|Public limited company|
|Traded as||LSE: SMDS|
|Headquarters||Euston Road, London, UK|
|Gareth Davis, (Chairman) |
Miles Roberts (CEO)
|Revenue||£5,765 million (2018)|
|£437 million (2018)|
|£259 million (2018)|
Number of employees
The business was founded by David Solomon Smith in 1940, to manufacture cartons. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in the late 1950s. In 1986 it acquired St Regis Paper Company and in 1988 Kemsley Paper Mill, both paper manufacturing businesses. In 1991 the business bought Kaysersberg Packaging, a leading packaging business, and in 1993 it bought Spicers, an office products wholesaler. In 1996 it acquired John Dickinson, an envelope manufacturer, and in 2004 it completed the purchase of Linpac Containers, a corrugated packaging manufacturer. In July 2011 it sold Spicers, its office products wholesaling business, for £200 million. DS Smith Plc acquired the packaging division of Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget ('SCA') for a net consideration of approximately €1.6 billion (c. £1.3 billion) on 1 July 2012. In May 2015, DS Smith Group completed the acquisition of Duropack for approximately €300m (c. £220m). In December 2017 the company became a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
The company manufactures packaging - corrugated packaging, plastic packaging and recycled paper - at sites across the UK.
- "Preliminary Results 2018" (PDF). DS Smith. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "At a glance". DSSmith.com Corporate. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "History". DS Smith. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- David Smith buys Spicers for £95m: Purchase of envelope maker marks move away from cyclical paper making The Independent, 26 June 1993
- "Hamelin Brands - branded envelopes, notebooks, pads, diaries". hamelinpaperbrands.co.uk. Archived from the original on 26 June 2008. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- DS Smith to acquire Linpac Containers UK Official Board Markets, June 2004
- DS Smith sells Spicers to Unipapel for £200m Packaging News, 3 January 2012
- DS Smith packages up £1.3bn deal for Swedish rival SCA Packaging This is Money, 18 January 2012
- "DS Smith snaps up Duropack for €300m". FT. 23 February 2015. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "New FTSE 100 entrant DS Smith could make you brilliantly rich". Motley Fool. Retrieved 10 March 2019.