Daisy Milano Gold Mine
Daisy Milano entrance
|Company||Silver Lake Resources|
|Website||Silver Lake website|
|Year of acquisition||November 2007|
It is currently owned by Silver Lake Resources. Silver Lake reopened the mine in December 2007. Daisy Milano's ore is processed in the Silver Lake-owned Lakewood gold processing facility, which is located 5 km south east of Kalgoorlie and capable of processing 300,000 tonnes per annum. Silver Lake purchased the facility in November 2007 for A$2.4 million.
While in relatively close proximity to Kalgoorlie, the Mount Monger goldfield had seen no systematic exploration approach in the past. Mining had been carried out in the area from the early 1900s, mostly by small mining company's, gold having been found there in 1896. Approximately 400,000 ounces have been mined in the Mount Monger area, with old workings in the area reaching a depth of 80 metres.
The current Daisy Milano mine has been in operation since 1990. Originally it was an underground operation, with a shaft haulage system, but, under the ownership of Ridgeview Nominees Pty Limited, a decline was established in 2001. In May 2002, an underground miner was killed at the facility, having been found unconscious on an underground access road, next to an open electrical switch box.
The mine was placed in care and maintenance in March 2007 by then-owner Perilya Limited, with the intention of selling it. Perilya themselves had purchased the operations in January 2005 for A$3.2 million, but suffered from a lack of own production facilities, having to cart its ore long distances to other company’s plants, such as Harmony’s Jubilee or Coolgardie, 100 km away from the mine.
Mining at Daisy Milano resumed in December 2007 and the first gold pour was carried out in April 2008. In the June quarter of 2009, Silver Lake also carried out open pit mining 1 km north of the underground operation, at Christmas Flat.
Production of the mine:
|Year||Production||Grade||Cost per ounce|
|2000 ||5,551 ounces||7.1 g/t||US$201|
|2001 ||6,468 ounces||6.0 g/t||US$234|
|2004-05 ||4,827 ounces||7.96 g/t|
|2005-06 ||25,573 ounces||7.5 g/t||A$596|
|2006-07 ||24,779 ounces||8.8 g/t||A$590|
|2007-08||5,808 ounces||10.2 g/t||A$|
|2008-09 ||49,272 ounces||9.4 g/t||A$780|
|2009-10 ||66,671 ounces||6.1 g/t|
- The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, Louthean Media Pty Ltd, Editor: Ross Louthean
- Western Australian Mineral and Petroleum Statistics Digest 2008 Page 34: Principal Mineral and Petroleum Producers - Gold
- New mining approaches lead to success The Australian Mining Review - Article on the Daisy Milano mine
- Silver Lake website - Daisy Milano operation accessed: 6 September 2009
- Silver Lake website - Key facts accessed: 6 September 2009
- Mount Monger Gold Project Integra Mining website, accessed: 6 September 2009
- Silver Lake website - Mount Monger accessed: 6 September 2009
- The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, page: 113
- Print Inquiry continues into miner's death ABC News, published: 31 May 2002, accessed: 8 September 2009
- Silver Lake Brings Daisy Milano Back Into Production Silver Lake ASX announcement, published: 10 December 2007, accessed: 6 September 2009
- SUSPENSION OF DAISY MILANO EXTRACTIVE OPERATIONS Perilya Limited ASX announcement, published: 8 March 2007, accessed: 6 September 2009
- Perilya Limited website - History accessed: 6 September 2009
- New mining approaches lead to success The Australian Mining Review, accessed: 6 September 2009
- Silver Lake website - Company overview accessed: 6 September 2009
- Silver Lake quarterly report December 2007 accessed: 6 September 2009
- Completed Sale of Gold Assets Perilya Limited ASX announcement, published: 14 November 2007, accessed: 6 September 2009
- Silver Lake quarterly report June 2009 accessed: 6 September 2009
- Perilya quarterly report June 2005 accessed: 6 September 2009
- Perilya quarterly report June 2007 accessed: 6 September 2009
- Silver Lake quarterly report June 2010 published: 30 July 2010, accessed: 30 July 2010