Daddy's Roommate is a children's book written by Michael Willhoite and published by Alyson Books in 1991. One of the first popular books to address the subject of homosexuality, the story follows a young boy whose divorced father now lives with his life partner.
Consequently, the book has become one of the most challenged books in recent years with the American Library Association listing it at number 2 in their list of the 100 most challenged books from 1990-1999. Despite its challenges, this book won a Lambda Literary Analysis book award under the Gay Men's Small Press category.
Lon Mabon, an Oregon politician, used Daddy's Roommate and Heather Has Two Mommies in his campaign to amend the state constitution to allow for discrimination against lesbians and gay men. He used the two books as evidence of a militant homosexual agenda that served as damaging to children. However, citizens of Oregon voted on November 3, 1992, and the measure was defeated. 
Daddy's Roommate became a point of discussion in the 2008 US Presidential Election when it was alleged that, in 1995, Sarah Palin, then a councilwoman in Wasilla, Alaska, complained that the book did not belong in the public library. Laura Chase asked Palin if she had read Daddy's Roommate, and Palin responded that she "didn't need to read that stuff." Palin asked the librarian in Wasilla to remove the book from the library's shelves three times and all three times, the librarian refused. As a result, Palin fired the librarian, but eventually rehired her due to public pressure.
In 2005, the Centerville School Board removed the book from the library as well as banned the novel from being used on school property.
- Heather Has Two Mommies, by Lesléa Newman, portrays a lesbian couple in a similar fashion
- Homosexuality in children's literature
- "100 most frequently challenged books: 1990–1999". American Library Association. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- Egan, Timothy. "Oregon Measure Asks State to Repress Homosexuality". Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- Stein, Sam (September 13, 2008). "Author Of Book Palin Targeted Lashes Back: She's My Mortal Enemy". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "LGBTQ Book Bans and Challenges". National Coalition Against Censorship. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Banned Books Awareness: "Daddy's Roommate" by Michael Willhoite - World leading higher education information and services". World leading higher education information and services. 2011-02-20. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Banned Books Awareness: "Daddy's Roommate" by Michael Willhoite – Banned Books Awareness". bbark.deepforestproductions.com. Retrieved 2018-09-13.