February 2012 cover
|Categories||Music, technology, nightlife, style|
|First issue||January 31, 1991|
|Company||Thrust Publishing Ltd|
DJ Magazine (also known as DJ Mag) is a British monthly magazine dedicated to electronic dance music and DJs. Founded in 1991, the magazine is adapted for distribution in UK, USA, Spain, France, Italy, Latin America, China, S.Korea and Indonesia.
DJ Mag is also available online via their global website www.djmag.com.
Top 100 DJs
The magazine's biggest property is a list of the World's most popular DJs, called Top 100 DJs. The poll attracted over 1 million votes in 2015, making it the World's biggest music poll.
The awards party for the poll was traditionally hosted at the Ministry of Sound nightclub in London. For the 2011 poll, the event was hosted outside of the UK for the first time in its history, being staged at the 2011's edition of the Amsterdam dance event. The 2012 and 2013 award shows were both held on 19 October at the same event. Until 2002, the top three had consisted of at least one British DJ, since the same year at least one Dutch DJ has featured in the top three. In 2015 the Top 100 DJs Awards Party took place as the headline moment of the Amsterdam Music Festival. Over 40,000 guests witnessed the crowning of 2015's winner's Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike. Following the Amsterdam event, the winning DJs were flown to London, where they performed to a sold out Brixton Academy for the Top 100 DJs London show.
Top 100 DJs is considered to be hugely important to DJs as an influencer of booking fees and their current level of popularity. DJs regularly campaign for votes, a process which is allowed by the magazine. Dutch DJ Hardwell once did a skydive as part of his campaign video; David Guetta regularly creates animated videos as part of his voting campaign; Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike released an exclusive mix to their fans as part of their 2015 campaign. However due to the weight that is placed on Top 100 DJs ranking by bookers worldwide, there have been criticisms of the poll.
Criticisms of Top 100 DJs
||The neutrality of this section is disputed. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Top 100 DJs has been criticised as being heavily influenced by the marketing power of DJs, rather than their skill or ability. A recent article that appeared in the US edition of the Huffington Post explores this claim. Its journalist, Kevin Yu, featured an article in July 2013 entitled "DJMag Top 100 (Marketable) DJs" where he states "Over the past few years, DJ Mag has been criticized that the list is not a true representation of their skills, but instead the amount of money they can put towards "marketing."
Yu asks "Has the DJMag list transformed into a popularity contest or is it still a resemblance of the DJs talent?". The list has also been criticized for not including a more balanced reflection of artists from other Electronic dance music styles and showing rankings based on less commercial mainstream DJs. A feature in The Guardian in 2010 by the journalist Ben Child entitled "What does DJ Mag's top 100 poll tell us about UK dance music? Not much" explores this further, noting that
What's surprising, at least to those of us who don't enjoy the more mainstream genres, is the paucity of artists from outside the house and trance scenes in the top 100. This has pretty much always been the case, with the odd Drum 'N' Bass or Breakbeat acts occasionally making it into the lower reaches in years gone by, but this year's situation is particularly extreme. There is just one artist Andy C whose music is not based on the standard four-to-the-floor beat pattern adopted by mainstream dance music in the top 100 - and he has been around for more than a decade and a half.
As the poll is publicly voted, DJ Mag have no direct input into which DJs are featured.
