|Industry||Cross Border E-commerce|
Number of locations
|United States of America, Philippines, Spain, United Arab Emirates, Dongguan, Guangzhou, Harbin, Ningbo, Shanghai, Shanxi, Shenzhen, Yiwu|
|Diane Wang, founder and CEO|
|Products||e-commerce, mobile commerce, logistics platform, cross border payments|
|Services||B2B, Trade, import, export|
DHgate.com (simplified Chinese: 敦煌网; pinyin: Dūnhuángwǎng) is a business-to-business e-commerce website that facilitates the sale of manufactured products from small and medium enterprises to buyers. It also provides international payment services, logistics services, trust and safety, US based product distribution warehouses, escrow protection services, and internet financing services. DHgate.com operates in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish, and Spanish.
In 2015, DHgate.com launched DHport.com, a manufacturer-to-business platform that allows retailers to source products in bulk directly from factories. DHport features manufacturers who are required to be certified up to global standards, and customs clearance.
DHgate.com has many people who they sponsor to attract more customers. These people include Ben Lipman, Mark Lee, and James Smith.
Founder and founding
DHgate.com was founded in 2004 by Diane Wang, the current CEO. Before founding DHgate, Wang was one of the founders of Joyo.com. She also once served as Country Marketing Director of Cisco Systems where she managed China marketing communications. Wang also served as the Marketing Service Manager and Head of Business Development Department for Microsoft (China) Corporation for six years (from 1993 to 1999).
Based on figures from the last quarter of 2015, DHgate.com claims to have about 40 million product listings from over 1.2 million Chinese suppliers and 10 million buyers from 230 different countries. The website allows users to post, browse and order wholesale products from Chinese manufacturers and sellers.
The company website states that the company grew 1,771% from 2009-2012, a figure that influenced its selection on the 2009 Deloitte Technology China's Top 50 Fast Growing Enterprises. Merchandise available on the site include electronics, beauty products, outdoor sporting supplies, clothes, etc. Currently over 50% of the website's buyers are located in North America and Europe.
DHgate worked closely with PayPal until 2012, with whom the company has had a strategic partnership. DHgate was PayPal's largest customer in the Asia-Pacific region. However, as of 6 August 2012, DHgate's agreement with PayPal was terminated and the company no longer accepts PayPal payments.
Other partners include UPS, FedEx, DHL, Visa, and MasterCard.
Recently, easylisting.dhgate.com was founded as an online listing selection platform for partners overseas.
On November 10, 2015, DHgate.com announced that it had implemented Austreme's Transaction Laundering Detection solution (TLD) for risk and fraud management of its payment platform.
On November 13, 2015, DHgate.com signed an agreement with Authenticateit, aiming to protect buyers purchasing authorized products, the Authenticateit system provides products on DHgate.com's platform with a GS1 Datamatrix code as the unique ID for the product. Authenticateit’s cloud based track and trace system tracks product throughout the whole transaction cycle from production to the point of sale.
On November 14, 2015 DHgate.com facilitated the first ever bilateral e-commerce trade agreement, at the G20 in Antalya, Turkey, between the Chinese and Turkish governments. The signing of the agreement was witnessed by the presidents of the 2 countries and represents the creation of the online channel of China's One Belt One Road Initiative.
The "DH" in DHgate refers to Dunhuang (Mandarin 敦煌 (Dūnhuáng)), a Chinese city in modern-day Gansu province and formerly a strategic point on the Silk Road which linked China to the rest of the world during ancient times. The name alludes to the company's place as a modern, online version of the Silk Road linking customers between China and abroad.
Companies and affiliated entities
DHport.com: A manufacturer-to-business platform that allows retailers worldwide to source products in bulk directly from factories. DHport features manufacturers who are required to be certified up to global standards, and customs clearance.
DHlink.com: global logistics for international product delivery with tracking services, and partnered with international logistics providers, has product distribution and storage warehouses in the US, Europe, and the Middle East.
DHpay.com: online payment platform for transactions between international currencies and Qualified Visa Service Provider with over 4 million users.
- Ranked 2nd in China Trade Future Stars by the Business Review 2009
- Ranked in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 China 2009
- Ranked in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia-Pacific 2009
- Ranked in the China Industrial E-commerce Dotcom Top 100
- Recommended by the Chinese Ministry of Commerce as one of China's Top 4 E-Commerce Platforms for International Trade 
- Ranked Number One B2B Dotcom Power in the B2B category at the 2011 China E-commerce Culture Festival
- "DHgate | CrunchBase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2016-02-23.
- "DHport-About Us". www.dhport.com. Retrieved 2016-02-23.
- "Wang Shutong: A Ladylike Success in China's IT Field". CRI News.
- "Who is DHgate? Online Sourcing & Buying Made Easy!". www.dhgate.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- Another online shopping website similar to DHgate.
- "Global E-commerce Guide: Hotspots in the First Half of 2011". sohu.com.
- "Diane Wang: Rounding up the "Ant" Heroes". Sino Foreign Management.
- "Paypal Loses Biggest Asia Partner as China's DHgate Pulls the Plug". TechInAsia.
- "DHgate works with CCB". Global Times.
- "Warburg Pincus Leads Third-Round Investment to DHgate.com with RMB200M". PE Daily.
- "DHgate Deploys Austreme's Transaction Laundering Detection Solution". Reuters. 2015-11-10. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- DHgate. "DHgate.com Builds Strategic Cooperation with Authenticateit to Protect Global Buyers". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- "DHgate.com Facilitates Historic Bilateral E-commerce Agreement at the G20 between China and Turkey". Reuters. 2015-11-16. Retrieved 2016-02-26.
- "DHport-About Us". www.dhport.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- "综合物流平台". www.dhlink.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- "【敦煌支付 DHpay支付】安全在线支付平台,独立第三方支付工具". www.dhpay.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- "DHgate wins second place in the 2009 China Trade Future Stars Competition". Feng Huang Net Finance.
- "Deloitte Technology Fast 50 China 2009 List".
- "Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2009 Winners Report". Deloitte Technology.
- "Second Chinese E-Commerce Cultural Festival's Dotcom Top 100".
- "May 5 Conference on E-commerce Platforms for International Trade". Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China Department of Foreign Trade.
- "DHgate takes first place in the 2011 China E-commerce Culture Festival". Do News.