|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Melvin Babu|
|Also known as||Babu
The Dilated Junkie
|Born||Washington, D.C.September 17, 1974|
|Occupation(s)||radio personality on Dash Radio.|
|Labels||Stones Throw Records
|Associated acts||Beat Junkies
Melvin Babu (born September 17, 1974), better known as DJ Babu, is a Filipino-American DJ and producer. He is a member of the hip hop trio Dilated Peoples, with Rakaa Iriscience and Evidence. Also a member of the World Famous Beat Junkies DJ crew. Currently, he serves as the curator and host of "Soundcheck" for Beat Junkie Radio on Dash Radio.
Babu is also a member of the Beat Junkies DJ crew, and together with rapper Defari forms the duo the Likwit Junkies. Babu, Evidence and Pharoahe Monch are featured in the song "H! Vltg3," from Linkin Park's album Reanimation.
Babu has won multiple competition titles Including the Vestax World Championships and multiple ITF titles. As a revered battle DJ he has appeared in and hosted numerable videos. Babu is famous for redefining the art of Beat juggling during the 1997 ITF/Beat juggling category competition, when he first performed his "Blind Alley" routine. Under the name "The Turntablist", produced perhaps the genre's most popular battle record, 1996's Super Duck Breaks, which sold over 10,000 copies.
Babu's latest endeavors include Dilated Peoples 2014 release of their fifth studio album, Directors of Photography with record label Rhymesayers Entertainment, which features tracks that were primarily produced by Evidence (musician) and Babu, with guest appearances from Vince Staples, Aloe Blacc, Action Bronson, Sick Jacken, and Rapsody to name a few.
In 2014, The Beat Junkies crew launched their own membership based record pool curated by the members of the crew, including Babu. At the top of 2015, "Beat Junkie Radio" began airing on Dash Radio, the station stars all members of the crew, but led by Babu, Mr. Choc, and Rhettmatic. Their live show "Soundcheck' which aires live every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month has been ranked as one of the top 5 shows on Dash Radio.
Duck Season Vol. 4 is set to be released in 2017.
Aside Babu's musical accomplishments, his hobbies also include photography, with Babu being noted for his "behind the decks" shots of his turntables with Evidence (musician) + Rakaa during live shows, as well as landscape shots of his travels around the world with Dilated Peoples.
On January 18th, 2017, The Beat Junkies formally announced plans to open their own DJ school (The Beat Junkie Institute of Sound) and Professional training facility featuring fundamental and specialized DJ courses, workshops, and private instruction - all provided by the Beat Junkies Crew (DJ Babu, Mr Choc, D-Styles, J.Rocc, DJ Melo-D, and DJ Rhettmatic). The Beat Junkie Institute of Sound will be headquartered in Glendale, California. The school will offer an opportunity to join their community and learn the art form of DJ'ing "Beat Junkie Style" on state of the art equipment in an intimate and professional environment. Available to those new to DJing, cultural enthusiasts, recreational DJ's, serious hobbyists, or a consummate Pro's - the Beat Junkie Institute of Sound will be offering a curriculum and environment suited for anyone interested in learning the craft and history. The Beat Junkie Institute of Sound is set to open Spring of 2017.
- Super Duck Breaks (1996)
- Super Duper Duck Breaks (2000)
- Duck Season Vol. 1 (2002)
- Duck Season Vol. 2 (2003)
- The Beat Tape Vol. 1 (2007)
- Duck Season Vol. 3 (2008)
- The Beat Tape Vol. 2 (2010)
- "No Apologies" (With LMNO) (2010) 
- "Wild Stylus" (1997) [Scratches – tracks: A2 to A4, B1 to B2]
- "Pay Attention" (2001)
- "Duck Season" (2002)
- "Fan Mail" (2007)
- "Funky Duck" Wild Stylus (1997)
- "Service" Dilated Peoples (2000)
- "Phil Da Agony Interlude" Dilated Peoples (2001)
- "Proper Propaganda" Dilated Peoples (2001)
- "Pay Attention" Dilated Peoples (2001)
- "Hard Hitters" Dilated Peoples (2001)
- "Dilated Junkies" Dilated Peoples (2001)
- "Behold My Life" Defari (2002)
- "Behold My Life (Remix)" Defari (2003)
- "International" Chali 2na (2005)
- "The L.J.'s (album)-" Likwit Junkies (2005)
- "Alarm Clock Music" Dilated Peoples (2006)
- "Burn Big" Defari (2006)
- "Vultures" Defari (2006)
- "Rain or Shine" Evidence (2008)
- "C.T.D." Rakaa Iriscience (2010)
- "Eyes Wide" Rakaa Iriscience (2010)
- "Same Folks" Evidence (2011)
- "No Gunz Come Out" Defari (2013)
- "Lip Service" Defari (2013)
- "Curveball" Defari (2013)
- "Progressive 3" Vince Staples (2014)