DSB Class EA
Railion EA 3018
The DSB Class EA was the first electric locomotive in Denmark, introduced in 1984. In total, 22 units were built for the DSB, about half were acquired by Deutsche Bahn in 2001 when it took over the freight business of DSB.
Between 2007 and 2010 many of the locomotives began freight services in Bulgaria, as of 2017 only five units remain with the Danish state railways.
Background, design and construction
The first stretch of railway in Denmark was electrified in March 1986; DSB needed an electric locomotive that could be used as a combined freight/passenger unit. The locomotive was based on the German Class 120. The customisation included a re-designed body (adapted to DSB's new locomotive design first used on the Class ME), and adaption to the Danish overhead wire voltage (25 kV 50 Hz, as opposed to the 15 kV 16 2⁄3 Hz voltage used in Germany and other Scandinavian countries).
The locomotives were manufactured by a consortium of companies led by BBC: BBC (after 1998 ABB, Siemens Henschel (after 1990 ABB Henschel), Thyssen-Henschel, EB Strømmen and ABB Scandia. The locomotives can work in push pull mode and in multiple.
The bodies of the first two locomotives were manufactured by Henschel in Germany, the remaining units Scandia.
Initially the locomotives worked on passenger trains in Zealand, after the opening of the Great Belt Fixed Link in 1997 the locomotives were used on services on Funen and Jutland. After the introduction of the IR4 trains the locomotives were mostly used on passenger services.
In 2007 5 locomotives were sold to private Bulgarian gas firm Bulmarket for use on its liquified gas trains.
In 2010 DB Schenker Bulgaria began running trains in Bulgaria, using ex DSB EA locomotives it had inherited from Railion; the locomotives received class number 86 whilst retaining the original locomotive number.
List of locomotives
|Number||Name||Entered service||History and notes|
|3001||H C Ørsted||1984||First electric train in Denmark 20 March 1986. Repainted in DSB blue livery 2006. Scrapped in January 2017.|
|3002||Niels Bohr||1984||Sold to Bulmarket, Bulgaria 2007|
|3003||Heinrich Wenck||1985||Sold to Bulmarket, Bulgaria 2007|
|3004||Ole Rømer||1985||Received DSB blue livery 2006|
|3005||William Radford||1985||Sold to Bulmarket, Bulgaria 2007|
|3006||Valdemar Poulsen||1985||Sold to Bulmarket, Bulgaria 2007|
|3007||Kirstine Meyer||1985||Received DSB blue livery 2006|
|3008||Otto Busse||1986||Out of service 2004 (used for spares), sold to Bulmarket, Bulgaria 2007|
|3009||Anker Engelund||1986||Sold to Bulmarket, Bulgaria 2007|
|3010||Søren Hjorth||1986||Received DSB blue livery 2006|
|3011||Thomas B Thrige||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3011 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Romania as 465001 in 2009|
|3012||A R Angelo||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3012 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Romania as 465002 in 2009|
|3013||Wilhelm Hellesen||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3013 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Bulgaria 2010|
|3014||C E Krarup||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3014 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Bulgaria 2010|
|3015||Nielsine Nielsen||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3014 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Bulgaria.|
|3016||A W Hauch||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3016 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Bulgaria 2009|
|3017||Emil Chr Hansen||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3017 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Bulgaria 2010|
|3018||Niels Finsen||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3018 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Romania as 465004 in 2009|
|3019||P O Pedersen||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3019 in 2001, transferred to DB Schenker Bulgaria 2010|
|3020||G F Ursin||1992||In storage 2004-5, received blue DSB livery 2006 and returned to service|
|3021||P W Lund||1992||Becomes Railion Denmark EA 3021 in 2001, shipped to Romania 2009|
|3022||Søren Frich||1992||Received DSB blue livery 2006|
- List of DSB locomotives and multiple units
- DSB Class ME, similar externally designed contemporary diesel electric locomotive
- DSB Litra EA, www.jernbanen.dk
- DSB Litra EA , www.jernbanen.dk
- Electric Locomotives Reference List , "Electric Locomotive EA 3000 for Danish State Railways DSB", p.14 , webdoc.siemens.it
- Poulsen, John. Danske Statbaners Motormateriel 1925-2007. Bane Bøger, 2008. p. 234
- Strækningslokomotiver , section "Litra EA 3001-3022." , www.dsb.dk
- Railion recruits another member , 1 January 2001 , www.railwaygazette.com
- Steckbrief DSB EA 3001-3022 , www.sebtus.de
- Bulmarket Purchased 5 Used Locomotives from Danmark , 16 August 2007 , www.rzd-partner.com
- DB Schenker Rail Bulgaria begins independent operations , 31 May 2010 , www.eyefortransport.com
- Railion EA 3013 , www.jernbanen.dk
- Lauritsen, Tom (1997). Danske lokomotiver og motorvogne 1997 (in Danish). Frank Stenvalls Förlag. pp. 7–8. ISBN 91-7266-141-0.
- Railion EA 3011 , www.jernbanen.dk
- Railion EA 3012 , www.jernbanen.dk
- Chris Bailey; Miroslav Georgiev (October 2010). "DB Schenker EAs at work". Today's Railways Europe (178): 57.
- Railion EA 3014 , www.jernbanen.dk
- Railion EA 3016 , www.jernbanen.dk
- Railion EA 3017 , www.jernbanen.dk
- Railion EA 3018 , www.jernbanen.dk
- Railion EA 3019 , www.jernbanen.dk
- Railion EA 3021 , www.jernbanen.dk
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DSB EA.|