||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Editor||Kolbrún Bergþórsdóttir, Sigurvin Ólafsson, Kristjón Kormákur Guðjónsson|
DV (Dagblaðið Vísir) is a tabloid newspaper in Iceland published by DV ehf. It came into existence in 1981 when two formerly independent newspapers, Vísir and Dagblaðið, merged. DV also has an online publication at DV.is.
The paper has changed dramatically since its inception. Today it is published three times a week and focuses mainly on sensational crime stories, astrology, and domestic and foreign celebrity news. Its editorial policy has sparked public controversies in Iceland.
Report of the Special Investigation Commission
In the report of the Special Investigation Commission that was formed by Alþingi, DV was specially noted as almost the only newspaper in Iceland that questioned the Icelandic banks. As a result, the paper acquired broader readership.
In January 2006, DV ran a cover story claiming that former elementary school teacher Gísli Hjartarson had sexually abused two or more boys in his home town of Ísafjörður, Northwest Iceland. Hjartarson, who had not been charged with the abuse, committed suicide the same day and cited the coming news coverage as his reason in a letter he left for his family, although he did not name DV specifically.
This tragedy caused popular uproar against DV with 30 thousand people (about 10% of the Icelandic population) signing an online petition demanding a new editorial policy. The editors were forced to resign.
On 4 June 2008, DV reported that The State Committee of Compensations had paid compensation to two boys in this case.
- "Find it at Stanford (SFX Services)". Sul-sfx.stanford.edu. 1980-09-27. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- "Öllum sagt upp í Blaðaprenti". Morgunblaðið. 1981-11-29. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Sameinað og stærra blað á markaðin". Dagblaðið Vísir. 1981-11-26. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Rannsóknarnefnd Alþingis (2010-04-10). "Aðdragandi og orsakir falls íslensku bankanna 2008 og tengdir atburðir" (PDF). Althing. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Heimakennari kærður fyrir að nauðga piltum". Dagblaðið Vísir. 2006-01-10. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Strákarnir í Ísafjarðarmálinu stíga fram: "Það snérist allt um helvítis DV og aumingja maðurinn"". Vísir.is. 2013-01-22. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Nefndi ekki DV sem ástæðu". Dagblaðið Vísir. 2006-01-13. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Erla Hlynsdóttir (2008-06-04). "Kynferðisbrotin teljast óupplýst". Dagblaðið Vísir. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
|This Icelandic newspaper–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|