June 28, 1982 |
West Jordan, Utah, United States
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||75 in (190 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Sandy, Utah|
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
DaMarques Johnson (born June 28, 1982) is an American mixed martial artist. He was the Welterweight runner-up on The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom.
Johnson was born and raised in West Jordan, Utah, he and his family were poor and lived in a rough part of the town. Johnson was primarily raised by his Mormon mother, as his father died when he was nine years old. Johnson attended and graduated from Kearns High School, where he competed in wrestling and basketball and would often get into fights. In 2000, Johnson joined the United States Army and National Guard, an option given to him as a kid to get out of some trouble. Johnson, who was a standout in hand to hand combat, worked in the S-1 and did paperwork for other soldiers while assigned to a Special Forces group. It was in 2001, while still enlisted, when a fellow soldier in his platoon introduced to Johnson to Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He trained at Close Combat Institute (CCI) After returning to civilian life following his eight years of active duty, he met Jeremy Horn and began training in mixed martial arts at his gym. Before taping for the Ultimate Fighter, DaMarques taught children's Brazilian jiu-jitsu classes at Sandy's Elite Performance gym.
Mixed martial arts career
Johnson, who in the earlier portions of his career fought as high in the weight classes as Heavyweight had his first fight in 2005, losing by technical knockout. He was submitted by the highly regarded Brock Larson in his second fight. In his third professional fight, Johnson had his first win at a King of the Cage event, winning the fight by submission due to punches.
The Ultimate Fighter
Johnson appeared on The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom. He defeated Ray Elbe by technical knockout in an elimination match earning him a spot on the United States team. Johnson won his second fight against Dean Amasinger by submission using a triangle choke, which is noted by his coaches and teammates to be his signature submission move. Johnson won his semi-final match up against Nick Osipczak by unanimous decision. This win earned him the first spot in the Welterweight Finals.
Johnson also gained notoriety throughout the series due to his ongoing feud with Team UK coach Michael Bisping. Tensions reached an all-time high after Bisping squirted water into Johnson's face citing that Johnson had made a racist comment toward him earlier in the week. However, the comment was made by fellow USA teammate Cameron Dollar, causing Bisping to apologize to Johnson for his behavior.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Johnson lost his UFC debut when he fought James Wilks on June 20, 2009 in Las Vegas to crown the TUF 9 welterweight winner. Johnson tapped out to a rear-naked choke with six seconds left in round one. After the finale, Johnson was offered a multi-fight contract with the UFC.
Johnson was scheduled to face off against Peter Sobotta on November 14, 2009 at UFC 105, but the bout was cancelled due to a military commitment for Sobotta. Johnson instead fought and defeated Edgar García via submission (triangle choke) in the first round at UFC 107, earning him a Submission of the Night bonus. UFC.com ranked the submission fourth in the UFC's 2009 Submission of Year and had honorable mention for UFC's 2009 Fight of the Year.
At UFC 112, Johnson fought seasoned veteran Brad Blackburn, defeating him via third-round TKO with a kick to the body and follow up punches. Johnson received his second UFC bonus, winning Knockout of the Night honors.
Johnson then faced Matthew Riddle on August 1, 2010, at UFC on Versus 2. However, Johnson weighed in at 172.5 lb (and only lost half a pound after the weigh-in). Johnson had to give up 20% of his purse to Riddle. Riddle defeated Johnson via TKO in the second round.
Johnson faced Amir Sadollah on March 26, 2011 at UFC Fight Night 24, replacing an injured James Wilks on just two weeks notice. Johnson lost the bout in the second round after tapping out to elbows while he was trapped in the 'gift wrap' control.
Johnson faced Mike Swick on August 4, 2012 at UFC on FOX 4. Swick rocked Johnson early in the first round but Johnson weathered the storm and seemed to have the advantage at the end of the round with his grappling. Early in the second round Swick leg swept Johnson to the ground and finished him off with a punch; followed by two more strikes to an already unconscious Johnson.
Johnson was tabbed as a short notice replacement and faced promotional newcomer Gunnar Nelson at a catchweight of 175 lbs. on September 29, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 5, replacing an injured Pascal Krauss. Johnson did not make weight, coming in at 183 lbs. and lost the fight via first round submission due to a rear naked choke. After his loss to Nelson and missing weight by 8 lbs., Johnson was released from the UFC.
