|Headquarters||Huntington Beach, California, United States|
|Ken Block, Damon Way, Danny Way, Colin McKay, Rob Dyrdek|
|Products||Footwear, apparel, snowboards|
DC Shoes is an American company that specializes in footwear for action sports, including skateboarding and snowboarding. The company also manufactures apparel, bags, accessories, hats, shirts, and posters.
This section may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
The company was founded in June 1994 by Damon Way and Ken Block. It was originally based in Carlsbad, California, but is now based in Huntington Beach, California, United States. DC originally stood for "Droors Clothing", but since the sale of Droors Clothing, DC no longer has ties to Droors and is simply DC Shoes, Inc.
On March 8, 2004, DC Shoes was acquired by Quiksilver in an $87 million transaction. In 2010, DC Shoes moved from Vista, California, to Quiksilver's headquarters in Huntington Beach. A video entitled Skateboarding Is Forever was released online in 2010 and featured parts from the amateur DC skateboard team at the time: Marquise Henry, Matt Miller, Wes Kremer, Evan Smith, and Greg Myers. Apart from Myers and Henry, all of the skateboarders from the video remained sponsored by the company back in 2013, and have since attained professional status.
In 2011, the brand underwent a rejuvenation process that included the design of a new flag logo. As part of this process, new skateboard team announcements were progressively made and a series of advertisements, under the direction of new team member Steve Berra, were released online. The other new team announcements were Mikey Taylor, Mike Mo Capaldi, Nyjah Huston, Chris Cole, and Davis Torgerson. Felipe Gustavo was introduced at a later stage.
A further progression of the brand relaunch was the "Rediscovery" campaign that commenced in December 2011, following the addition of Capaldi and Huston to the skateboard team. The campaign is entitled "Rediscover DC" and the launch signified the first time that the entire DC team had been brought together in nearly a decade.
The first individual installment of the campaign was entitled "Rediscover Technology" and featured Chris Cole's signature shoe. The subsequent instalments are as follows:
- Rediscover the Road: Mike Mo (March 2012)
- Rediscover Oz: Team (March 2012)
- Rediscover Dreams: Danny Way (April 2012)
- Rediscover Opportunity: Matt Miller (May 2012)
- Rediscover Heritage: Josh Kalis (June 2012)
- Rediscover Mikey Taylor: Mikey Taylor (July 2012)
- Rediscover Home: Felipe Gustavo (September 2012)
- Rediscover Youth: DC Youth Division (October 2012)
Following the brand relaunch, Taylor was the first new team member to release a signature model, as well as a corresponding full video part, both of which were launched in July 2012. As of August 2012, the DC company had entered the women's market and the "Women's Fall 12 Collection" consisted of footwear, apparel, accessories, soft goods, and accessories.
In the first half of 2013, the promotion of new team members continued as Capaldi ("Mike Mo S"), Kremer ("Wes Kremer Pro"), and Huston released signature shoe models. On the final night of May 2013, a launch event was held at the Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles, California, U.S. for the first signature model skate shoe of Huston's career, with Pete Rock in the role of DJ. The model is named the "Nyjah Huston Signature Shoe" and the promotional advertisement features Huston executing a trick at set of stairs at Hollywood High School in Los Angeles, U.S.
Cyril Jackson, accompanied by the "Baker Council S" shoe model, was introduced as a new amateur team member in mid-August 2013.
Miller's first professional shoe model with the brand was announced on October 6, 2014. Titled the "Matt Miller S," the shoe was released after Miller had been sponsored by DC Shoes for six years. The company's skate team embarked on the "Defy Convention Asia" tour at the start of November 2014.
Tristan Funkhouser and Bobby De Keyzer were added to the global skateboarding team amateur squad on December 19, 2014, through the release of a YouTube welcome video that is just under 10 minutes in duration. The company described both additions as "unique" in the promotional blurb for the "Defunkt" video.
- Evan Smith
- Josh Kalis
- Youra Huston
- Matt Miller
- Wes Kremer
- Danny Way
- Brian Wenning
- Thaynan Costa
- Madars Apse
- Tommy fynn
- Thomas Kitchenham
- John Shanahan
- Tristan Funkhouser
- Rob Dyrdek
- Ryan Gallant
- Mike Carroll
- Anthony Van Engelen
- Stevie Williams
- Austin Richardson
- Rick Howard
- Keith Hufnagel
- Steve Polychronopolus
- Moses Itkonen
- Rudy Johnson
- Scott Johnson
- Caine Gayle
- Carl Shipman
- Nyjah Huston
- Mikey Taylor
- Mike Mo Capaldi
- Felipe Gustavo
- Chris Cole
- Tiago Lemos
Similar to other larger brands, such as Nike, Inc. and Adidas, DC sponsors regional teams in addition to its global team. Initially, national teams, such as the DC Shoes China team, DC Shoes Spain team, DC Shoes Norway, and DC Shoes Australia were formed, but in 2013 the various skate teams seem to have been merged and united under regional titles. However, as of July 2013, DC Shoes Canada has not been officially disbanded and the team consists of Morgan Smith, Josh Clark, Sascha Daley, Micky Papa, Paul Trep, Will Marshall, Mitch Barrette, Bobby Dekyzer, and Chad Dickson. Additionally, as of September 2013, a UK "National" team exists, and consists of Conhuir Lynn, Dave Snaddon, Sean Smith, Dylan Hughes, and Nicky Howells.
