February 2012 cover
|Editor||Magazine: Ben Murphy
DJMagTV: David Eserin
|Categories||Music, technology, nightlife, style|
DJ Magazine (also known as DJ Mag) is a British monthly magazine dedicated to electronic dance music and DJs. Founded 31 January 1991, the magazine is translated monthly to Portuguese, Polish (since June 2010), Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Bulgarian, Spanish, French, German, Italian and Dutch.
In January 2008, the magazine created the DJ Blackbook which is a database of DJs, producers and promoters. It was released online and in a printed version with over 10000 contacts.
DJ Mag Top 100 Polls
The magazine publishes two annual "Top 100" lists, one for DJs since 1991 and one for nightclubs. English DJ Danny Rampling was the first winner of this award, Smokin Jo is the only female DJ to win this award (voted by the magazine)  and Armin van Buuren currently holds the record of most overall wins with five and a record four consecutively. As of 2010 both polls are based on a public vote. Trackitdown.net formed a collaboration with the 2008 DJ poll, saying "By offering each voter a free track to download from our catalogue of 350,000 titles from over 10,000 labels, we can demonstrate how easy it is to find your favourite electronic music legally." The awards party for the poll has traditionally been hosted at the Ministry of Sound nightclub in London. For the 2011 poll, the event was hosted outside of the UK for the first time in its history, being staged at the 2011's edition of the Amsterdam dance event. The 2012 and 2013 award shows were both held on 19 October at the same event. Until 2002, the top three had consisted of at least one British DJ, since the same year at least one Dutch DJ has featured in the top three.
Top 100 Controversies
It has been suggested that some DJ's pay for their place on this list, a recent article that appeared in the US edition of the Huffington Post explores this claim. Its journalist, Kevin Yu, featured an article in July 2013 entitled DJMag Top 100 (Marketable) DJs where he states "Over the past few years, DJ Mag has been criticized that the list is not a true representation of their skills, but instead the amount of money they can put towards "marketing." The article goes further "EDM is growing in popularity, this only means that more businesses are monetizing from this growth. There's been an increase in new mega clubs across the country including Hakkasan in Vegas and Create Nightclub in Los Angeles. Electronic Music Festivals are getting bigger and better every single year. How does $35 million dollars in production cost sound? That's the amount that one of the largest music festivals (Electric Daisy Carnival) put towards their production costs. And sadly enough, there are agencies that "help" DJs get a higher ranking on the DJ Mag Top 100 list." Supporting this claim English DJ Gareth Emery speaking in the same article stated that he "Just took a bizarre unsolicited phone call from a publicity company who help DJs promote themselves for the Top 100 poll, who told me I should be aware one of my 'competitors' (as she put it) was spending $15,000 on Twitter advertising alone, and unless I got on that sort of level, I would find it 'hard to compete'. Obviously not going to say who the DJ was, but I was nearly sick in my mouth." Yu asks "Has the DJMag list transformed into a popularity contest or is it still a resemblance of the DJs talent?". Controversial DJ Deadmau5 known for voicing opinions has suggested that it's not about mixing talent anymore in a feature that appeared in NME in 2012 he accused the DJ David Guetta of "Just turning up and pressing play" and that Guetta's live shows are "lacking skill and rely on pre-programmed music". The list has also been criticized for not including a more balanced reflection of artists from other Electronic dance music styles and showing ranking's based on less commercial mainstream DJ's. A feature in the The Guardian in 2010 by the journalist Ben Child entitled "What does DJ Mag's top 100 poll tell us about UK dance music? Not much" explores this further where in Child's reflects on the poll conducted that year "What's surprising, at least to those of us who don't enjoy the more mainstream genres, is the paucity of artists from outside the house and trance scenes in the top 100. This has pretty much always been the case, with the odd Drum 'N' Bass or Breakbeat acts occasionally making it into the lower reaches in years gone by, but this year's situation is particularly extreme. There is just one artist Andy C whose music is not based on the standard four-to-the-floor beat pattern adopted by mainstream dance music in the top 100 - and he has been around for more than a decade and a half."
