Moreton Bay, Queensland
|Population||1,447 (2011 census)|
|Location||26 km (16 mi) from Brisbane central business district|
|LGA(s)||Moreton Bay Region|
Dakabin is a locality in Moreton Bay Region, Queensland, Australia. It is 26 kilometres (16 mi) north of Brisbane CBD. The origin of the suburb name is from the Yugarabul Aboriginal language meaning grass tree or grass root. The western boundary is aligned with the North Coast railway line while the eastern boundary follows the Bruce Highway.
Alma Park Zoo was a tourist attraction in Dakabin, it is a 20-acre (8.1 ha) park which contains Australian and exotic species as well as tropical gardens. The Zoo relocated to The Big Pineapple on 31 March 2014. The Lakeside International Raceway is a motor racing located close to Dakabin in Kurwongbah.
In the 2011 census, Dakabin recorded a population of 1,447 people, 50.3% female and 49.7% male. The median age of the Dakabin population was 33 years, 4 years below the national median of 37. 78.5% of people living in Dakabin were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 4.9%, England 4.7%, South Africa 1.5%, Scotland 0.9%, United States of America 0.8%. 92.9% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 0.6% Auslan, 0.6% Sinhalese, 0.4% Malayalam, 0.3% Russian, 0.3% Hindi.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Dakabin (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Dakabin (entry 45386)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Moreton Bay Regional Council. "Dakabin - Kallangur". Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- "Bob Brock Park". Moreton Bay Regional Council. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Dakabin
- Lakeside International Raceway
- Dakabin Station Action Group Website