As of September 2013, the DC Shoes Europe team consists of Madars Apse, Josef Skott Jatta, Thaynan Costa, Michael Sommer, Javier Paredes, Bruno Aballay, Antony Lopez, Ruben Garcia, and Manuel Margreiter. In late 2012, an Asia Pacific (DC APAC) team superseded the Australian team and will presumably incorporate skateboarders from the Chinese team, such as Taiwan pro Adee Lu, as well as other parts of the Asia-Pacific region. Tommy Fynn was introduced as the first member of DC's APAC skate team, followed by fellow Australian Jake Hayes, whose welcome video part was published on the Internet in April 2013.
As of November 1, 2014, the regional teams were no longer listed on the company's websites.
- Devun Walsh
- Torstein Horgmo
- Iikka Backstrom
- Mons Roisland
- Sebbe De Buck
- Travis Rice
- Jordan Morse
- Brady Lem
- Justin Fronius
- Anto Chamberland
- Jonathan Lindhe
- Thomas Pagès
- Ryan Villopoto
- Travis Pastrana
- Jeremy McGrath
- Robbie Maddison
- Nate Adams
- Andre Villa
- Trey Canard
- Kyle Regal
- PJ Larsen
- Adam Cianciarulo
- Jeffrey Herlings
- James Stewart
- Ricky Carmichael
- Jeff Emig
- Mike Cinqmars
- Ryan Hughes
- Jimmy Button
- Adam Jones
- Malcolm Stewart
- Jason Anderson
- Ryan Morais
- Martin Davalos
- Josh Hill
- Justin Hill
- Davi Millsaps
- Broc Tickle
- Ian Trettel
- Zack Bell
- Nico Izzi
- Tommy Searle
- Jolene Van Vugt
- Matt Moss
- Max Anstie
- Carson Mumford
- Chase Bell
- Tyler Bereman
- Chris Plouffe
- Mitch Alcorn
On June 15, 2016 DC Shoes introduced their new global surf team marking the return of the DC Shoes Surfing platform since 2003.
- Bruce Irons
- Ezekiel Lau
- Kanoa Igrashi
- Leonardo Fioravanti
- Shane Dorian
- Andy Irons
- Chad Kagy
- Allen Cooke (BMX)
- Dave Mirra
- Robbie Miranda
- Broc Raiford
- Chris Doyle
- Colin Winkelmann
- Jerry Bagley
- Dylan Stark
- Edwin De La Rosa
- Alfredo Mancuso
- Neal Wood
- Rob Wise
- Anthony Napolitan
- Mike "Hucker" Clark
- Corey Bohan
- Jeremiah Smith
- Stevie Churchill
- Kelly Bolton
- Brett Banasiewicz
- Robbie Morales
- Daniel Dhers
- DC (2012). "SHOP". DC. DC SHOES, INC. Archived from the original on 24 May 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "About Us". DC Shoes. DC Shoes, Inc. 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Fast Company (12 June 2003). "Putting Your Best Foot Forward". Fast Company. Mansueto Ventures LLC. Archived from the original on 26 October 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Quiksilver, Form 8-K, Current Report, Filing Date Mar 10, 2004". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Apr 1, 2013.
- Conor Dougherty (9 March 2004). "DC Shoes OKs $87,000,000 offer from Quiksilver". The Union–Tribune. Archived from the original on 5 May 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- Hamanaka, Kari (June 6, 2011). "Big Apparel Makers Post 5% Increase in Local Jobs". Orange County Business Journal. 34 (23): 31.
