|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Launched||30 August 1996|
|Audience share||4.1% (2008, )|
|Canal Digital||Channel 2|
|TDC TV||Channel 2|
It was launched in 1996 as a satellite-/cable-only channel. This was highly controversial at the time, as it was considered close to a breach of public service principles that the new station did not reach all viewers. Adding to the critics' cause was the fact that DR did in fact have broadband spectrum available for terrestrial broadcasts. However, this was being reserved for digital broadcasting tests. The less-than-100%-coverage coupled with a "highbrow" reputation resulted in low ratings which in turn earned it the nickname "the secret channel" to the regret of the director general who had been pushing the line "my channel" (in the sense of programmes appealing to individuals, not the whole family as DR1 supposedly). This was finally remedied on 31 March 2006, when terrestrial digital broadcasts started.
It most resembles the British BBC Four in that its main output is experimental comedy, documentaries and in-depth news programmes. It has earned much praise for high quality shows, especially in the first category, with series like Casper & Mandrilaftalen and Drengene fra Angora. Den 11. time was a talk show on the channel. It also broadcasts many British productions, e.g. crime dramas such as Prime Suspect.
Following the introduction of digital television (and closing down of all analogue channels with exception of cable-TV) in Denmark, on 1 November 2009, the channel is broadcast free via the DVB-T standard and MPEG4 code. It now reaches the whole country and also the nearby east side of Øresund sea to southernmost Sweden. (Swedish channels reaches the Copenhagen metropolitan area as well)
In 2013 the channel was rebranded and converted to a 24-hour channel with the inclusion of hourly news and current affairs programming. DR Update previously aired some of the programming before the channel was closed to make room for DR Ultra. DR2, unlike DR Update will however not interrupt any programmes for breaking news.
- Deadline - news
- So ein Ding - about new technical products
- Filmperler - quality film from all countries
- TV TV TV - television about television
- Rytteriet - Danish comedy
- Columbo (USA)
- Waking the Dead (UK)
- Above Suspicion (UK)
- Hamish Macbeth (UK)
- Wycliffe (UK)
- Spooks (UK)
- The Body Farm (UK)
- Cato Isaksen (Norwedian police series)
- Génesis, en la mente del asesino (Spanish spooky police series)
- Engrenaves (French police series)
- Flying Doctors (Australian)
- The Daily Show (with Jon Stewart, USA)
- Russian filmatisations series, based on novels by Boris Akunin
- Jul på Vesterbro - Danish Christmas comedy (broadcast between 1 and 24 December, a Scandinavian TV-tradition. This has been used at least two times (2003 and 2009) and all roles are played by the same actor. Danish classical TV.
- TNS Gallup TV-Meter