DDoS attacks during the October 2011 South Korean by-election
The DDoS attacks during the October 2011 South Korean by-election were two separate denial-of-service attacks (DDoS) during the October 2011 by-election. The attacks for which the secretary of the Grand National Party was held responsible, were carried out in the hope of gaining an electoral advantage.
The attacks consisted of two separate denial-of-service attacks against two websites during the October 2011 by-election, on October 26th, 2011. One attack was against the website of the National Election Commission of South Korea and the other against the website of, the then mayoral candidate, Park Won-soon. The attacks were specifically made during the morning, when citizens would have been expected to look up information as to where to vote. It has been theorized that the attacks were made in the belief that a reduced turnout would have benefited Mrs. Na, the candidate from the Grand National Party (GNP). The National Police Agency later revealed that the secretary of the Grand National Party, lawmaker Choi Gu-sik, was responsible for the two attacks. The National Police Agency later arrested the secretary and four other associates.
The exposure of his role in the attacks led to Choi Gu-sik officially resigning his position as a lawmaker.
In the wake of the scandal, reformists in the conservative Grand National Party brought heavy pressure to bear on core members of the party closely affiliated to the Lee Myung-bak government; this in turn led to Park Geun-hye being brought back into the spotlight to reorganize the GNP.
More than 30 university student associations made a joint statement calling for a thorough investigation of the attacks.
- Kim, Eun-jung (2011-12-02). "Lawmaker's aide suspected of hacking into election Website". Yonhap News. Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- Park (박), Yong-ju (용주) (2011-12-02). "박원순·선관위 홈피공격 목적·배후 논란". Yonhap News (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- Park (박), Yong-ju (용주); Lee Sang-hyeon (이상현) (2011-12-03). "`선관위 홈피 공격' 최구식의원 비서 구속". Yonhap News (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- Lee (이), Seung-hun (승훈) (2011-12-02). "한나라당 비상상황... 트위터 보기 겁난다". OhMyNews (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2014-01-02. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- Kim (김), Hyeon-seop (현섭) (2011-12-04). "'디도스 파문' 최구식 의원, 당직 사의 표명". Kuki News (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- Choi (최), Mun-seon (문선) (2011-12-10). "천막당사보다 더 독하게… 'MB와 선긋기' 카드 검토". Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Na, Jeong-ju (2012-01-04). "Student councils call for thorough investigation into DDoS scandal". Korea Times. Archived from the original on 2012-01-08. Retrieved 2012-01-05.