Dahr Jamail (born 1968) is an American journalist who was one of the few unembedded journalists to report extensively from Iraq during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. He spent eight months in Iraq, between 2003 and 2005, and presented his stories on his website, entitled "Dahr Jamail's MidEast Dispatches." Jamail has been a reporter for Truthout and has also written for Al Jazeera. He has been a frequent guest on Democracy Now!, and is the recipient of the 2008 Martha Gellhorn Prize for Journalism. In 2018, the Izzy Award of the Park Center for Independent Media was awarded to Jamail, and shared by investigative reporters Lee Fang, Sharon Lerner, and author Todd Miller.
Jamail is a fourth-generation Lebanese American, who was born and raised in Houston, Texas. He graduated from Texas A&M University and later moved to Alaska. In October 2007, his first book, Beyond the Green Zone, was published by Haymarket Books. Jamail embarked on a national speaking tour the same month that the book was released, first in New York City, where he and journalist Jeremy Scahill discussed the Afghan and Iraq wars.
Jamail's second book, The Will to Resist: Soldiers Who Refuse to Fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, was published in 2009.
Dahr Jamail writes for Truthout about climate change issues. In January 2019, he published the book, The End of Ice: Bearing Witness and Finding Meaning in the Path of Climate Disruption, about his mountaineering adventures where he witnessed glaciers melting, expressing despair at the future catastrophe of global warming.
- Jamail, Dahr (October 2007). Beyond the Green Zone; Dispatches from an Unembedded Journalist in Occupied Iraq (Hardcover ed.). Haymarket Books. ISBN 9781931859479. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Jamail, Dahr (July 2009). The Will to Resist; Soldiers Who Refuse to Fight in Iraq and Afghanistan (Hardcover ed.). Haymarket Books. ISBN 9781931859882. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Pitt, William Rivers; Jamail, Dahr (2014). The Mass Destruction of Iraq; The Disintegration of a Nation: Why It Is Happening, and Who Is Responsible. Truthout.
- Jamail, Dahr (2019). The End of Ice (Hardcover ed.). New York: The New Press. ISBN 9781620972342. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "Dahr Jamail". Truthout. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "Dahr Jamail". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- Caitlin Fitzsimmons, "Reporters share Gellhorn prize", The Guardian, 19 May 2008.
- Izzy Award to be Shared by Investigative Journalists Lee Fang, Sharon Lerner, Dahr Jamail and Todd Miller, Ithaca College, David Maley, March 13, 2018. Retrieved May 1, 2019.
- "Dahr Jamail's Weblog: BOOK RELEASE AND NATIONAL TOUR LAUNCH". Archived from the original on 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2007-10-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dahr Jamail.|