Dabangg (film series)
|Directed by||Abhinav Kashyap|
|Produced by||Arbaaz Khan|
Dabangg, Dabangg 2, Dabangg 3
Malaika Arora Khan
|Written by||Dilip Shukla|
Dabangg, Dabangg 2, Dabangg 3
Dabangg, Dabangg 2
Dabangg, Dabangg 2, Dabangg 3
|Cinematography||Mahesh Limaye |
(Dabangg, Dabangg 2)
(Dabangg 2, Dabangg 3)
|Edited by||Pranav V Dhiwar|
Rameshwar S. Bhagat
Arbaaz Khan Productions
|Distributed by||Arbaaz Khan Productions|
Dabangg 2, Dabangg 3
Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd
|1: 10 September 2010|
2: 21 December 2012
3: 20 December 2019
|Budget||₹1.02 billion (US$14 million)|
|Box office||₹4.65 billion (US$65 million)|
Dabangg is a series of Indian action films. The first film was directed by Abhinav Kashyap and produced by Arbaaz Khan, and the rest of the films were produced and directed by Arbaaz Khan. The series stars Salman Khan as Chulbul Pandey.
Chulbul Pandey, a young boy, lives with his younger half-brother, Makhanchan "Makkhi" Pandey, stepfather Prajapati Pandey (Vinod Khanna) and mother, Naina Devi (Dimple Kapadia) in Laalgunj, Uttar Pradesh. His stepfather is always partial towards Makkhi which constantly angers Chulbul. He harbours a feeling of resentment and indifference towards his stepfather.
21 years later, a scene shows a gang of robbers trying to steal money from a bank, when Chulbul (Salman Khan), now a cop, tries to recover the money by beating up the robbers. It becomes clear later that he keeps the money for himself. Chulbul, who calls himself "Robin Hood" Pandey, lives with his family and does not have a good relationship with his stepfather and Makkhi. Makkhi (Arbaaz Khan) is in love with a girl called Nirmala (Mahi Gill), whose father Masterji (Tinu Anand) opposes the relationship. Chulbul falls in love with a girl named Rajjo (Sonakshi Sinha), whom he chances upon during a police encounter.
An evil political leader by the name of Chhedi Singh (Sonu Sood) meets Chulbul and tells him that the people he beat up and stole the money from are party workers and that they were getting money for the party. But he offers to forgive Chulbul on the condition that Chulbul start working for him. Chulbul flatly refuses.
Makkhi asks his father to arrange his marriage with Nirmala. His father refuses saying that he needs money to repay the loans he took to make his factory, so he needs his son to marry a rich girl. Makkhi, in desperate need of money, steals it from Chulbul's cupboard and is caught red-handed by his mother. He tells her that he intends to give the money to Nirmala's father, who in turn will return the money after marriage through dowry. Although his mother refuses, he reluctantly takes the money and gives it to Nirmala's father.
Meanwhile, Chulbul meets Rajo and proposes marriage. She rejects it saying that she has to look after her father, Haria (Mahesh Manjrekar), who is always drunk and she cannot marry while he is alive. Chulbul then comes home to find his mother dead. He goes to his stepfather to make peace, as he is the only family left. His stepfather rejects and despises him as an outcast. Chulbul is then attacked at the railway station by Chedi's men, when he is with Rajo and her father; he beats up all of them in a fight. He sees Makkhi buying new clothes at the market. On approaching him, Makkhi says that he is getting married to Nirmala and invites Chulbul to the marriage. Chulbul tries to convince Rajo's father to give his daughter's hand in marriage to him and to stop drinking. Rajo's father accepts and, after Chulbul leaves, he plunges into a lake and commits suicide, as he knows that his daughter will not marry anyone while he is alive. Chulbul takes Rajo to Makkhi's exuberant wedding. Realizing that Makkhi has stolen his brother's money to finance the wedding, Chulbul marries Rajo in an informal ceremony. Nirmala's father, Masterji, feels disgraced and cancels the wedding.
Makkhi beats up one of the workers in his factory due to an accident. The workers go to the police station with his mother to file a complaint. Instead Chulbul beats up Makkhi in public, thus disgracing him. Chedi Singh decides to take advantage of the situation and suspend Chulbul. He takes Makkhi and his father to the police station. But Makkhi's father resolves the situation by accepting an apology from Chulbul. Chulbul meets Dayal Babu (Anupam Kher), the leader of Lok Manch, who also dislikes Chedi Singh. They come to an agreement to keep Chedi Singh in control. Chulbul adulterates the breweries of Chedi Singh due to which some people fall ill and Chedi Singh is blamed. Chedi Singh is confronted by Chulbul who openly reveals that he spoiled the breweries.
