The DailyER, formerly titled The Dailyer Nebraskan and The DailyER Nebraskan (often referred to as The DER), established in 2008, is a satirical newspaper produced biweekly during the fall and spring semester at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Although The DailyER has a similar name and is also university-funded, it is not affiliated with UNL's official newspaper, The Daily Nebraskan. The current editor-in-chief is Drew Preston.
The paper was started by Carson Vaughan, who also served as its first editor. The paper's fight and eventual victory in becoming a UNL-sanctioned newspaper created much fanfare within the Lincoln community. Other editors for The DailyER have included John Rincon, Jacob Zlomke, and Mitch McCann.
The paper contains fake news stories ranging from local and campus issues, to national and international issues. The DailyER contains political, economic, social and sports stories. It also contains a serious entertainment section titled Seeds Entertainment, much like The Onion with The A.V. Club. The editors of The DailyER keep in contact with The Onion editors, using them to aid in finding sources for stories. Vaughan began contact with the staff of The Onion after a summer internship with them.
One complaint about the newspaper came about from an early article that contained the prophets Mohammad and Jesus fighting for scripture sales. The Muslim student organization of UNL complained about the article to University officials. The DailyER also frequently publishes controversial content regarding suspect University policies such as the Board of Regent's budget cuts and University firings. It also publishes many controversial articles about the University of Nebraska - Lincoln's athletics department, particularly Nebraska Cornhuskers head football coach Bo Pelini. The DailyER was nearly shut down by University Publications officials when a satirical article was published lampooning former Defensive Coordinator Carl Pelini as having an alleged affair. The article has since been removed from The DailyER archives.
- "Lincoln lexicon - A glossary of local terms to help with everyday chatter". Lincoln Journal Star. Lincoln, Nebraska: Lee Enterprises. 19 August 2009. pp. E22.
- Routh, Larry (25 July 2009). "Back-to-School: Put Experience, Networking to Work Finding Jobs, Internships". US Fed News. HT Media Ltd.
- "UNL students working to start satire newspaper". Journalstar.com. 2007-12-03. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- Mertes, Micah (17 August 2009). "Omaha concert to benefit UNL's DailyER Nebraskan". Lincoln Journal Star. Lincoln, Nebraska: Lee Enterprises. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Students aim to put comic spin on news in new publication". Daily Nebraskan. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- Mertes, Micah (28 April 2009). "The mystic art of being funny - UNL's Carson Vaughan gains fake news experience but now is off to write real news at Variety". Lincoln Journal Star. Lincoln, Nebraska: Lee Enterprises. pp. C1.
- "Editor's Note (3/4/2008)". The Dailyer Nebraskan. Archived from the original on February 28, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- "Board of Regents Blows Off Steam in Emptied Classics Department". The Dailyer Nebraskan. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- "I Can't Wait to Parlay This Move to the Big Ten Into a Job at Ohio State by Bo Pelini". The Dailyer Nebraskan. Archived from the original on September 18, 2010. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- "Because Screw You, That's Why by Bo Pelini". The Dailyer Nebraskan. Retrieved 2012-12-02.