|Public, USE: DFCU|
|Founded||January 1, 1964|
|Headquarters||26 Kyaddondo Road
Nakasero, Kampala, Uganda
|Products||Loans, checking, savings, investments, debit cards, credit cards, mortgages|
|Revenue||Aftertax: UGX:106.9 billion (US$29 million) (2017)|
|Total assets||USh3.03 trillion (US$821.6 million) (2017)|
Number of employees
DFCU Bank, registered as the Development Finance Company of Uganda Bank Limited and commonly known as DFCU, is a commercial bank in Uganda. It is licensed by the Bank of Uganda, the central bank and national banking regulator.
As of December 2017, DFCU Bank was the second-largest commercial bank in Uganda, with total assets of USh3.03 trillion (US$821.6 million), with shareholders' equity of USh508.8 billion (US$138 million). As of 30 June 2017, DFCU Bank operated 67 branches and 100 automated teller machines.
DFCU Bank was established in 1964 as the Development Finance Company of Uganda. In 2000, DFCU acquired Gold Trust Bank, thereby transforming itself into a commercial bank.
On 25 July 2014, DFCU Bank acquired some of the assets and liabilities of the former Global Trust Bank, a small retail financial institution that the Bank of Uganda had closed. The acquisition included all customer deposit accounts and all loan accounts. Those assets not taken over by DFCU "will be liquidated by Bank of Uganda". The former assets of Global Trust Bank that DFCU acquired were valued at about UGX:73 billion.
On 27 January 2017, DFCU took over Crane Bank, which had been under the statutory management of the Bank of Uganda because Crane's liabilities exceeded its assets. The acquisition included all customer deposit accounts and some loan accounts.
Ownership and affiliation
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|2||CDC Group of the United Kingdom||
|3||National Social Security Fund (Uganda)||
|4||Kimberlite Frontier Africa Naster Fund||
|5||Two undisclosed Institutional Investors||
|6||SSB-Conrad N. Hilton Foundation||
|9||Bank of Uganda Staff Retirement Benefits Scheme||
- 1. DFCU Bank is a subsidiary of DFCU Group.
- 2. Arise BV is a special purpose vehicle company, formed in 2016 and co-owned by Norfund, FMO and Rabobank. Arise invests in African financial institutions.
With its headquarters in Kampala, DFCU Bank had branches in central, eastern, northern, and western Uganda. As of July 2017, the bank maintained 68 branches in Uganda. The branch network included the following locations, arranged alphabetically: The list includes some branches of the defunct Crane Bank.
- Abayita Ababiri Branch - 688/893, Block 438, Entebbe Road, Abayita Ababiri
- Abim Branch - 8 Lira-Kotido Road, Abim
- Acacia Branch - 24 Acacia Avenue, Kololo, Kampala
- Agago Branch - 1 Odok Road, Agago Town Council
- Arua Branch - KKT Centre, 16/22 Duka Road, Arua
- Ben Kiwanuka Branch 1 - Hidar Plaza, Ben Kiwanuka Street, Kampala
- Ben Kiwanuka Branch 2 - Sun City Plaza, 17 Ben Kiwanuka Street, Kampala
- Bugoloobi Branch - Kagga House, 2 Bandali Rise, Bugoloobi, Kampala
- Busia Branch - 101 & 103 Customs Road, Busia
- Bwaise Branch - 975-976 Sir Apollo Kaggwa Road, Bwaise, Kampala
- Dokolo Branch - Akeidebe Zone, Bata Road, Dokolo
- Elegu Branch - Gulu–Nimule Road, Elegu
- Entebbe Town Branch - 22 Kampala Road, Entebbe
- Entebbe Road Branch - Freedom City Mall, Namasuba, Kampala
- Gulu Branch - 1 Doctor Lucile Road, Gulu
- Gulu University Branch - DFI Block, University Avenue, Gulu University campus, Gulu
- Hoima Branch - Kasangaki Building, 58 Main Street, Hoima
- Ibanda Branch - 52 – 54 Rushere Road, Ibanda
- Iganga Branch - 80 & 82 Main Street, Iganga
- Impala House Branch - Impala House, 13 Kimathi Avenue, Kampala
- Ishaka Branch - 45 Ishaka-Rukungiri Road, Ishaka
- Isingiro Branch - 36 Kikagate Road, Isingiro
- IUIU Branch - Islamic University in Uganda campus, Mbale
- Jinja Branch - 10 Lady Alice Muloki Road, Jinja
- Jinja Road Branch - Crane Chambers, 38 Jinja Road, Kampala
- Kabale Branch - 143/145 Kabale Road, Kabale
- Kampala Road Branch - Crown House, 4A Kampala Road, Kampala
- Kawempe Branch - Kampala-Gulu Highway, Kawempe, Kampala
- Kikuubo Branch 1 - Sisa Arcade, 4 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Kikuubo Branch 2 - Nambusi Mariam Arcade, 18 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Kireka Branch - 106 Jinja Road, Kireka
- Kisekka Branch - Kisekka Market, 70 – 76 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Kisoro Branch - 65/75 North Ward, Kisoro
- Kitgum Branch - 19 Janan Luwum Street, Kitgum
- Kyaggwe Road Branch - 1st Floor, Nabugabo Business Centre, Kyaggwe Road, Kampala
- Kyengera Branch - 60/61, Block 333, Masaka Road, Kyengera
- Kyadondo Road Branch - DFCU House, 26 Kyaddondo Road, Nakasero, Kampala Main Branch
- Kyambogo Branch - 48/50, Mukabya Road, Kyambogo, Kampala
- Kyambogo University Branch - Kyambogo University, Kyambogo, Kampala