To take revenge, Chedi Singh burns Makkhi's factory. Makkhi's father has a heart attack due to shock and is hospitalised. Makkhi, in desperate need of money for his father's treatment agrees to do anything for Chedi Singh, without realising that it was Chedi Singh who burnt his factory. Chedi Singh orders him to deliver a crate of mangoes to Dayal Babu's house. But, unknown to Makkhi, there is a bomb in it. After he leaves the house, it explodes, killing Dayal Babu. Chedi Singh gives Makkhi a task to kill Chulbul. Makkhi, knowing that he would not do it, accepts it and meets Chulbul. He confesses to Chulbul that he was sent to kill him by Chedi Singh. He reveals to Chulbul that Chedi Singh made him plant the bomb unknowingly. Chulbul forgives him and reconciles with his stepfather. Makkhi meets Chedi Singh, who thinks that Makkhi killed Chulbul and reveals to Makkhi that he had killed Makkhi's mother. Chedi Singh is then informed that Chulbul is arriving with a huge police force. Makkhi reveals to Chedi Singh that he did not kill Chulbul. In a final battle, Chulbul arrives and takes down all the goons and rescues Makkhi. Chedi Singh and chulbul have a furious fight where they both hurt each other badly . Cheddi Singh defeats chulbul but after learning that cheddi Singh had killed chulbuls mom, he kills cheddi singhHe then defeats Chedi Singh.Chulbul gets Makkhi married to Nirmala in the presence of their father, while Rajo reveals that she is pregnant.
Dabangg 2 (2012)
The story carries on from the previous film— Inspector Chulbul Pandey (Salman Khan)— in charge of a local police station in Kanpur and resides there with his wife Rajjo (Sonakshi Sinha), brother Makkhi (Arbaaz Khan) and stepfather (Vinod Khanna). A boy gets kidnapped from a school therefore Chulbul deals with the problem. In Kanpur, an assassin murders a witness who is about to testify against a dreaded don. Chulbul tracks the assassin down, killing him at a coffeehouse. The don is Bachcha (Prakash Raj), a struggling politician. After several public altercations, Bachcha's brother Genda (Deepak Dobriyal) convinces him to get rid of Pandey, threatening Chulbul's stepfather to kill his entire family if Chulbul keeps on interfering in Bachcha's criminal activities.
Genda harasses a girl, arriving at her wedding to kidnap her. Chulbul arrives at the wedding and asks Genda to leave. Genda refuses to comply and continues to insult Chulbul. Chulbul breaks his neck, leading to his death. In the meantime his wife becomes pregnant, Pandey being advised by everybody to leave Bachcha alone for the sake of his family's safety. Bachcha, promising to avenge his brother's death, decides to do so before the election. He meets Rajjo and Makkhi whilst they are exiting from a temple where Makkhi is shot by Bachcha and Rajjo is pushed off the temple stairs. However both of them survive with Rajjo having a miscarriage and a head injury.
Chulbul is enraged at the loss of his first child. He enters Bachcha's location and kills all of his men. He tries to arrest Bachcha, but when Bachcha tries to tease him, he kills him instantly by grabbing a gun and shooting him with 2 bullets in the chest. Later, Chulbul and Rajjo have their first child, a baby boy. Right at the end, Chedi Singh's photographer (from the first film, Dabangg) arrives asking for a family photo. They all laugh and the photographer takes the picture.
Production for Dabangg 3
In 2013, it was reported that Dabangg 3 will be a prequel. In 2014, during the promotion of his production Dolly Ki Doli director of the series Arbaaz Khan confirmed that Dabangg 3 will indeed happen and that the pre-production of it will start soon. It has to be an out of the box idea, only then we can think of making it into a film. Dabangg 3 will not about the story carried forward but something very different coming in way. In March 2015, Arbaaz Khan said: he may not direct Dabangg 3 due to the pressure of playing three roles (Producer, Actor and Director) in it. In April 2015, Arbaaz Khan said the film may take one or two years to shape up as it is postponed due to Sultan. After much speculation, it is confirmed in August 2016, that Sonakshi Sinha will be part of Dabangg 3 and another actress might join her. Later in that month it is reported Kajol was offered the role of an antagonist, but she refused to play it, as she told the media that "her role is not that strong like Salman".
As of October 2017, it was reported the writers has been started scripting the film, and it would go on floors by the mid 2018. In the following month it is confirmed by Arbaaz Khan, that Prabhu Deva would direct the film, and he will look after the creative control. As of March 2018, Deva confirmed that he will direct the film and Salman Khan, Sonakshi Sinha and Arbaaz Khan will be portrait their earlier respective character. Sajid-Wajid will again compose for the film soundtrack. It is also slated to release on 27 May 2020.
