|This article does not cite any references (sources). (August 2008)|
|Daejang / Taejang|
Daejang or taejang (Korean: 대장; Hanja: 大將) is a senior military rank of the Korean Peninsula, used by both North and South Korea. It is considered the combined equivalent of a general and admiral in other nations. The rank of daejang is sometimes spelled as taejang, depending on the transliteration system used (taejang in McCune–Reischauer, daejang in official ROK transliteration system).
Daejang is senior to North Korea's three other general/admiral ranks: sojang (major general/rear admiral), jungjang (lieutenant general/vice admiral), sangjang (colonel general/admiral). North Korean generals and admirals wear one to four stars.
The insignia for Daejang is based upon the former Soviet Union military rank insignia (before 1974) for Generals of the Army and modern Generals of the Army of Russia, and in the naval versions, the Soviet (before 1974) and Russian (after 1994) rank insignias for Admirals of the Fleet. It is also the highest rank which is effectively held by the professional military, since the higher ranks are normally seen more as combined military-political titles.
Daejang is senior to South Korea's three other general and admiral ranks: Chunjang (brigadier general / rear admiral (lower half) and formerly commodore and commodore admiral), sojang (major general / rear admiral (upper half) or rear admiral previously) and jungjang (lieutenant general / vice admiral). South Korean generals wear one to four stars as a badge of rank.
- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff & Chief Director of the Joint Defense Headquarters
- Chief of Staff of the Republic of Korea Army
- Chief of Naval Operations of the Republic of Korea Navy
- Chief of Staff of the Republic of Korea Air Force
- Deputy Commander, Republic of Korea - United States Combined Forces Command (ROKUSCFC) & Commanding General, Ground Component Command, ROKUSCFC
- Commanding General, First ROK Army
- Commanding General, Army Second Operations Command
- Commanding General, Third ROK Army
- Deputy Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (optional 4-stars position)