
- Suicide Squad #21 at the Grand Comics Database
- Detective Comics #595 at the Grand Comics Database
- Wonder Woman vol. 2 #26 at the Grand Comics Database
- Justice League International #24 at the Grand Comics Database