- Templeton Elliot (6 May 2011). "New DC Skate Logo". The Skateboard Mag. Strictly Skateboarding. Archived from the original on 4 February 2013. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Commercials". Michael Poore. Michael Poore. 2011. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- DCshoesFILM (31 December 2011). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER DC - TEAM 2012". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- Editor (2 January 2012). "DC LAUNCHES NEW YEAR WITH NEW SKATE TEAM". BNQT.com. BNQT Media Group / USA Today Sports. Retrieved 10 April 2013.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)[permanent dead link]
- Masa (22 March 2013). "DC SHOES – "THE EVAN SMITH EXPERIENCE" | VIDEO". freshness. Complex Media. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- DCshoesFilm (17 September 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER HOME - FELIPE GUSTAVO - PART 1" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- Amy Sciarretto (3 January 2012). "DC Shoes Launches Rediscover DC Campaign". Artist Direct. Rogue Digital, LLC. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- DCshoesFilm (6 February 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER TECHNOLOGY - CHRIS COLE LITE S" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- DCshoesFilm (5 March 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER THE ROAD -- MIKE MO" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- DCshoesFilm (12 March 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER OZ -- OZSOME DEMO EDIT" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- DCshoesFilm (11 April 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER DREAMS -- DANNY WAY" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- DCshoesFilm (7 May 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER OPPORTUNITY -- MATT MILLER" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- DCshoesFilm (8 June 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER HERITAGE -- CENTRIC S KALIS" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- DCshoesFilm (22 July 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER MIKEY TAYLOR" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- DCshoesFilm (15 October 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER YOUTH" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- Aaron Smith (23 July 2012). "DC SHOES: REDISCOVER MIKEY TAYLOR". Skateboarder Magazine. GrindMedia, LLC. Archived from the original on 30 June 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- DC (2012). "Women's". DC. DC SHOES INC. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- David Read (15 January 2013). "DC SHOES: MIKE MO SIGNATURE SHOE". Manual Magazine. First Floor Publishing Ltd. Archived from the original on 10 February 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "DC MIKE MO S REVIEW". Ripped Laces. Ripped Laces shoes reviews. 6 March 2013. Archived from the original on 9 September 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- TWS (8 April 2013). "YES ON WES—LEGALIZE THE WES KREMER PRO!". TransWorld SKATEboarding. Bonnier Corporation. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- DCshoesFILM (7 April 2013). "DC SHOES: YES ON WES - LEGALIZE THE WES KREMER PRO!" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- DCshoesFILM (31 May 2013). "DC SHOES: NYJAH HUSTON SIGNATURE SHOE - WITH IMPACT G TECHNOLOGY" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- TWS (19 August 2013). "DC SHOES CYRIL JACKSON & THE BAKER COUNCIL S". TransWorld Skateboarding. GrindMedia. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Kailee Bradstreet (6 October 2014). "DC Shoes Releases First Matt Miller Pro Shoe". TransWorld Business. TEN. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "2 days ago". dcshoes on Instagram. Instagram. 1 November 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "DC SHOES: DEFUNKT INTRODUCING TRISTAN FUNKHOUSER & BOBBY DE KEYZER" (Video upload). DC Shoes on YouTube. Google Inc. 19 December 2014. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "DC Shoes Drops Collaborative Lynx With Skate Jawn ⋆ SKATE NEWSWIRE". SKATE NEWSWIRE. 2019-05-17. Retrieved 2021-03-24.
- "John Shanahan Biography, Videos & Photos | DC Shoes". dcshoes.com. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "The Team". DC Shoes. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- "NIKE FAWKNER CLIP". Modus. FiveFoot4. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- Morgan Campbell (11 December 2012). "The Swoosh At The Dome". Skateboarding Australia Blog. Skateboarding Australia. Archived from the original on 21 April 2013. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- DaltonRogers1 (9 October 2010). "Adidas Skateboarding - Australian Team" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- adidasSkateboarding (11 June 2012). "adidas Skateboarding Sweden Team" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- adidasSkateboarding (3 December 2012). "adidas Skateboarding International Team" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Zhao Power (12 November 2012). "Brian Peacock - Welcome to DC Shoes" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- madeinozcustom (2 January 2013). "MANOLO ROBLES" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- cuscoide (29 April 2007). "#1 - DC Shoes Spain in Portugal" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "About". DC Shoes Norway on Facebook. Facebook. 1994. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "DC WELCOMES TOMMY FYNN". SLAM Skateboarding Magazine. SLAM Skateboarding Magazine. July 2012. Archived from the original on 17 April 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- Morgan Campbell (13 December 2012). "Tommy Fynn DC Part". Skateboarding Australia Blog. Skateboarding Australia. Archived from the original on 21 April 2013. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- DCShoesAustralia (12 July 2012). "DC Australia: Episode 1 - Skate Team Montage" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- DC Canada (July 2013). "AZ/DC" (Video upload). DC Canada on Vimeo. Vimeo LLC. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- DC Canada (17 September 2013). "DC Canada". DC Canada on Vimeo. Vimeo LLC. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Skate - Team - National". DC Shoes UK. DC Shoes, Inc. September 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- DCShoesFilmEurope (12 September 2013). "DC Shoes Europe - Russia Skate Trip" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Skate - Team Europe". DC Shoes Europe. DC Shoes, Inc. 17 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- DCShoesAustralia (12 December 2012). "DC APAC - Welcome Tommy Fynn" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- Templeton Elliot (12 April 2013). "Jake Hayes for DC Australia". The Skateboard Mag. Strictly Skateboarding. Archived from the original (Video upload) on 1 June 2013. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Moto – The Team – Pros". DC Shoes. DC Shoes, Inc. April 2013. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DC Shoes.|