Screenshot of DVBViewer 126.96.36.199 running on Windows 7.
|Original author(s)||Christian Hackbart|
|Developer(s)||Christian Hackbart, Lars Gehre|
188.8.131.52 / 7 September 2019
|Operating system||Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7|
|Available in||21 languages|
|Type||HTPC, Television, Digital Video Broadcasting|
DVBViewer is proprietary, commercial software for viewing & recording of DVB TV & Radio using a TV tuner card or box and a Media Center for viewing Music, Video and Pictures. Among its other features are an electronic program guide (EPG), remote control support, on-screen display, teletext, time shifting and picture-in-picture. Besides the support for BDA adapters, there is also the ability to use the Hauppauge MediaMVP with DVBViewer. The software also allows Unicable, DiSEqC and usage of CI-Modules with most adapters. The worldwide charge for the application is 15 euro or 22 US Dollars. Additional functions such as video on demand, TV series and movie management, home network distribution of TV to network devices including iPod Touch, iPhone & iPad & Android devices (with additional remote control features), and a recording service with web interface are provided by free plugins. A plug-in offering MHEG-5 and HbbTV support is available for a license fee of 12 euros.
DVBViewer was the first windows application with HDTV support, right after the Euro 1080 started its transmission via satellite. It also was one of the first alternative applications supporting the DVB-S2 broadcast standard and being compatible to most tuner cards supporting this standard using BDA, a standardized driver interface for digital video capture developed by Microsoft. Therefore, it presented itself as a valuable replacement for the manufacturers bundled software, often only providing fundamental functionality. The current version allows the use of Sat>IP on the client- and also on the server side.
There are three editions of the DVBViewer available, an OEM edition, a commercial one, DVBViewer Pro and an alternative edition, DVBViewer GE, mainly aimed at German speaking customers of the commercial edition. An OEM edition is included with products by various manufacturers:
- TechniSat DVBViewer TE & TE2 
- TerraTec DVBViewer Terratec Edition 
- TechnoTrend TT Viewer 
- Digital Everywhere
- RF Central.
A comprehensive review (in German) of the software can be found at DVBMagic, or in English in the UK's best selling computer magazine, Computeractive. DVBViewer is also mentioned in 16 hardware reviews on techradar, Future plc's UK Tech magazine.
- "DVB Viewer Change Log". Retrieved Sep 26, 2019.
- Marco Kaiser (2004-01-01). "HDTV europea". AF Digitale. Archived from the original on 2012-06-21.
- Jörg Knitter, Scharfe Sache - HDTV am PC, PC Magazin, 10/2006, p. 60.
- "Skystar USB HD datasheet" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-06-17. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "Skystar S2 datasheet" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-11-12. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Terratec S7
- TerraTec DVB devices
- "Technotrend TT Budget S2" (PDF). Retrieved Aug 7, 2019.
- "TechnoTrend GmbH is now part of the Kathrein-Firmengruppe". Archived from the original on 2010-10-07. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "FireDTV Viewer for FireDTV/FloppyDTV based on DVBViewer". Archived from the original on 2010-06-03. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "DVBSky - Enjoy HDTV on PC! DVB-T2 / DVB-S2 Professional TV Tuner Card and Box for PC". www.dvbsky.net. Retrieved Aug 7, 2019.
- "TBS Download Center-Update the Latest Window & Linux Driver". www.tbsdtv.com. Retrieved Aug 7, 2019.
- "DVBShop sells a special DVBViewer Version". Archived from the original on 2012-10-22. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Vitec | Home". www.vitecgroup.com. Retrieved Aug 7, 2019.
- http://www.dvbmagic.de/tv-software/dvbviewer-pro.htm DVBMagic Software Review
- http://www.computeractive.co.uk/pcw/review/1919595/review-dvb-viewer-pro-350-digital-tv-software Review: DVB Viewer Pro 3.5.0 digital TV software
- "Search results for dvbviewer | Search | TechRadar". www.techradar.com. Retrieved Aug 7, 2019.