Johnson was expected to face Jason South at Showdown Fights 10 on February 8, 2013, however the bout was cancelled prior to the event.
Finally, over a year after his UFC release, Johnson faced Ian Williams at Cage Warrior Combat 9 on November 2, 2013. He lost the fight via split decision. He was then expected to face Indalecio Tat Romero at Dakota FC: Winter Brawl on January 11, 2014. However, Johnson was forced out of the bout due to injury.
Johnson has a son.
Championships and accomplishments
- Throwdown Showdown
- TS Welterweight Championship (One time)
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|31 matches||16 wins||15 losses|
|Loss||16–15||Joe Rodriguez||Submission (Von Flue choke)||SteelFist Fight Night 36: Conflict||August 7, 2015||2||3:52||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States||Middleweight bout.|
|Loss||16–14||Matt Dwyer||TKO (punches)||BFL 30: Battlefield Fight League||May 23, 2014||2||3:39||Richmond, British Columbia, Canada||175 lb Catchweight Bout; Johnson missed weight|
|Loss||16–13||Ian Williams||Decision (split)||Cage Warrior Combat 9||November 2, 2013||3||5:00||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Loss||16–12||Gunnar Nelson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||September 29, 2012||1||3:34||Nottingham, England||183 lb Catchweight bout|
|Loss||16–11||Mike Swick||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera||August 4, 2012||2||1:20||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||16–10||John Maguire||Submission (armbar)||UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva||April 14, 2012||2||4:40||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||16–9||Clay Harvison||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos||November 12, 2011||1||1:34||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Loss||15–9||Amir Sadollah||Submission (elbows)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||2||3:27||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||15–8||Mike Guymon||Submission (body triangle)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 2||January 22, 2011||1||3:22||Killeen, Texas, United States|
|Loss||14–8||Matthew Riddle||TKO (punches)||UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko||August 1, 2010||2||4:29||San Diego, California, United States||172 lb Catchweight bout; Johnson missed weight|
|Win||14–7||Brad Blackburn||TKO (body kick and punches)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||3||2:08||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Won Knockout of the Night|
|Win||13–7||Edgar García||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC 107||December 12, 2009||1||4:03||Memphis, Tennessee, United States||Won Submission of the Night|
|Loss||12–7||James Wilks||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale||June 20, 2009||1||4:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lost The Ultimate Fighter 9|
|Loss||12–6||Ryan Williams||Decision (unanimous)||Extreme Challenge 109||October 18, 2008||3||5:00||Moline, Illinois, United States|
|Win||12–5||Brandon Olsen||Submission (triangle choke)||Throwdown Showdown 2||September 26, 2008||2||1:31||Orem, Utah, United States||Won the TS Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||11–5||Ron Vincent||TKO (punches)||Jeremy Horn's Elite Fight Night 3||July 12, 2008||1||2:36||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||10–5||Samuel Rauch||Submission (triangle choke)||Total Mayhem 1||May 31, 2008||2||2:50||Ogden, Utah, United States|
|Win||9–5||Harold Lucambio||Submission (triangle choke)||Throwdown Showdown 1||April 18, 2008||1||1:53||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Win||8–5||Sterling Nitsuma||KO (knee)||Jeremy Horn's Elite Fight Night 1||April 5, 2008||1||2:05||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||7–5||William Layton||TKO (punches)||UCE Round 28: Episode 2||October 13, 2007||1||0:55||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Loss||6–5||Court McGee||Submission (guillotine choke)||UCE Round 26: Finals||June 16, 2007||3||1:50||St. George, Utah, United States|
|Win||6–4||Hank Weiss||Submission (punches)||UCE Round 26: Episode 9||June 2, 2007||2||1:15||Sandy, Utah, United States|
|Win||5–4||Harold Lucambio||Decision (unanimous)||UCE Round 25: Finals||March 17, 2007||3||3:00||West Valley City, Utah, United States|
|Loss||4–4||Justin Wright||TKO (punches)||UCE Round 23: Episode 7||November 11, 2006||1||4:27||Sandy, Utah, United States|
|Win||4–3||Tim Panter||TKO (punches)||UCE Round 23: Episode 3||October 14, 2006||2||N/A||Sandy, Utah, United States|
|Win||3–3||Jake Paul||Submission (kimura)||Utah Fight Night 1||June 30, 2006||1||1:46||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||2–3||Harold Lucambio||Decision (split)||UCE: Round 19: Episode 2||January 14, 2006||5||3:00||Sandy, Utah, United States|
|Loss||1–3||Justin Wright||Submission (triangle choke)||UCE Round 18: Episode 6||December 10, 2005||2||1:48||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||1–2||David Rodrique||Submission (punches)||KOTC: Shock and Awe||October 1, 2005||1||1:51||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||0–2||Brock Larson||Submission (keylock)||Extreme Challenge 63||July 23, 2005||3||1:02||Hayward, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Paul Purcell||TKO (punches)||XFC: Dome Of Destruction 1||April 29, 2005||1||0:17||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
- DaMarques "Darkness" Johnson - Official UFC® Fighter Profile
- "First day as a brown belt ...first day stalkin my Black belt". Twitter. December 9, 2013.
