Jones with the Indiana Pacers
|Small forward / Shooting guard|
December 27, 1980 |
Trenton, New Jersey
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (198 cm)|
|Listed weight||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school||Steinert (Hamilton, New Jersey)|
|NBA draft||2003 / Round: 1 / Pick: 20th overall|
|Selected by the Boston Celtics|
|Pro playing career||2003–present|
|2008||Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)|
|Competitor for United States|
|FIBA U21 World Championship|
|Gold||2001 Saitama||National team|
Dahntay Lavall Jones (born December 27, 1980) is an American professional basketball player.
Originally a student at Rutgers University, Jones transferred to Duke University. He was selected by the Boston Celtics in the first round (20th overall) of the 2003 NBA Draft, and his rights were later traded, along with the rights to Troy Bell, to the Grizzlies for the rights to Kendrick Perkins and Marcus Banks. Jones played his first four professional seasons for the Grizzlies, averaging 5.0 points per game.
Jones grew up in Hamilton Square, New Jersey. and starred in Steinert High School in Hamilton Township, Mercer County from 1995-1998. He averaged 24 points and 9 rebounds as a senior and was named as a McDonald's All-America honorable mention.
Even though Jones enjoyed a career season in 2007, no team signed him until on September 26, 2007, Jones signed a non-guaranteed contract with the Boston Celtics, but was later waived by the team on October 25, 2007.
Jones was signed by the Sacramento Kings on December 10, 2007. He was waived on February 16, 2008. Jones signed with the Denver Nuggets in July 2008 for the 2008–09 season. During his stay with the Nuggets, Jones honed his skills and eventually earned a starting position for 72 games. He played on a Denver Nuggets team that reached the Western Conference finals of 2009. On July 14, 2009 Jones signed a contract with the Indiana Pacers. He was traded to the Dallas Mavericks on July 12, 2012. On February 21, 2013, he was traded to the Atlanta Hawks for Anthony Morrow.
- June 26, 2003: Drafted 20th overall by Boston Celtics in 2003 NBA Draft.
- June 26, 2003: Traded by Boston along with draft rights of 16th pick Troy Bell to the Memphis Grizzlies for draft rights of 13th pick Marcus Banks and 27th pick Kendrick Perkins.
- September 26, 2007: Signed as a free agent by Boston.
- October 25, 2007: Waived by Boston.
- December 10, 2007: Signed as a free agent by Sacramento Kings.
- February 16, 2008: Waived by Sacramento.
- March 21, 2008: Signed as a free agent by D-League's Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
- July 30, 2008: Signed as a free agent by Denver Nuggets.
- July 14, 2009: Signed as a free agent by the Indiana Pacers to a 4-year contract
- July 12, 2012: Traded with Darren Collison to the Dallas Mavericks for Ian Mahinmi
- February 21, 2013: Traded to the Atlanta Hawks for Anthony Morrow
- September 27, 2013: Signed by Chicago Bulls
- October 8, 2013: Waived by Chicago Bulls
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Battista, Judy. "COLLEGE BASKETBALL; Rutgers Could Have a Post-Season With Meaning", The New York Times, February 21, 1999. Accessed December 12, 2007. "With his first full recruiting class, one of the best in the Big East, Bannon got Dahntay Jones, a guard from Hamilton Square, N.J., and Rashod Kent, a forward from West Virginia."
- Smith, Timothy W. "COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Starting Over In New Jersey; New Coaches at Seton Hall and Rutgers Rebuild", The New York Times, October 22, 2007. Accessed December 12, 2007. "Bannon's efforts were rewarded recently when Dahntay Jones of Steinert High School in Hamilton Township, N.J., a top-rated 6-foot-5-inch shooting guard, orally committed to Rutgers."
- Peter May, Camp Roster Set, The Boston Globe
- Gary Dzen, C's waive Jones, Manuel, The Boston Globe
- Sacramento Kings - Kings sign former Grizzlie - sacbee.com
- Nuggets Sign Dahntay Jones
- It's Official: Pacers Trade Mahinmi for Collison, Jones
- ATLANTA HAWKS ACQUIRE DAHNTAY JONES FROM DALLAS AND JEREMY TYLER FROM GOLDEN STATE
- Patrick Christopher, Mike James, Dahntay Jones, Kalin Lucas, Dexter Pittman and D.J. White in Bulls training camp
- Chicago Bulls waive Dahntay Jones
- Chat: Chat with Al Harrington - SportsNation - ESPN
- Grizzlies Trade Draft Rights to 13th & 27th Overall Selections to the Celtics for BC’s Troy Bell and Duke’s Dahntay Jones
- Celtics Waive Jones, Manuel
- Kings Sign Guard/Forward Dahntay Jones
- Kings Acquire Four Players and a Second Round Draft Pick from Atlanta in Exchange for Mike Bibby
- Mad Ants Make Roster Change
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dahntay Jones.|
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- College stats at sportsstats.com