|Birth name||Raashaun Casey|
|Also known as||Envy|
|Born||September 3, 1977|
Queens Village, Queens, New York City, New York, U.S.
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B|
|Labels||Desert Storm, Koch|
|Associated acts||DJ Clue?, Red Cafe, Nina Sky, Fabolous|
Raashaun Casey (born September 3, 1977) is an American disc jockey (DJ) and music producer better known by his professional name DJ Envy. He is 1 of the 3 hosts of the syndicated radio show The Breakfast Club, alongside Angela Yee and Charlamagne Tha God on Power 105.1
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A native of Queens, New York, DJ Envy was tutored, guided and mentored by neighborhood acquaintance DJ Clue?, who introduced him to the mixtape circuit in the mid-1990s. He quickly climbed up the ranks, and by the early 2000s he was peddling the latest commercials and exclusives for big-name rappers like Jay-Z, 50 Cent and The L.O.X.. Since his reputation was so esteemed, DJ Clue? signed him to his record label Desert Storm. In 2003, he released his commercial debut album entitled The Desert Storm Mixtape: Blok Party, Vol. 1.
DJ Envy's big break on the radio came when he mixed once a month for Hot 97's show called "Takin' it to the Streets", hosted by Angie Martinez from 12:00 am to 4:00 am, but later filled in when Martinez became pregnant. He then co-hosted Hot 97's morning show with Miss Jones from 6 am-10 am daily. His run on the morning show ended in July 2008 when Miss Jones moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. DJ Envy spun on his own mixshows on Hot 97 called "The People's Mix" on Saturdays from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm and "The People's Choice Hit List" on Sundays 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. He had a segment on Hot 97 titled "New at 2", where he played the newest hits from 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm. He hosts Hip-Hop Nation's afternoon show on Sirius XM Radio on weekdays 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm EST and on weekends he used to do a show from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Power 105.
On Monday December 6, 2010, DJ Envy, Angela Yee and Charlamagne tha God began hosting the morning show on Power 105 as The Breakfast Club. In September 2016, he voiced support for stop-and-frisk, and later apologized after constant criticism.
DJ Envy has made appearances on Juelz Santana's and Lloyd Banks's music video "Beamer Benz or Bentley" and various television shows, such as 106 & Park, Entourage, and Tha Corner, which he hosts on the Music Choice channel. He was featured in the 2006 film Blood of a Champion, credited as Shadow's enemy friend. He also appeared in The Raw Report of Gucci Mane documentary. On March 21, 2010, DJ Envy took over as VJ of MTV2's Sucker Free Countdown.
He recently released a record entitled "Still A Fan" featuring recording artist, songwriter, producer "Rico Love". Which leads many to believe he may be planning a new mixtape or album in the future. He and his wife Gia Casey host a podcast called "The Casey Crew" that talks about the good, bad, ugly, and beauty of relationships and family.
Casey is married to Gia Casey, who is of Chinese-Jamaican heritage. They were together since high school and married in 2001. They have five children: daughters Madison, London, and Brooklynn; sons Logan and Jaxson.
- The Desert Storm Mixtape: Blok Party, Vol. 1 (2003)
- The Co-Op (with Red Cafe) (2007)
- It's Moovin' (2009)
- Love and Envy (2011)
- Audio Uprising, Vol. 1 (2011)
- Full Breach. Vol. 5 (2014)
- Just A Kid From Queens (2018)
- "Feel the Hate" – The Murderers (2000)
- "Broken Silence" – Foxy Brown (2001)
- "The Bad Guy" (featuring Pain in da Ass) – Fabolous (2001)
- "Right/Wrong" (Cradle 2 the Grave OST) – DMX (2003)
- "Getting Down" (Cradle 2 the Grave OST) – DMX, Kashmir, Bazaar Royale (2003)
- "Wait a Minute" – Joe Budden (2004)
- DJ Envy at allmusic.com
- Baker, Al (May 13, 2006) D.J. Is Arrested Over His Threat to Rival's Child. New York Times.
- DJ Envy Return of the Hustle. Xxlmag.com (July 27, 2007). Archived version dated December 1, 2007, accessed via Internet Archive on October 13, 2017.
- DJ Envy's 5 DJ Commandments. SOHH.com
- "DJ Envy Supports Stop and Frisk, Twitter Bites Back". BET.com.
- NJ.com, NJ Advance Media for. "DJ Envy, stop-and-frisk supporter, says he was recently shot at in N.J." NJ.com.
- McCann, Mac (September 27, 2016). "DJ Envy Is Catching Hell for Defending Unconstitutional Stop and Frisk Policing". Complex.
- "DJ Envy Condemns Stop-And-Frisk After Talk With John Legend". Vibe. September 29, 2016.
- Blood of a Champion (2006) – Full cast and crew. IMDb
- "DJ Envy". Ebony.com. January 10, 2012. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- Video on YouTube
- "Full Breach Mixtapes". Full Breach Mixtapes.
- "DJ ENVY PLANS TO SATISFY EVERY MOOD WITH UPCOMING ALBUM 'JUST A KID FROM QUEENS'". XXL Magazine.