|Industry||Ship building, ship conversion and repair|
|Products||Vessels, Bulk carriers, Container ships, PCTC|
|Revenue||US$ 700 mln (2008)|
|US$ 35 mln (2008)|
Number of employees
Daewoo Heavy Industries era
In 1997 Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries or DMHI was formed as a joint venture between South Korean company Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering and the 2 Mai Shipyard in Mangalia. Since it was founded the company built over 127 new ships and repaired around 300 ships.
The shipyard is spread over an area of 980,000 m2 (10,500,000 sq ft), has three dry docks with a total length of 982 m (3,222 ft) and 1.6 km (0.99 mi) of berths. In 2002 the company delivered two tankers of 42,500 DWT to the Norwegian company Kleven Floro used for the transportation of orange juice. One of the main customers of the shipyard is the German company Hamburg Süd which ordered six container ships of around 6,000 TEU each, and seven ships of 7,100 TEU each as well as four tugboats. The company also signed in 2005 an agreement with Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A., NSB Niederelbe, Gebab and Conti Reederei companies for the construction of 12 container ships of around 5,000 TEU each that will be delivered in stages until 2011 at a total cost of US$1.1 billion.
In 2008 the shipyard bought the largest gantry crane in North America, the Goliath Crane, formerly located in Quincy, Massachusetts from the General Dynamics company. Built in 1975, the crane, nicknamed Goliath, Big Blue, The Dog or Horse, has a height of 100 m (330 ft), a span of 126 m (413 ft), a weight of 3,000 t (6,600,000 lb) and a lifting capacity of 1,200 t (2,600,000 lb). The cranes's re-assembly has been under way since March 2009.
- "Daewoo Mangalia Heavy Industries estimeaza" (in Romanian). Financiarul. 2008-05-30. Archived from the original on 2008-05-31. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries". Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Message". Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "GENERAL LAYOUT & MAIN FACILITIES". Daewoo-Mangalia Heavy Industries. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Santierul naval Daewoo Mangalia livreaza Norvegiei al doilea tanc de 42.500 tdw" (in Romanian). Adevarul. 2002-11-02. Archived from the original on 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "DMHI a livrat portcontainerul de 4.860 TEU, MSC Monterey" (in Romanian). Cuget Liber. 2008-09-05. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Progress in Romania". Sackrabbit. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Technical Specifications". Sackrabbit. 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.