|Number of teams||2|
|Current champions||Bayern Munich
|Most successful club(s)||Bayern Munich
The DFL-Supercup (IPA: [ˈdeː ʔɛf ɛlː zuːpɐkap]) or German Super Cup is a one-off football match in Germany that features the winners of the Bundesliga championship and the DFB-Pokal. The DFL-Supercup is run by the Deutsche Fußball Liga (English: German Football League).
History and rules
In 1997, it was superseded by a league cup called DFB-Ligapokal. In 2008, although not officially sanctioned by the DFB, the match returned as the T-Home Supercup, featuring Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich and fellow German Cup finalists Borussia Dortmund. The match was a one-year replacement for the DFB-Ligapokal, which was cancelled for one season, due to schedule crowding caused by Euro 2008. The Supercup was reinstated from the 2010–11 season at the annual general meeting of the German Football League on 10 November 2009. The Supercup from then on was called the DFL-Supercup because it is now run by the Deutsche Fußball Liga, having previously been called the DFB-Supercup because it was run by the Deutscher Fußball-Bund (English: German Football Association).
Since 2010, in contrast to the DFB-Supercup, if one team wins the double —league and cup— the winner plays the runner-up of the Bundesliga. No extra time is played in the case of a draw after 90 minutes, the match is then decided by a penalty shoot-out.
Below is a list of the Super Cup winners. Since 2010, if one team wins the domestic double, then league runners-up are invited as the second team.
Performance by team
|Team||Winners||Runners-up||Years won||Years lost|
|Bayern Munich||5||5||1987, 1990, 2010, 2012, 2016||1989, 1994, 2013, 2014, 2015|
|Borussia Dortmund||5||3||1989, 1995, 1996, 2013, 2014||2011, 2012, 2016|
|Werder Bremen||3||1||1988, 1993, 1994||1991|
Performance by qualification
The German champions met the cup winner several times without the match being officially recognized.
|Year||German champions||Result||Cup winner||Host city|
|1941[d]||Schalke 04||2–4||Dresdner SC||Dresden|
|1977[e]||Borussia Mönchengladbach||3–2||Hamburger SV||Hamburg|
|2008||Bayern Munich||1–2||Borussia Dortmund[g]||Dortmund|
|2009||VfL Wolfsburg||1–2||Werder Bremen||Wolfsburg|
- The 1991 edition included four teams, the league and cup winners of the former East and West Germany.
- Bundesliga runners-up.
- No extra time was played.
- The 1940 German champions and the 1940 Tschammerpokal winners faced each other on 16 March 1941.
- The 1976 Bundesliga winners and the 1976 DFB-Pokal winners faced each other on 8 January 1977.
- The 1982 Bundesliga winners and the 1982 DFB-Pokal winners faced each other on 2 April 1983.
- DFB-Pokal runners-up.
- "Super Cup starts again". FIFA. 10 November 2009. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
- "(West) Germany – List of Super/League Cup Finals". RSSSF. Retrieved 23 July 2011.