Cast and characters
|Dabangg 3 |
|Inspector Chulbul Pandey||Salman Khan
Master Arhan Wilson
|Makhanchan "Makkhi" Pandey||Arbaaz Khan
Master Meet Kothari
|Prajapati Pandey||Vinod Khanna|
|Rajjo Pandey||Sonakshi Sinha|
|Nirmala Pandey||Mahi Gill|
|Masterji||Tinu Anand||Tinu Anand
|Chhedi Singh' photographer||Shyamlaal||Shyamlaal
|Naini Devi||Dimple Kapadia||Mentioned only|
|Chhedi Singh||Sonu Sood||Mentioned only|
|Haria||Mahesh Manjrekar||Mentioned only|
|Kasturilal Vishkarma||Om Puri|
|Dayal Babu||Anupam Kher|
|ACP Malik||Murli Sharma|
|Munni||Malaika Arora Khan
|Thakur Bachcha Singh||Prakash Raj|
|Inspector Siddique||Gireesh Sahedev|
|Unnamed special appearances
in item number
|Kareena Kapoor Khan
(In "Favicol se")
|Director||Abhinav Kashyap||Arbaaz Khan||Prabhu Deva|
|Producer(s)||Arbaaz Khan||Arbaaz Khan|
|Songs composer(s)||Sajid-Wajid, Lalit Pandit
|Director of photography||Mahesh Limaye||Aseem Mishra|
|Editor(s)||Pranav V Dhiwar||Hemal Kothari|
Release and revenue
|Film||Release date||Budget||Box office revenue|
|Dabangg||10 September 2010||₹410 million (US$5.7 million)||₹2.2 billion (US$31 million)|
|Dabangg 2||21 December 2012||₹790 million (US$11 million)||₹2.50 billion (US$35 million)|
|Dabangg 3||20 December 2019||₹990 million (US$14 million)||N/A|
|Total||₹2.3 billion (US$32 million)
|₹4.7 billion (US$65 million)|
Dabangg received accolades in major film award functions in India. Among them, it won a National Film Award for the Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment. It was given six awards at the 56th Filmfare Awards, including one for Best Film, seven Screen Awards, nine Zee Cine Awards and ten IIFA Awards.
- "Dabangg: Cast and Crew details". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- "Salman Khan plays cop in Dabangg Hindi movie". The Times of India. 30 July 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Dabangg unveiled!". Rediff. 6 September 2010. Retrieved 8 September 2010.
- "chulbul pandey: Latest News, Videos and Photos - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Salman Khan's Dabangg 3 to be a prequel". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 26 December 2012.
- ""Dabangg 3 will be a Prequel" – Salman Khan". Koimoi.
- "Dabangg 3 to be a prequel". NDTVMovies.com.
- "Arbaaz Khan: Dabangg 3 will definitely happen". The Times of India.
- "Sonakshi Sinha not in 'Dabangg 3'". dna.
- Koimoi. "Dabangg 3 scripting to start soon". koimoi.
- "I may or may not direct 'Dabangg 3': Arbaaz Khan". India TV News.
- "'Dabangg 3' may take one or two years, says Arbaaz Khan". 6 April 2015.
- "Will Parineeti Chopra replace Sonakshi Sinha in Dabangg 3? - Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". 19 July 2016.
- "Sonakshi Sinha not in Salman Khan's Dabangg 3 because of bad blood?". India Today. 7 July 2016.
- "Another actress might join Sonakshi in Salman's Dabangg 3: Arbaaz Khan". 30 August 2016.
- "Dabangg 3: If Rajjo is in the film, I'll play her, says Sonakshi Sinha". India Today. 24 August 2016.
- "Kajol refuses the villain's role in Salman's 'Dabangg 3'?". 17 August 2016.
- "Dabangg 3 shoot will start by middle of next year, reveals Arbaaz Khan". 26 October 2017.
- "Dabangg 3 to go on floors in mid 2018. Will Salman-Arbaaz be able to recreate the magic?". India Today. 26 October 2017.
- "Finally, we have an update on Dabangg 3 from Arbaaz Khan". Times Now.
- "Dabangg 3:Prabhu Deva to direct Salman Khan-starrer 'Dabangg 3', confirms Arbaaz Khan". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "The Biggest Profit Makers 2010". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014.
- "Top All Time Worldwide Grossers Updated 11/5/2012". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013.
- "Will Dabangg 2 Beat The All time Record of Three Idiots?". Box Office India. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "Chennai Express Crosses Ek Tha Tiger Worldwide in Ten Days". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- NDTV Movies (19 May 2011). "Dabangg Wins National Award for Wholesome Entertainment". NDTV. Archived from the original on 20 May 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Bollywood Hungama (7 January 2011). "Winners of 17th Annual Star Screen Awards 2011". Sify. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Bollywood Hungama (15 January 2011). "Winners of Zee Cine Awards 2011". Sify. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "IIFA Awards 2011: Dabangg' bags six awards". The Economic Times. Indo-Asian News Service. 26 June 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "Nominations for Zee Cinema Awards 2013". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Colors Screen Awards Winners". Colors Screen Awards. 12 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Bollywood snippets: Amyra to do a chulbul pandey". The Times of India.
- "Salman Khan's 'Chulbul Pandey' Character Inspires Soha Ali Khan's Next Role?". Dailymotion.
- YouTube. YouTube.
- Salman Khan's 'Chulbul Pandey' Character Inspires Soha Ali Khan's Next Role. YouTube. 24 November 2013.
- "Salman Khan's 'Chulbul Pandey' Character Inspires Soha Ali Khan's Next Role?". Yahoo Movies India. 2 December 2012.
- "Rani Mukherji to do a Chulbul Pandey?". dna.
- "Rani Mukerji to do a Chulbul Pandey in 'Mardaani'!". ApunKaChoice. Archived from the original on 4 February 2015.
- "Chulbul Pandey inspires Soha". Deccan Chronicle.