DJ Maj in 2012
|Birth name||Mike Allen|
|Genres||Christian hip hop|
|Labels||Gotee & Fistpic|
Mike Allen, professionally known as DJ Maj, is a Christian music DJ, contributing to Gospel music albums released by tobyMac, GRITS, Ill Harmonics, Carman, dc Talk, and the Newsboys. DJ Maj has released several mixtapes, as well as three solo albums: BoogiRoot, Speckled Goats and Speckled Goats II.
His friends gave him the name "DJ Magic" after watching him play on turntables. Mike only learned to deejay because his friend who was a DJ moved away from Louisiana so he felt he had to learn it all for himself. He later changed his name to "DJ Maj" to reflect that, as a Christian, he did not want to be associated with magic. He continued to DJ as a way of paying his way through technical college and soon perfected the art, using it as a means of bringing "holy hip-hop" to the mainstream audience.
He signed a recording contract with Gotee Records and in 1999, released his debut mixtape album: Wax Museum: the Mixtape. The success of this album led to him collaborating with several Christian music stars in his following mixtapes and his debut album in 2005, BoogiRoot.
In 2009, Maj produced the Gotee Hip Hope Hits Compilation.
- 1997: Sabbatical Transit (independent)
- 2000: Wax Museum Mixtape (Gotee Records)
- 2001: Full Plates: Mixtape 002 (Gotee Records)
- 2003: The Ringleader: Mixtape Volume III (Gotee Records)
- 2004: Speckled Goats (Tractor-Beam)
- 2007: Speckled Goats II (Tractor-Beam)
He has toured many times with TobyMac, as well as working on his albums. He has also done work for Christian rapper T-Bone. He is included in the listing of the Diverse City Band crew, which is the list of people who perform with tobyMac in concerts. He was also the DJ who made the cuts on !Hero.
- "DJ Maj Discography". Jesusfreakhideout.com. Retrieved 2008-07-08.
- "Exploring The Boogiroot: DJ Maj moves from mixing to MCing on new album". Crossrhythms.co.uk. 2005-10-21. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- "Gotee.com". Gotee.com. Retrieved 2011-11-19.