Moreton Bay, Queensland
|Population||1,447 (2011 census)|
|Location||26 km (16 mi) from Brisbane central business district|
|LGA(s)||Moreton Bay Region|
Dakabin is a locality in Moreton Bay Region, Queensland, Australia. It is 26 kilometres (16 mi) north of Brisbane CBD. The origin of the suburb name is from the Yugarabul Aboriginal language meaning grass tree or grass root.
Alma Park Zoo was a tourist attraction in Dakabin, it is a 20-acre (8.1 ha) park which contains Australian and exotic species as well as tropical gardens. The Zoo relocated to The Big Pineapple on 31 March 2014. The Lakeside International Raceway is a motor racing circuit also located in Dakabin near Lake Kurwongbah.
In the 2011 Census the population of Dakabin is 1,447, 50.3% female and 49.7% male. The median/average age of the Dakabin population is 33 years of age, 4 years below the Australian average. 78.5% of people living in Dakabin were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 4.9%, England 4.7%, South Africa 1.5%, Scotland 0.9%, United States of America 0.8%. 92.9% of people speak English as their first language 0.6% Auslan, 0.6% Sinhalese, 0.4% Malayalam, 0.3% Russian, 0.3% Hindi.
- North Pine United Soccer Club play out of Bob Brock Park. They are currently part of the Brisbane Premier League.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Dakabin (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Dakabin (entry 45386)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Moreton Bay Regional Council. "Dakabin - Kallangur". Retrieved 8-12-2011. Check date values in:
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Dakabin
- Alma Park Zoo
- Lakeside International Raceway
- Dakabin Station Action Group Website
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|