||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
|Birth name||Scott Keeney|
|Born||November 15, 1983|
|Origin||Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop, hip hop, rock, turntablism|
|Occupation(s)||Artist, musician, music producer, radio personality, television personality, entrepreneur|
|Labels||Skee Music, Inc.,|
|Associated acts||Snoop Dogg, Travis Barker, The Game, RiFF RAFF|
Scott Keeney (born November 15, 1983), better known by his stage name DJ Skee, is an American artist, producer, television host, radio personality, executive, philanthropist and entrepreneur based in Los Angeles. Skee is chairman of the digital media agency SKEEMatic which represents brands including Google & AT&T and runs Skee.TV, a digital platform that has amassed over one-billion views to date. As a DJ, Skee has headlined festivals worldwide, hosted his own radio shows on Los Angeles' KIIS-FM and Sirius XM Satellite Radio, and remixed music from various artists including Michael Jackson and Chris Cornell. In August 2014, Skee launched Dash Radio, an internet-radio platform curated by real DJs, with no commercials and zero cost. Skee currently hosts Fuse's "Skee TV", a new weekly music series focusing on music and culture through interviews, live performances, and pre-recorded segments. His business portfolio includes interests in various other businesses as an entrepreneur.
Skee rose to fame as the first DJ to discover and play superstar artists on the radio including Kendrick Lamar, Justin Bieber, Akon, Lorde, and Lady Gaga amongst many others. Mark Cuban has called Skee the "Oprah Of Music".
Skee was born November 15, 1983 in New York City and moved between Texas and Florida as a toddler before ultimately landing in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Skee started creating mixtapes when he was 15 becoming regionally known. Starting on air at the age of 16 at a local station in Minneapolis, MN, Skee split time as a teen between Minnesota and New York City where he began his work in the music business. After graduating a year early from Central High School (Saint Paul, Minnesota) in 2001, Skee moved to Los Angeles under the guidance of Steve Rifkind to work directly under him at Loud Records and SRC Marketing.
Skee first appeared on radio in 2000 at the age of 16 on Minneapolis's KMOJ, and was on air through 2001 until he moved to Los Angeles. In 2004, Skee started a show on Satellite Radio, and was featured on Sirius XM Radio daily from 5pm-10pm EST until August 2014. In early 2007, Skee launched a show on KPWR (Power 106) Los Angeles, before leaving for rival station KIIS-FM in November 2008. His shows have also been heard worldwide via syndication in Australia, Japan, and Europe.
In 2013, Skee won best radio DJ at the Global Spin Awards.
Skee was the featured DJ for Los Angeles' KIIS-FM (the most listened-to radio station in the country by arbitron audience ratings) and Clear Channel's iHeartRadio platform from November 2008-August 2014.
On August 1, 2014, Skee announced his resignation from KIIS FM, Sirius XM Radio, and iHeartRadio on "SKEE Live", stating he had become tired with the traditional radio formats and yearned for a new challenge.
On August 19, 2014, Skee launched Dash Radio, the world's largest all original digital radio network. Founded by DJ Skee (with investments from the likes of LA Reid, Matt Michelsen, Michael Lazerow and many more), Dash Radio boasts over 60 stations, is curated by real DJs, features interviews and shows from artists and tastemakers, has zero commercials, and is completely free. Dash Radio has partnered with the likes of Odd Future, The GRAMMYs, EA Sports, T-Boz (TLC), Stevie Wonder, Wu Tang Clan, XXL Magazine, Strange Music Inc., multiple music festivals, and many more. On June 3, 2015, the Dash Radio app emerged from BETA and reported 1 million listeners.
Outside of his career as a DJ and personality, Skee is active as an entrepreneur being named one of Billboard Magazine's influential "Power Players: 30 Under 30" in the August 21, 2010 issue. Skee was also named as an honorable mention Forbes magazine's influential "Power Players: 30 Under 30" in 2012. In September 2012, Skee opened the second and flagship location of his retail store chain, Tradition, in the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills, CA.
Known as the man behind the marketing campaigns and promotions for the popular T-Mobile Sidekick in the mid-2000s, Skee has orchestrated campaigns for Daimler-Chrysler (and specifically the launch of the Chrysler 300 & Dodge Magnum in 2004), Google's Android Platform, nearly every major record label in the world, and more. Skee also has been active in the sports space writing for ESPN and working with athletes and sports leagues including Adrian Peterson, Kevin Durant, Clayton Kershaw, Jamaal Charles, Floyd Mayweather, the NHL, MLB, and more. In 2011, the Los Angeles Lakers used Skee's Purp & Yellow (SKEETOX Remix) as the theme song for the season. Its accompanying music video debuted at #1 on MTV.com.
Performing, Skee has toured worldwide, opened the $100 million mega-club XS inside the Encore Las Vegas, performed at official events for the GRAMMY Awards, NFL Super Bowl, and on the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards.
As a mixtape DJ & producer, Skee has released over 100 mixtapes during his career. In 2008, Skee was nominated in eight categories, twice as much as any other DJ, at Justo's Mixtape Awards. Skee also won west coast mixtape DJ of the year at the 2013 Global Spin Awards.
Skee.TV Channel & Video Productions
Skee.TV has received over 1/4 billion (250,000,000) views on YouTube alone, while also being shown in restaurants and gas stations worldwide including McDonald's, Taco Bell, Denny's and many more. Skee has produced award winning original music videos and content with artists including chart topping music videos for Snoop Dogg, Chris Cornell, Far East Movement, Soulja Boy, The Game, The Clipse, New Boyz, Travis Barker, Ice Cube and others.