- "DaMarques Johnson: More than a cocky attitude with a good jab". MMAGirls. Archived from the original on June 12, 2010. Retrieved June 9, 2009.
- "10 TUF Questions for DaMarques Johnson". AroundTheOctagon.com. March 15, 2009. Retrieved June 10, 2009.
- "DaMarques Johnson". Spike.com. Retrieved June 4, 2009.
- "Mixed Martial Arts: Utahn a finalist on 'Ultimate Fighter'". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved June 4, 2009.
- "DaMarques Johnson Pro Record". Sherdog. Retrieved June 4, 2009.
- "The Wrap-Up: TUF 9 U.S. vs. U.K. Episode 10". 5.Oz of Pain. Retrieved June 9, 2009.
- "JOHNSON VS. SOBOTTA AT UFC 105". MMAweekly.com. 2009-08-18. Retrieved 2009-08-18.[dead link]
- "Full "UFC 105: Couture vs. Vera" card announced, Johnson vs. Sobotta scrapped". mmajunkie.com. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- "Exclusive: Edgar Garcia vs. DaMarques Jones set for UFC 107". 5Oz. of Pain. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- "DaMarques Johnson, UFC 112 both appear headed to Abu Dhabi". MMAJunkie. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- Jesse Holland. "UFC 112: DaMarques Johnson vs Brad Blackburn on tap for April 10". MMAmania.
- "UFC targets DaMarques Johnson vs. Matt Riddle for UFC on Versus 2". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- "DaMarques Johnson vs. Mike Guymon slated for Jan. 22 UFC Fight Night 23 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "UFC Fight Night 24: Amir Sadollah vs DaMarques Johnson booked with James Wilks out". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- "DaMarques Johnson vs. Clay Harvison set for UFC Fight Night 25". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "UFC Fight Night 25 Update: Johnson Out, Baczynski In". mmaweekly.com. August 31, 2011.
- "Clay Harvison vs. DaMarques Johnson targeted for UFC on FOX 1". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- "UFC on Fuel TV 2 adds Johnson vs. Maguire". TrueFighting.com. December 23, 2011. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX 4 adds Swick-Johnson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "Debuting Gunnar Nelson Now Draws DaMarques Johnson at UFC on Fuel TV 5". MMAWeekly.com. 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Dann Stupp (October 9, 2012). "DaMarques Johnson confirms UFC release". MMAjunkie.com.
- Tapology.com Staff (February 8, 2013). "DaMarques Johnson vs. Jason South cancelled". tapology.com.
- MMAMadHouse.com Staff (November 2, 2013). "Cage Warrior Combat 9 – Hayes vs Monson Results". mmamadhouse.com.
- Tapology.com Staff (January 11, 2014). "Dakota FC: Winter Brawl Results". tapology.com.
- Mike Whitman (January 29, 2014). "DaMarques Johnson-Daniel Stittgen, Jeremy Horn-Dan McGlasson Booked for APFC 16". Sherdog.com.
- Tapology.com Staff (April 5, 2014). "DaMarques Johnson vs. Dan Stittgen". tapology.com.
- Keith Grienke (April 17, 2014). "Matt Dwyer To Face UFC Vet At BFL 30 On May 23". TopMMANews.com.
- Tapology.com Staff (May 23, 2014). "Matt Dwyer vs. DaMarques "Darkness" Johnson, BFL 30". tapology.com.
- Professional MMA record for DaMarques Johnson from Sherdog
- UFC Profile
- Sponsorship and Clothing Line