Israr Sardaar Malik , Krish Malik
21 January 1963
|Other names||Daboo Sardar Malik|
|Occupation||Playback singer, music composer, actor|
|Known for||Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge|
I Proud to Be an Indian
|Relatives||Anu Malik (brother) |
Sardar Malik (father)
Malik was born 21 January 1963 in Mumbai to music director Sardar Malik. He has two brothers, Bollywood music director Anu Malik and Abu Malik. Uncle Hasrat Jaipuri was a lyrcist in the 1900s. After Daboo completed his Bachelor of Commerce at Narsee Monjee College, in Mumbai, he followed his family’s tradition. Daboo pursued various artistic roles, such as singing, acting, and assisting Anu in directing music.
Daboo Malik was initially uninterested in singing or composing music, preferring acting. In 1986 Daboo Malik pursued a small role in a small screen movie, called Mahabharat by B.R. Chopra, and furthered his career by acting in other movies such as, Beta ho toh aisa, Tirangaa, and Baazigar. In 2013, however, Malik switched to music—in an interview, he stated: "I was acting and unconsciously working on my inner talent of composing music. I realized I wasted a lot of time. I only wanted to pursue acting for stardom."
His first album as a solo music director,Yeh Zindagi ka Safar, was released in 2001. The following year, he composed his first song "Thoda Sa Pyaar Hua Hai" for Maine Dil Tujhko Diya, followed by more movie music such as Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge and Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam in 2002, I Proud to Be an Indian in 2004 and Kisaan in 2009.
Malik attributes the discovery of his talent as a music director, to Salim Khan. In a 2013 interview, Malik explained: “My meeting with Salim Khan is [sic] unforgettable. He found me similar to my dad’s personality, and I sang for the first time in front of him. Salim told me right away that I’m born to become a composer. I get goosebumps even when I think about it now, as my conversation with Salim Khan changed everything, and my musical journey began."
In 2014, Malik further became both the composer and scriptwriter for a forthcoming musical thriller W., directed by Tarun Madan.
Daboo Malik is married to Jyothi Malik. They have two sons, Armaan Malik and Amaal Mallik. Both sons actively participate in the Bollywood industry. Armaan is a singer while Amaal is a music composer..
Malik has composed music for Bollywood films such as
- Phir Lahraya Lal Dupatta (1989)
- Baazigar Ravi (Seema's Lover Suicide Fake Murderer) (1993)
- Yeh Zindagi Ka Safar (2001)
- Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge (2002)
- Maine Dil Tujhko Diya (2002)
- Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam (2002)
- Tumse Milke Wrong Number (2003)
- Girlfriend (2004)
- I Proud to Be an Indian (2004)
- Kissan (2009)
- W (2014)
- Ekta (2018)
- Forgotten Composers Unforgettable Melodies (5): Sardar Malik "Songs of Yore."Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- About "Daboo Malik."Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- Daboo Malik "LinkedIn."Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- New This Week-Daboo Malik-Episode "YouTube."Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- Daboo Malik makes waves in Bollywood "Smashits."Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Daboo Malik Turns Scriptwriter "World of Entertainment."Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Time Out with Daboo and Jyoti Malik "Shaadi Times."Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Daboo Malik. artistaloud.com.