Bertāns with Olimpia Milano in 2017
|No. 9 – Olimpia Milano|
|Born||September 9, 1989|
Valmiera, Latvian SSR, USSR
|Listed height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Listed weight||200 lb (91 kg)|
|NBA draft||2011 / Undrafted|
|Career highlights and awards|
Dairis Bertāns (born September 9, 1989) is a Latvian professional basketball player for Olimpia Milano of the Italian Lega Basket Serie A (LBA) and the EuroLeague. He also plays for the Latvia national basketball team.
From 2004 to 2006, Bertāns played for Valmiera and its junior team. In 2006, he signed with ASK Rīga. In 2006–07, he played for ASK Rīga's junior team, and in 2007–08, made his debut for the senior squad.
In August 2010, he signed a two-year deal with VEF Rīga. VEF Rīga's coach at the time, Rimas Kurtinaitis, saw potential in Bertāns as a point guard despite primarily being a shooting guard. So, during the 2010–11 season, Bertāns developed point guard skills to a different level, and was one of the key factors in VEF Rīga's first championship.
In July 2012, he re-signed with VEF Rīga on a three-year deal.
In June 2013, he parted ways with VEF Rīga and signed a three-year deal with Bilbao Basket of the Liga ACB. In one of his first games with Bilbao he scored 19 points in a preseason game against Philadelphia 76ers.
National team career
Bertāns has been member of the Latvian U-16, U-18 and U-20 national teams, as well as the senior national team. He led Latvia to a bronze medal at the 2007 U18 European Championship in Madrid, Spain. He has since represented the Latvia national team at the 2010 FIBA World Championship and the EuroBasket 2011. He was also the leading scorer (14.1ppg) for Latvia in 2012, when he helped Latvia earn a spot in EuroBasket 2013.
|Tournament||Games played||Points per game||Rebounds per game||Assists per game|
Bertāns' brother, Dāvis, is also a professional basketball player. Their father, Dainis, was a professional basketball player and is currently a youth coach. Their mother is a sports teacher and a former high-level rower.
- Noviks, Māris (August 29, 2010). "Cīņa par ceturto vietu un papildu kvalifikāciju". SportaCentrs.com (in Latvian). Retrieved August 29, 2010.
- Hot day in Latvia
- VEF Riga announce Valters, Grafs and Bertans
- VEF Riga keeps Dairis Bertans
- Bilbao signs Dairis Bertans to a three-year deal
- 76ers 106, Bilbao Basket 104
- "Celtics Announce 2014 Orlando Summer League Roster". NBA.com. July 1, 2014. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Darussafaka Dogus lands Dairis Bertans". Sportando.com. July 13, 2016. Retrieved July 16, 2016.
- "OLIMPIA ADDS THREE-POINT SHOOTER DAIRIS BERTANS". Olimpiamilano.com. 10 July 2017. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- "Olimpia Milano keeps Dairis Bertans". sportando.basketball. 29 June 2018. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "Dairis Bertans (Latvia)". FIBA.com. Archived from the original on July 11, 2014. Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- France - Latvia