|Birth name||Uroš Umek|
|Also known as||Umek, Fotr (Father), Alba Patera, Error, Kemu, Mumps, Nuca, Polyvinyl, Ratcapa, Thorax, Tiga (2), Zeta Reticula|
|Born||May 16, 1976|
|Origin||Ljubljana, then SFR Yugoslavia|
|Genres||Electronica, techno, tech house|
|Occupation(s)||Disc jockey, record producer|
|Labels||Consumer Recreation, Recycled Loops, Earresistible Musick, Astrodisco, 1605, Spinnin' Records, Ultra Records|
|Associated acts||Valentino Kanzyani|
Uroš Umek (Slovene pronunciation: [ˈúːrɔʃ ˈúːmək]; born May 16, 1976 in Ljubljana, Slovenia), better known as DJ Umek or simply Umek, is a Slovenian dance music composer and DJ. Musically active since 1993, he is the owner of several techno record labels. In 1999 he founded Consumer Recreation and Recycled Loops, the former of which he co-runs with Valentino Kanzyani. Recycled Loops formed the sublabel Earresistible Musick in 2001, and in 2007 Umek founded the large techno label 1605.
In 2010 he won Best Techno Artist at the Beatport Music Awards, and in 2013 he was named Best Techno DJ at the EMPO Awards. In 2013, he won Best Techno Track at the International Dance Music Awards, and the following year he won Best Techno/Tech House Artist. He has recently released singles and remixes on Spinnin' Records and Ultra Records, working with artists such as Groovebox and Waka Flocka.
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|
Early years (1990s-2006)
Umek began DJing in 1993 at the age of 17 years. He was among the pioneers of the electronic music in Slovenia. In 1999 he released music on his own labels Consumer Recreation and Recycled Loops, the former of which he co-runs with Valentino Kanzyani. Umek became famous by techno-supporters in Europe about 2001, for his fast mixing skills and his uplifting dj-sets. In the later years he changed his style a little bit. He has released a large number of EPs and anthems and has a reputation as an innovator. He is known to play the music from 4 turntables simultaneously. In 2001 he released music on Earresistible Musick, and in 2006, on Astrodisco.
1605 and hit singles (2006-present)
|UMEK feat. Waka Flocka - Cheezin' (Official Music Video) - this music video, out on Spinnin' Records in January 2015, is somewhat divergent from UMEK's other hit singles.|
In 2006 he released a single "Posing As Me," which was a big hit in Slovenia. In 2007 he did another video supported project with a Croatian singer and lyrics writer Anđa Marić Carbon Occasions, and also released music on the label 1605 Records. On his birthday May 16 he organized a musical event called Dan Elektronike (Electronica Day). He was ranked at position 29 of the TOP 100 DJs for the year 2007 by the DJ Magazine. Some people regard Umek as one of the Top 10 Techno DJs in the world.
He performed an Essential Mix on BBC Radio 1 in November 2007. In 2010 he won Best Techno Artist at the Beatport Music Awards, and in 2013 he was named Best Techno DJ at the EMPO Awards. Also in 2013, his song "Goes On" was named Best Techno Track at the International Dance Music Awards. The following year, he won Best Techno/Tech House Artist.
|2010||Beatport Music Awards||DJ Umek||Best Techno Artist||Won|
|2013||EMPO Awards||DJ Umek||Best Techno DJ||Won|
|"Goes On"||Best Techno Track||Won|
|2014||DJ Umek||Best Techno/Tech House Artist||Won|
The following is an incomplete list of EPs released by DJ Umek:
- 2014: Burnfire (with Jay Colin) (Spinnin' Records)
- 2014: All I Want (with Mike Vale) (1605 Records)
- 2014: Sweet Harmony (with Groovebox) (Spinnin' Records)
- 2015: "Cheesin'" (with Waka Flocka) (Spinnin' Records)
The following is an incomplete list of remixes released by DJ Umek:
- 2013: Fedde Le Grand - "Metrum (UMEK Remix)" (Toolroom Records)
- 2013: Ralph Falcon - "The Dig" (Renaissance Back Catalog)
- 2013: Parov Stelar - "All Night" (1605)
- 2013: Bontan - "The Revolution (UMEK Remix)" (Kraftek)
- 2014: Chris Lake, Jareth - "Helium (UMEK & Mike Vale Remix)" (Ultra Records)
- "Comeback gig in Slovenia". ibiza-voice.com. Retrieved May 19, 2009.
- "Interview - Slovenian techno sound". mK iArticles. Retrieved May 19, 2009.
- "DJmag Top 100 DJs 2009". Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- "Umek Interview - He got hooked". miamiundergroundmovement.libsyn.com. Retrieved May 19, 2009.
- "Mastering performances". 365mag.com. Retrieved May 19, 2009.
- "Futuristing Music - References". futuristing.com. Retrieved May 19, 2009.
- "Umek interview - The big break". miamiundergroundmovement.libsyn.com. Retrieved May 19, 2009.
- "Beatport Music Awards 2010 results". http://houseplanet.dj/.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "EMPO Awards 2013: / EMPO Awards / Best Techno DJ". http://www.upfm.dj/. (2013)
- "2013 / IDMA Award / Track "Goes On" awarded best techno trac: 28TH Annual International Dance Music Awards Winners". http://wintermusicconference.com.
- "2014 / IDMA Award / Best Techno/Tech House Artist: IDMA Nominees for the year 2013 presented in 2014". http://wintermusicconference.com/.
- UMEK: The DJ List
- DJMag.com TOP 100 DJs - Results and History
- BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix - Umek - 24 November 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DJ Umek.|