- Lira Branch - 4 Soroti Road, Lira
- Lugogo Branch - Lugogo Mall, Lugogo Bypass Road, Lugogo
- Luweero Branch - 846 Kampala-Gulu Highway, Luweero
- Lyantonde Branch - Lyantonde
- Makerere Branch - 45 Pool Road, Makerere University campus, Kampala
- Market Street Branch - Aponye City Mall, 8 Burton Street, Kampala
- Masaka Branch - 22 Kampala Road, Masaka
- Mbale Branch - 2 Court Road, Mbale
- Mbarara Branch - 73 High Street, Mbarara
- Mukono Branch - 18/20 Jinja Road, Mukono
- Naalya Branch - Quality Shopping Mall, Naalya
- Nakivubo Branch 1 (Gagawala Shauliyako), 40A, Nakivubo Place, Kampala
- Nakivubo Branch 2 - 26/27 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Nateete Branch - 757 Wakaliga, Nateete, Kampala
- Ndeeba Branch - 224 Masaka Road, Ndeeba, Kampala
- Nsambya Branch - 1207 Ggaba Road, Nsambya, Kampala
- Ntinda Branch 1 - Capital Shoppers City, Ntinda Road, Ntinda, Kampala
- Ntinda Branch 2 - 1B Ntinda Road, Ntinda, Kampala
- Ntungamo Branch - 18 Old Kabale Road, Ntungamo
- Owino Market Branch - 769 Kafumbe Mukasa Road, Kampala
- Pader Branch - 8 Lagwai Zone B, Pader
- Pallisa Branch - 8 Kasodo Road, Pallisa
- Royal Plaza Branch - 35 Luwum Street, Kampala
- Rushere Branch - 52 – 54 Rushere Road, Rushere
- Sixth Street Branch - 165 6th Street, Industrial Area, Kampala
- Soroti Branch - 38 Gweri Road, Soroti
- Tororo Branch - 9 & 11 Mbale Road, Tororo
- William Street Branch - 66 William Street, Kampala
- Wilson Lane Branch - 17 Wilson Lane, Kampala.
DFCU Group has built a ten-story headquarters building that also houses the main branch of DFCU Bank. The building is often referred to as DFCU House. Located at 26 Kyaddondo Road, on Nakasero Hill, in Kampala's central business district, the development has underground and surface parking, as well as rentable, retail, and office space on several levels.
- Banking in Uganda
- List of banks in Uganda
- List of tallest buildings in Kampala
- Asset allocation among commercial banks in Uganda
- DFCU Bank (28 March 2018). "DFCU Bank Limited Extract of Financial Statements for the year Ended 31 December 2017". Kampala: Uganda Securities Exchange. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- Mark Keith Muhumuza, and Jonathan Adengo (30 January 2017). "Crane Bank acquisition: What next for DFCU?". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- BOU (31 March 2017). "List of Licensed Commercial Banks As At 31 March 2017" (PDF). Kampala: Bank of Uganda (BOU). Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Mark Keith Muhumuza, and Jonathan Adengo (1 February 2017). "Dfcu closes 23 Crane Bank branches". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- The Independent (August 15, 2017). "DFCU Bank posts Sh114 billion net profit in first 6 months". The Independent (Uganda). Kampala. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- DFCU (4 July 2015). "DFCU Group: Who We Are". Kampala: DFCU Group. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- National, News (25 July 2014). "Global Trust Bank Shut Down". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Edgar Angumya, and Alon Mwesigwa (27 July 2014). "Uganda: Gold Trust Bank Loses Battle As DFCU Takes Over". The Observer (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "UPDATE 1-Uganda's Crane Bank assets, liabilities transferred to dfcu - central bank". Reuters. 27 January 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- Busuulwa, Bernard (16 October 2017). "Ugandan bank fails to sell all shares in mixed trade". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- USE (12 July 2017). "DFCU Profile At Uganda Securities Exchange Website". Kampala: Uganda Securities Exchange (USE). Archived from the original on 15 April 2014. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Staff Writer (14 February 2017). "Europe's Arise BV hits ground running with CAL Bank acquisition". Asokoinsight.com. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- DFCU (12 July 2017). "Branch Network of DFCU Bank In July 2017". Kampala: DFCU Group (DFCU). Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Kaujju, Peter (10 February 2005). "Dfcu Bank Opens Branch On Acacia Avenue". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Sanya, Wilfred (17 November 2009). "Isingiro District Gets First Bank". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Ssejjoba, Eddie (20 August 2009). "Dfcu in Jinja". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- DFCU (28 April 2016). "Welcome to DFCU Kyadondo Road Branch" (PDF). Kampala: DFCU Group (DFCU). Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- Sanya, Wilfred (26 January 2009). "DFCU Bank opens branch in Mbarara, focuses on regional expansion". New Vision. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "Kampala: Introducing the DFCU House". Symbion Group Plc. Retrieved 30 April 2014.