|Industry||Video game industry|
|Founded||1 March 2007|
Number of employees
|Parent||Bastei Lübbe (2014–present)|
Daedalic Entertainment GmbH is a German video game developer and publisher based in Hamburg. They are best known for developing point-and-click adventure games. Daedalic operates two subsidiary studios: Daedalic Entertainment Studio West (in Düsseldorf; since July 2014) and Daedalic Entertainment Bavaria (in Munich; since February 2018).
Daedalic Entertainment was founded on 1 March 2007 in a small Hamburg office by chief executive officer (CEO) Carsten Fichtelmann and creative director Jan Müller-Michaelis. Prior to founding Daedalic, Fichtelmann was marketing director for German publisher DTP Entertainment.
Shortly afterwards, the adventure game 1½ Knights – In Search of the Ravishing Princess Herzelinde was published, named after the same film. On 28 August 2009, the adventure game The Whispered World followed and the adventure title A New Beginning, which focuses on climate change, was published on 8 October 2010. In 2011, the sequel to Edna & Harvey: The Breakout was released with the title Harvey’s New Eyes. A year later, a new adventure named Deponia was released to the market, which received several awards as well.
In May 2014, German publisher Bastei Lübbe acquired a majority share of 51% in Daedalic Entertainment. The following July, Daedalic opened a subsidiary studio, Daedalic Entertainment Studio West, in Düsseldorf.
In November 2016, Daedalic laid off twelve of its roughly 150 employees, primarily from the production and marketing departments, and opted not to renew several temporary contracts. In February 2018, Daedalic opened a third studio, this time in Munich under the name Daedalic Entertainment Bavaria. The new studio would consists of eight people, led by Oliver Machek, formerly of Klonk Games, as studio director and creative director, and by Stephan Harms, chief operating officer of Daedalic, as CEO. In August 2018, as Bastei Lübbe faced severe financial issues, and started considering to sell their 51% stake in Daedalic.
- Edna & Harvey series
- The Whispered World series
- Ravensburger Puzzle series
- Ravensburger Puzzle (2010)
- Ravensburger Puzzle 2 (2011)
- The Chronicles of Shakespeare series
- The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet (2010)
- The Chronicles of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night's Dream (2011)
- Deponia series
- The Dark Eye series
- 1½ Knights: In Search of the Ravishing Princess Herzelinde (2008)
- The Tudors (2009)
- Wolfgang Hohlbein: The Inquisitor (2009)
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (2010)
- A New Beginning (2010)
- Sinister Affair: Immortal Lovers (2010)
- Winterfest (2010)
- The Skillz (2010)
- Robin Hood: King of the Outlaw (2010)
- Derrick: Death in the Flower Bed (2010)
- Dragon Guardian: The Prophecy (2011)
- Borgia (2011)
- The Night of the Rabbit (2013)
- Journey of a Roach (2013)
- 1954: Alcatraz (2014)
- Fire (2015)
- Anna's Quest (2015)
- Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (2016)
- The Franz Kafka Videogame (2017)
- The Long Journey Home (2017)
- Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth (2017)
- State of Mind (2018)
- Intruders: Hide and Seek (2019)
- Barotrauma (2019)
- Gameswirtschaft (2 July 2018). "Deutschlands größte Spielehersteller 2018". gameswirtschaft.de.
- "Daedalic – Neuer deutscher Spiele-Publisher – Golem.de". www.golem.de.
- "Spielebranche: Bastei Lübbe kauft Mehrheit an Daedalic Entertainment – Golem.de". www.golem.de.
- "Daedalic Entertainment : Bastei Lübbe erwirbt Mehrheitsanteil – 4Players.de". 4Players.
- "Daedalic – Verlagsgruppe Bastei Lübbe übernimmt mehrheitlich Deponia-Entwickler – GameStar". www.gamestar.de. 19 May 2014.
- "Daedalic Entertainment : Studio in Düsseldorf gegründet – 4Players.de". 4Players.
- "Spielentwickler: Daedalic gründet neues Studio – Golem.de". www.golem.de.
- "Daedalic Entertainment – Deponia-Entwickler eröffnet Studio in Düsseldorf – GameStar". www.gamestar.de. 15 July 2014.
- "Spielebranche: Daedalic entlässt Mitarbeiter – Golem.de". www.golem.de.
- Gameswirtschaft (22 November 2016). "Enttäuschende Verkaufszahlen: Daedalic baut Stellen ab". gameswirtschaft.de.
- "Schwierigkeiten bei Daedalic – Hamburger Publisher baut Stellen ab – GameStar". www.gamestar.de. 22 November 2016.
- Gameswirtschaft (14 February 2018). "Daedalic Entertainment Bavaria: München wird dritter Daedalic-Standort". gameswirtschaft.de.
- "Daedalic – Neues Studio in München eröffnet – GameStar". www.gamestar.de. 14 February 2018.
- Gameswirtschaft (14 August 2018). "Bastei Lübbe AG: Daedalic Entertainment auf dem Prüfstand (Update)". gameswirtschaft.de.
- "Collaboration with Daedalic Entertainment". barotraumagame.com. 28 February 2019.