DJ Magazine Top Lists
Top 3 DJ's 1991- present
|DJ Mag top DJs voted by the Magazine|
|1991||Danny Rampling||Graeme Park||Mike Pickering|
|1993||Aba Shanti-I ||Alfredo||Stu Allan|
|1995||Judge Jules ||unspecified||unspecified|
|DJ Mag top DJs voted by the Magazines Readers|
|1997||Carl Cox||Paul Oakenfold||Sasha|
|1998||Paul Oakenfold||Carl Cox||Judge Jules|
|1999||Paul Oakenfold||Carl Cox||Sasha|
|2000||Sasha||Paul Oakenfold||John Digweed|
|2001||John Digweed||Sasha||Danny Tenaglia|
|2003||Tiësto||Paul Van Dyk||Armin Van Buuren|
|2004||Tiësto||Paul Van Dyk||Armin Van Buuren|
|2005||Paul Van Dyk||Tiësto||Armin Van Buuren|
|2006||Paul Van Dyk||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto|
|2007||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto||John Digweed|
|2008||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto||Paul Van Dyk|
|2009||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto||David Guetta|
|2010||Armin Van Buuren||David Guetta||Tiësto|
|2011||David Guetta||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto|
|2012||Armin Van Buuren||Tiësto||Avicii|
|2013||Hardwell||Armin Van Buuren||Avicii|
|2014||Hardwell||Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike||Armin Van Buuren|
Top 3 Club's 2008 - present
|DJ Mag top Clubs|
Top 100 DJs 2014
- Awards as given by DJ Mag
Top 101-150 DJs 2014
|101||Gunz For Hire|
|103||Swedish House Mafia|
|106||DJs from Mars|
|110||D-Block & S-te-Fan|
|147||Mark with a K|
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2003
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2004
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2005
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2006
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2007
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2008
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2009
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2010
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2011
- IDMA Best Music Publication 2012
- "About DJ Mag (History)". DJ Magazine. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "DJ Magazine Polska: oficjalne oświadczenie wydawcy". FTB.pl. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "DJ Mag Launch Party - AIR Amsterdam". DJ Magazine. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Artist Profile: Danny Rampling". 2014. Ulta DJ Management. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Guide, DJ. "Artist:Smokin Jo Biography". 2013. DJ Guide on-line Magazine. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- DAYANI, ALISON (15 October 2004). "Jo's back on track". Birmingham Evening Mail (England). Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Smokin Jo Talks". 2014. The Ransome Note Music Magazine. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "Vote now in DJmag's Top 100 DJs 2008 poll!". Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "DJ Mag Top 100 DJs Poll 2012 Receives Record Number Of Votes". Trackitdown.net. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- DJ Mag Top 100 Awards Show – Friday 19 October – Program – Amsterdam Dance Event 2012
- Yu, Kevin. "DJ Mag Top 100 (Marketable) DJs". 26 July 2013. The Huffington Post. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "David Guetta on Deadmau5 spat: 'I don't just show up and press play' DJ responds to criticism from Deadmau5". 7 November 2012. New Musical Express (NME). Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Child, Ben. "What does DJ Mag's top 100 poll tell us about UK dance music? Not much". 29 October 2010. The Guardian Newspaper UK. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Cunningham, Katie. "You won’t believe who’s on the 1993 DJ Mag Top 100". 30 October 2013. In the Mix Webzine, Australia. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Gregory, Andy. "The International Who's Who in Popular Music 2002". 2002. Psychology Press, 4th Edition, page 267. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Williams, Melysa. "DJ Mag Top 100 flashback: Carl Cox goes back to back". June 2014. DJ Mag. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "DJ Mag on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Ludovic Rambaud. "Top 100 DJs 2014 : les 50 suivants (#101-#150) !". Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Nominees / Winners for Year the 2002". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 21 April 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "Nominees & Winners for the Year 2003". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "Winners for the 20th Annual International Dance Music Awards". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 21 April 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "21st Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 20 April 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "22nd Annual IDMA Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "23rd Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2008.
- "24th Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "23rd Annual International Dance Music Awards Nominees & Winners". WinterMusicConference.com. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- DJ Mag Website
- DJ Mag Website Old web site with Top-100 rankings from 1999 to 2008.
- DJ Blackbook
-  Votes and standings from 1997 to 2013
- EDM Source and Resident Advisor Webzine's Alternative Top 100 DJ's list 2014