A Daim wrapper and a split Daim bar
|Owner||Mondelez International (2012)|
|Related brands||List of Kraft brands|
Daim was created by Marabou in Sweden in the 1950s. Marabou originally wanted to produce a version of the American Heath Co.'s bar; its vice president Lars Anderfelt inquired about licensing Heath's exact recipe. The Heath Co. refused but gave Anderfeldt a list of their ingredients. From this, Marabou created their own recipe, testing it in Stockholm in 1952 with great success. It was launched under the name Dajm throughout Sweden and Norway the next year, Finland in 1963, and Denmark in 1971. It was renamed "Daim" in most countries in 1990, although it continued to be marketed in the United Kingdom and Ireland as Dime. The brand was purchased by the American company Kraft Foods in 1993 and is now held by Mondelez International, which Kraft spun off in 2012.
A famous 1995 television commercial (directed by John Lloyd) for the chocolate bar in the United Kingdom featured the comedian Harry Enfield, in which a salesman describes the Dime bar as "smooth on the outside, crunchy on the inside", while a customer says he prefers armadillos, which are "smooth on the inside, crunchy on the outside." In 2005, the spelling in the UK and Ireland was changed to "Daim", in line with the rest of the world.
In 2007, a 'Limited Edition Cappucino' Daim bar was released. A limited edition forest fruit bar has also been released, as well as Coke Daim, white chocolate Daim, dark chocolate Daim, blueberry Daim, lemon-orange Daim and mint Daim. Daim bars imported from Sweden (manufactured in Upplands Väsby) have been sold in many countries.
- "Varumärken - M". Mondelez Int'l. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "About Mondelēz International Sweden". Mondelez Int'l Sweden. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "John Lloyd: the brain behind QI". www.newstatesman.com.
- "Great Ads You Might Have Forgotten About!: Dime bar… Armadillos!!!". 13 June 2011.
- "38 classic TV ads that defined the 1990s". 10 October 2016.
- "Diam bars and Dime bars (Armadillos, smooth on the inside) - YerTiz". 31 December 2016.
- "UK Dime chocolate to become Daim, in line with Europe".
- Daim bar at Marabou's website (in Swedish)
|This confectionery-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|