|Look up 第一 in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
This article appears to be a dictionary definition.
dai-ichi (第一), is a compound modifier phrase of Japanese origin, meaning number one, or first. In kanji, "dai" ("number") is 第 and "ichi" ("one") is 一. "Dai" is also defined "ordinal number marker." It is this feature that makes the phrase a modifier, or an adjective, describing a noun, as first. Number one functions in the same way.
The phrase is also written without the hyphen, as daiichi.
Dai-ichi is frequently used in proper names, hence capitalized; also Dai-Ichi and occasionally Dai Ichi. There is a sound-alike common first name with different spelling.
- Uses include but are not limited to:
- Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant (or Fukushima Dai-ichi), a.k.a. Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant, (福島第一原子力発電所) (dai and ichi are the third and fourth characters) – a six-unit nuclear plant complex struck in the March 11, 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami
- Dai-ichi Life Insurance Co – the third largest life insurer in Japan by revenues
- Dai Ichi Daihoumaru Ship case – a 1952 incident between the South Korean Coast Guard and the Japanese Dai Ichi Daihoumaru ship
- Dai-Ichi Kangyō Bank – was one of the largest banks in the world during the latter half of the 20th century
- Dai-ichi KōKū Kantai (第一航空艦隊) (dai and ichi are the first and second characters) – 1st Air Fleet of the Imperial Japanese Navy; amongst a number of military-unit names incorporating the phrase
- Dai-ichi Hōsō – The 1st Broadcast (第1放送) (dai is first character; ichi is the numeral "1" instead of 一) on Radio Nikkei carries general programs and horse racing from eastern Japan (hōsō; click link to edit listing)
- Dai-Ichi-dōri Station – a commuter station in downtown Hamamatsu city (dōri)
- Morioka Dai-ichi High School, a.k.a. Morioka First High School – is a public, coeducational, university preparatory high school in Morioka city, Iwate, Japan
- Daiichi Sankyo (第一三共株式会社) (Dai and ichi are the first and second characters) – a Japan-based major pharmaceutical company
- Daiichi Institute of Technology – a private university in Kirishima, Kagoshima, Japan
- Dai-ichi was the name of a professional Go tournament 1959–75
- Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Plant, a.k.a. Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant, (福島第二原子力発電所) (dai and ni are the third and fourth characters), Fukushima Dai-Ni Genshiryoku Hatsudensho, Fukushima II NPP, 2F or "Fukushima Daini" – a four-unit nuclear plant complex seven miles south of the Dai-Ichi plants and also struck in the March 11, 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami
- Radio Nikkei's 2nd Broadcast (第2放送) (dai is first character; ni is the numeral "2" instead of 二) (Dai-ni Hōsō) carries live company stock price announcement and horse racing from western Japan; Radio Nikkei is Japan's domestic shortwave commercial radio broadcasting station
Dai-san (第三) means number three or third, using three parallel bars (三) or "3" for "san"
And continuing for 4, 5, 6, etc.
- Hobart-Hampden, Ernest Miles and Sir Harold George Parlett, eds., An English-Japanese dictionary of the spoken language, via Google Books. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- Nakao, Seigo, Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary, via Google Books, p. 39. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- Nakao, Seigo, Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary, via Google Books, p. 95. Retrieved 2011-03-18.