DJ Magazine Top Lists
Top 3 DJs 1991- present
|DJ Mag top DJs voted by the Magazine (Not called Top 100 DJs)|
|1991||Danny Rampling||Graeme Park||Mike Pickering|
|1992||Smokin Jo ||unspecified||unspecified|
|1993||Aba Shanti-I ||Alfredo||Stu Allan|
|1995||Judge Jules ||unspecified||unspecified|
|Top 100 DJs - Publicly Voted Lists|
|1997||Carl Cox||Paul Oakenfold||Sasha|
|1998||Paul Oakenfold||Carl Cox||Judge Jules|
|1999||Paul Oakenfold||Carl Cox||Sasha|
|2000||Sasha||Paul Oakenfold||John Digweed|
|2001||John Digweed||Sasha||Danny Tenaglia|
|2003||Tiësto||Paul Van Dyk||Armin Van Buuren|
|2004||Tiësto||Paul Van Dyk||Armin Van Buuren|
|2005||Paul Van Dyk||Tiësto||Armin Van Buuren|
|2006||Paul Van Dyk||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto|
|2007||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto||John Digweed|
|2008||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto||Paul Van Dyk|
|2009||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto||David Guetta|
|2010||Armin Van Buuren||David Guetta||Tiësto|
|2011||David Guetta||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto|
|2012||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto||Avicii|
|2013||Hardwell||Armin Van Buuren||Avicii|
|2014||Hardwell||Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike||Armin Van Buuren|
|2015||Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike||Hardwell||Martin Garrix|
Top 100 DJs 2015
- Awards as given by DJ Mag
Top 101-150 DJs 2015
|102||3 Are Legend|
|111||DJs From Mars|
|115||Merk & Kremont|
|138||Dzeko & Torres|
|145||Gunz For Hire|
Top 100 Clubs
DJ Mag also run an annual poll called Top 100 Clubs Since 2013, Top 100 Clubs has been powered by Miller Genuine Draft. In 2015, almost half a million people from around the World voted, including Brazilian footballer, Neymar Jr who posted on his social media channels promoting his favourite nightclub, Green Valley, who are the current No.1 Club.
Top 3 Clubs 2008–present
|DJ Mag top Clubs|
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2003
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2004
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2005
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2006
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2007
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2008
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2009
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2010
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2011
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2012
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2013
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2014
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2015
- "About DJ Mag (History)". DJ Magazine. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "DJMag". www.djmag.com. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- "TOP 100 DJS 2015: POLL ANALYSIS". DJMag. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- "DJ Mag Top 100 DJs Poll 2012 Receives Record Number Of Votes". Trackitdown.net. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- DJ Mag Top 100 Awards Show – Friday 19 October – Program – Amsterdam Dance Event 2012
- "10 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT #TOP100DJS". DJMag. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- Hardwell (2014-07-12), Hardwell Skydiving - The DJ MAG Bet, retrieved 2016-03-15
- Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike (2013-07-15), Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike - DJMAG TOP 100 DJs Exclusive Mix - Smash The House Radio #16, retrieved 2016-03-15
- Yu, Kevin. "DJ Mag Top 100 (Marketable) DJs". 26 July 2013. The Huffington Post. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Child, Ben. "What does DJ Mag's top 100 poll tell us about UK dance music? Not much". 29 October 2010. The Guardian Newspaper UK. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Guide, DJ. "Artist:Smokin Jo Biography". 2013. DJ Guide on-line Magazine. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- DAYANI, ALISON (October 15, 2004). "Jo's back on track". Birmingham Evening Mail (England). Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Smokin Jo Talks". 2014. The Ransome Note Music Magazine. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Cunningham, Katie. "You won't believe who's on the 1993 DJ Mag Top 100". 30 October 2013. In the Mix Webzine, Australia. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Gregory, Andy. "The International Who's Who in Popular Music 2002". 2002. Psychology Press, 4th Edition, page 267. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Williams, Melysa. "DJ Mag Top 100 flashback: Carl Cox goes back to back". June 2014. DJ Mag. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- Ludovic Rambaud. "Top 100 DJs 2015 : les 50 suivants (#101-#150) !". Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Top 100 Clubs | DJMag". djmag.com. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- "Neymar Jr. - Galera !! Acabei de votar no Green Valley... | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- "Nominees / Winners for Year the 2002". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 21 April 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "Nominees & Winners for the Year 2003". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "Winners for the 20th Annual International Dance Music Awards". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 21 April 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "21st Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 20 April 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "22nd Annual IDMA Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "23rd Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "24th Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "25th Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "26th Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "27th Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "28th Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "29th Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "30th Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- DJ Mag Website
- DJ Mag Website Old web site with Top-100 rankings from 1999 to 2008.
- DJ Blackbook
-  Votes and standings from 1997 to 2013
- EDM Source and Resident Advisor Webzine's Alternative Top 100 DJs list 2014