DRDO Young Scientist Laboratories
DRDO Young Scientist Laboratories (DYSLs) are five specialised research laboratories located in five different cities of India, inaugurated by the Prime Minister of India on 2 January 2020. Each laboratory deals with a focused area of science - artificial intelligence, quantum technologies, cognitive technologies, asymmetric technologies and smart materials. The labs are located in Bengaluru, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and Hyderabad. As per the norms laid out, everyone at the labs is under 35 years of age. DRDO Chairman G.Satheesh Reddy conveyed to The Hindu on 3 January 2020 that the laboratories are formally operational.
Two of the directors chosen are scientists Parvathaneni Shiva Prasad of the Research Centre Imarat (RCI) and Ramakrishnan Raghavan of the Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL). They will be function as completely independent directors of their respective labs. The directors have been finalised by a committee chaired by Principal Scientific Advisor K. Vijayaraghavan.
The five labs are:
- Artificial Intelligence research will be at Bengaluru.
- The Quantum Technology laboratory will be at IIT Mumbai.
- Cognitive Technologies research will be done at a lab based in IIT Chennai.
- Asymmetric Technologies will be based out of the campus of Jadavpur University.
- Smart Materials research will be based out of Hyderabad.
- Shukla, Ajai (2020-01-02). "PM Modi inaugurates five high-tech DRDO labs where everyone is under 35". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2020-01-04.
- "PM dedicates 5 DRDO Young Scientists Laboratories to the Nation". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 2020-01-04.
- "India capable of building everything from aircraft to aircraft carrier: PM Modi at DRDO". India Today. 2 January 2020. Retrieved 2020-01-04.
- "DRDO Young Scientist Lab Dedicated to Research in Artificial Intelligence Announced by PM Narendra Modi". DataQuest. 2020-01-02. Retrieved 2020-01-04.
- "Prime Minister launches 5 new DRDO labs". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 2020-01-03. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2020-01-04.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Two city scientists to head new DRDO labs". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 2020-01-02. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2020-01-05.CS1 maint: others (link)
- (3 January 2020) Background Brief for Media (Prior to the Event on 2nd Jan 2020 @Bengaluru) Dedication Of DRDO Young Scientists Laboratories to the Nation Defence Research and Development Organisation, Government of India.