Daisy (1988 film)
|Directed by||Prathap K. Pothan|
|Produced by||Babu for Thomsun Films|
|Written by||Prathap K. Pothan
|Edited by||B. Lenin
V. T. Vijayan
Daisy is a 1988 Malayalam musical-romance film depicting separation and longing set in a boarding school, written and directed by Prathap K. Pothan. It stars Harish and Sonia in the lead roles, Lakshmi in a pivotal role, and Kamal Hassan in an extended guest appearance. The screenplay was written by Prathap Pothan and the dialogues were written by Khalid.
Pradeep Menon is a troubled teenager who studies in a Boarding school in Ooty in the Nilgiris. He is regarded as a trouble-maker and is often punished by his teachers and headmaster, often severely. When beautiful Daisy Thomas joins the school, he makes fun of her on the first day, thus beginning a series of misadventures that result in more punishment for him. This brings him close to Daisy, and they are attracted to each other.
Daisy understands why Pradeep is so aggressive and offers him considerable support. She is shocked to see how rude he is toward his mother, Malathi Menon, but is unable to do anything about it. She later learns the reason behind his hatred was that his mother had decided to re-marry after his father's death and had started spending less time with him.
Things improve considerably when Malati is confined in a hospital and Pradeep goes to visit her, thereby improving their relationship. Pradeep starts to respond positively to Daisy's support and is all set to turn a new leaf. Then Pradeep's world is turned upside down when he witnesses Daisy in the arms of James — a complete stranger. Shocked at this, Pradeep regresses to his self-destructive phase, alienating himself from everyone. He later learns that James is her older brother and that she is a terminally ill patient. Things go bad when his mother dies and he loses Daisy as well. The movie ends with him finding solace in James.
- Harish Kumar as Pradeep Menon
- Sonia as Daisy Thomas
- Lakshmi as Malathi Menon
- Nedumudi Venu
- Lalu Alex
- Thesni Khan
- Kamal Hassan as James (Special appearance)
- Subbu Panchu Arunachalam as Thomas
- Daisy was one of the highest grossing Malayalam films of 1988.
- The film is mainly centralized on teenagers; it took nine years in Malayalam cinema to overcome this record with teens, which is Aniyathipravu.
- Kamal Hassan played an extended cameo.
- The film was dubbed in Hindi as Daisy produced by Mani Nair and had an official audio launch as well.
|Soundtrack album by Shyam|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||Ormathan Vasantha...||K. J. Yesudas||P. Bhaskaran|
|2||Pookale...||K. S. Chithra|
|3||Rapadithan...||K. S. Chithra|
|5||Laalanam...||K. J. Yesudas|
- "Daisy (1988)- Movie Details". malayalachalachithram. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- "O janeman janejigar daisy 1988 hindi musical love st". youtube. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Do Paanche Udthe-Hindi Version of Daisy". youtube. Retrieved 2014-03-31.