Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering
"Big Blue" statue, Jongno-gu, 2015
|Traded as||KRX: 042660|
|Founded||23 October 2000|
|Headquarters||Geoje, South Gyeongsang, South Korea, South Korea|
Number of locations
|3: Okpo, Houston, London|
|Sung Leep Jung,
President, CEO, and Director
|Products||FPSO, Semi-submersible, Drillship, Passenger, LNG/LPG, VLGC/VLCC, LNG-RV(regasification vessels), offshore structures. etc, and Naval ships|
|Revenue||US$ 12.76 billion (2015)|
|US$ (2.50) billion (2015) |
|US$ (2.72) billion (2015) |
|Total assets||US$ 16.21 billion (2015) |
|Total equity||US$ 635 million (2015) |
Number of employees
|13,458 (March 31, 2014)|
On 21 February 2011, the A. P. Moller-Maersk Group (Maersk) ordered 10 large container ships from DSME, each with a capacity of 18,000 containers, surpassing the then record holder; the Mærsk E-class at 15,200 containers. The contract is worth $1.9bn. The first is to be delivered in 2014. In June 2011, Maersk ordered ten more, for another $1.9bn. The new class is called the Triple E class.
On December 20, 2011 Daewoo Shipbuilding Marine Engineering won the largest single defense contract by a Korean firm; valued at $1.07 billion to build three Indonesian submarines. It also would mark the first exports of submarines from South Korea.
On 22 February 2012, a £452 million order was placed with DSME for four 37,000 tonne double hulled 'MARS' fast fleet tankers by Britain's Ministry of Defence for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. The ships will enter service in 2016.
The South Korean Board of Audit and Inspection found 1.5 trillion won (approximately US$1.27 billion) of accounting fraud in DSME's books on 15 June 2016. In July, 2016, shares in DSME were suspended from trading, and were announced to be suspended until at least September 28, 2017. After suffering losses of Won3.3tn in 2015 and Won2.7tn in 2016, it was given a Won2.9tn (US$2.6bn) government loan in March 2017 to prevent bankruptcy.
- "Financials Information for Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co., Ltd". Hoover's Inc,.
- Emma Mærsk Archived 2009-03-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Triple-E Class Container Ships". ship-technology.com. Retrieved 2014-10-10.
- "RI orders 3 submarines worth $1b in regional 'catch-up'". December 22, 2011.
- "DSME to Build Three Submarines for Indonesia". October 10, 2011.
- "South Korea wins Royal Navy tanker deal worth £452m". BBC News. 22 February 2012.
- "Watchdog finds 1.5 tln in accounting fraud in Daewoo Shipbuilding". Yonhap News Agency. 15 June 2016. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- Kyunghee Park (29 September 2016). "Daewoo Shipbuilding Told by Exchange to Improve Financials". Bloomberg.
- Youkyung Lee (23 March 2017). "South Korea to inject $2.6 bln into ailing shipyard Daewoo". SFGate.
|This article related to a manufacturing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|