From 2013-2014, Skee hosted and curated AXS TV's SKEE Live. SKEE Live was a one-hour original series that provided insider access to the hottest musical artists, athletes, celebrities and cultural tastemakers via exclusive interviews and live performances. Past guests included Kendrick Lamar, Chris Brown, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Big Sean, Wiz Khalifa, Jason DeRulo, Ice Cube, Paris Hilton, Floyd Mayweather, Adrian Peterson, and many more.
Premiering April 9 on Fuse, DJ Skee will host SKEE TV, a weekly show airing every Thursday at 10:30pm. The series will feature DJ Skee conducting interviews with musicians, hosting performances and offering insight into upcoming musical and cultural trends.
Skee has been active in philanthropic ventures. In 2014 it was announced that he had become an official champion for the UN Foundation. In 2014 he was honored for his contributions to Music Cares. Skee is a Celebrity Ambassador for the Los Angeles After-School All-Stars and has been involved in Rock The Vote since 2007. He also publicly donated his earnings from SKEE Live to the Lupe Fiasco Foundation benefiting inner city kids in Chicago on a television special in 2014. Other charities Skee has worked with include Music Unites, A Place Called Home, Nothing But Nets, the Rob Dyrdek Foundation, the Sports Spectacular, and City of Hope.
- Halo 4: Revival (& THX remix)
- Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, & The Game: Purp & Yellow (SKEETOX Remix)
- Jay-Z: 'The American Godfather'
- Katy Perry & Kanye West: E.T. (SKEETOX Remix)
- Game: Purp & Patron
- Game: 'Purp And Patron - The Hangover
- Chris Cornell: Scream - The Mixtape
- Snoop Dogg: PuffPuffPass Tuesdays
- Travis Barker: Expensive Ta$te
- The Game: You Know What It Is Vol. 4
- Game: The Red Room
- Game: DJ Skee Presents Brake Lights
- Death of the Mixtape Rapper (with Charles Hamilton)
- And Then They Played Dilla (with Charles Hamilton)
- Staff Development (with Charles Hamilton)
- It's Charles Hamilton (with Charles Hamilton)
- The L Word (with Charles Hamilton)
- Sonic the Hamilton (with Charles Hamilton)
- Intervention (with Charles Hamilton)
- The Best Of The Hamiltonization Process (with Charles Hamilton)
- DJ Skee Presents: Freddie Gibbs - Midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik
- Wax: Scrublife (Hosted by DJ Skee and Dale Firebird)
- The Game: Hood Morning (No Typo): Candy Coronas
- DJ Skee Presents: Joker Brand: Tears Of A Clown Vol. 1
- Game: California Republic
- Party We Will Throw - Warren G ft. Nate Dogg & The Game
- Drew32: 'Label Me'
- Chris Cornell: Long Gone Executive Producer
- The Game ft. Travis Barker: Dope Boyz Executive Producer
- David Archuleta: Touch My Hand Executive Producer
- Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalfia, The Game ft. Los Angeles Lakers: Purp & Yellow (Skeetox Remix) Executive Producer & Artist
- Soulja Boy Turn My Swag On Executive Producer
- Snoop Dogg, DJ Quik, Kurupt, Terrace Martin: Bounce, Rock, Skate Executive Producer
- Omar Cruz, Frankie J: To The Top Executive Producer
- The New Boyz: You're A Jerk Executive Producer
- Kardinal Offishall, The Clipse: Set It Off Executive Producer
- Charles Hamilton: Brooklyn Girls Executive Producer
- V.I.C.: Say Bow Executive Producer
- The New Boyz, Ray-J: Tie Me Down Executive Producer
- Lady Gaga "Lady Gaga Gives DJ Skee A Shout-Out", NuvoTV, Los Angeles, March 2014. Retrieved on 31 March 2014.
- Weiss, Jeff. "DJ Skee Built a Giant Multimedia Hip-Hop Empire", LA Weekly, Los Angeles, 25 July 2013. Retrieved on 25 July 2013.
- "DJ Skee Debuts DASH Radio, Taps East Village Radio Co-Founder, L.A. Reid As Investors". Billboard. 2014-08-19. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Reed, Ryan (2014-09-12). "Odd Future Launch 24/7 Channel on Dash Radio". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "DASH Radio Launches Grammy Awards Station". AllAccess.com. 2015-01-14. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "DJ Skee’s Dash Radio App Reaches 1 Million Listeners". BallerStatus.com. June 3, 2015.
- Langhorne, Cyrus (August 17, 2010). "DJ Skee Powers up Billboard's 30 Under 30 List". Sohh.com. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- Langhorne, Cyrus (December 21, 2011). "Forbes 30 Under 30 List". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2012-01-10.
- "11th Annual Mixtape Awards Nominations Announced, Ceremony Delayed". XXL Mag. February 8, 2008. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- Langhorne, Cyrus (August 15, 2012). "Dew Tour Announces Expanded Music Initiative Including DJ/Athlete Collaborations With DJ SKEE for Original Event Inspired Songs". MarketWatch.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Langhorne, Cyrus (August 23, 2012). "Space, Guns, and Music Pt. 2: DJ Skee on Remixing 'Halo 4' List". MTV. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "‘Skee Live’ Renewed by AXS TV for Second Season - Ratings". TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com. 2014-04-11. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Crosley, Hillary (28 October 2006). Bullish on Black Wall Street. Billboard. p. 32. Retrieved 10 July 2010.