Dakota Johnson, 2014
|Born||Dakota Mayi Johnson
October 4, 1989
Austin, Texas, United States
|Relatives||Peter Griffith (grandfather)
Tippi Hedren (grandmother)
Tracy Griffith (half-aunt)
Jesse Johnson (half-brother)
Stella Banderas (half-sister)
Dakota Mayi Johnson (born October 4, 1989) is an American actress and model. She is the daughter of actors Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson. She had her screen debut alongside her mother in the comedy-drama Crazy in Alabama (1999) and was named Miss Golden Globe in 2006. Following high school graduation, she returned to acting with roles in The Social Network (2010), Beastly (2011), 21 Jump Street (2012), Need for Speed (2014) and the short-lived comedy Ben and Kate (2012-2013).
She received international recognition in 2015 after landing the lead role of Anastasia Steele in the romantic drama Fifty Shades of Grey, which catapulted her to fame and earned her the People's Choice Award for Favorite Dramatic Movie Actress. The same year, she gave critically acclaimed performances in Black Mass and A Bigger Splash, which garnered her a BAFTA Rising Star Award nomination. She also starred in the romantic comedy How to Be Single (2016) and will reprise her role as Anastasia Steele in Fifty Shades Darker (2017) and Fifty Shades Freed (2018).
Dakota Mayi Johnson was born on October 4, 1989 in Austin, Texas, to actors Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson. She is the maternal granddaughter of advertising executive and former child actor Peter Griffith and actress Tippi Hedren, and half-niece of actress Tracy Griffith and production designer Clay A. Griffin. Her former stepfather is actor Antonio Banderas. She has six half-siblings; four on her father's side and two on her mother's side.
Johnson attended Aspen Community School in Aspen, Colorado. She later attended the Santa Catalina School in Monterey, California, for her freshman year of high school before transferring to New Roads School in Santa Monica, California. She was an avid dancer as a child. She became interested in modeling at age 12 after a photo shoot with children of other celebrities for Teen Vogue.
In 1999, Johnson made her film debut in Crazy in Alabama where she and her half-sister, Stella Banderas, played daughters to their real-life mother, Melanie Griffith. The film was directed by her then-stepfather, Antonio Banderas. In 2006, she was chosen as Miss Golden Globe 2006, where she served as the first second-generation Miss Golden Globe in the Globes' history.
Once Johnson graduated from high school, she signed with the William Morris Agency and started her acting career. She appeared in the critically acclaimed box office hit The Social Network which was directed by David Fincher. She has also appeared in Beastly, Ezna Sands' film Chloe and Theo, and So Yong Kim's film For Ellen. In 2012, she had roles in Christopher Neil's film Goats, with David Duchovny; Nicholas Stoller's film The Five-Year Engagement for producer Judd Apatow, and the film 21 Jump Street. She also played the female lead in Chris Nelson's film Date and Switch written by Alan Yang.
In March 2012, Johnson was cast as Kate in the Fox comedy series Ben and Kate, marking her television debut. The show was cancelled on January 25, 2013 after one season. Johnson quickly resumed her film career, and appeared in Need for Speed (2014). She also has been cast in the modern-day film adaptation of William Shakespeare's Cymbeline.
In 2013, she had a role as one of the new hires on the "Finale" episode of The Office. Johnson played Anastasia "Ana" Steele in Fifty Shades of Grey, which was released in February 2015. Johnson won the role over Lucy Hale, Felicity Jones, Elizabeth Olsen, Danielle Panabaker and Shailene Woodley. On February 15, 2015, Johnson appeared on Saturday Night Live's 40th anniversary special and hosted SNL on February 28, 2015, making her the second daughter of a former SNL host (after Gwyneth Paltrow, whose mother Blythe Danner hosted during the show's seventh season in 1982) to host herself. Also in 2015, she reunited with her 21 Jump Street cast member Johnny Depp, playing the mother of his character's child in the feature film Black Mass.
In 2015, Johnson starred in Luca Guadagnino's thriller A Bigger Splash, opposite Tilda Swinton, Matthias Schoenaerts and Ralph Fiennes. She also played a lead in the 2016 comedy How to Be Single, with Leslie Mann and her Date and Switch costar Nicholas Braun.
Johnson mentioned in the Autumm/Winter 2015 issue of AnOther Magazine, that she is already deep in ballet training to prepare for Luca Guadagnino's remake of Suspiria. She will star with Schnoenaerts again in The Sound of Metal, where she plays a singer, and he plays a drummer who begins to lose his hearing. She will reunite with both her The Social Network's producer Michael De Luca and costar Andrew Garfield for the crime thriller Under the Silver Lake. She will also star in and executive produce the film Forever, Interrupted, playing a young widow.
In 2006, Johnson signed with IMG Models. Though acting is her primary work, she has since modeled for MANGO brand's jeans line in 2009 and shot the "Rising Star" campaign for Australian fashion label Wish in 2011.
In answer to questions regarding her stance on gender rights with respect to her role in Fifty Shades, Johnson stated: "I'm proud of [the movie]. I completely disagree with people who think Ana's weak. I think she's actually stronger than he is. Everything she does is her choice. And if I can be an advocate for women to do what they want to do with their bodies and not be ashamed of what they want, then I'm all for that."
|1999||Crazy in Alabama||Sondra|
|2010||Social Network, TheThe Social Network||Amelia Ritter|
|2012||For Ellen||Cindy Taylor|
|21 Jump Street||Fugazy|
|Five-Year Engagement, TheThe Five-Year Engagement||Audrey|
|2014||Date and Switch||Em|
|Need for Speed||Anita Coleman|
|2015||Fifty Shades of Grey||Anastasia Steele|
|Chloe and Theo||Chloe|
|Black Mass||Lindsey Cyr|
|A Bigger Splash||Penelope Lannier|
|In a Relationship||Willa||Short film|
|2016||How to Be Single||Alice Kepley|
|2017||Fifty Shades Darker||Anastasia Steele||Finished filming|
|2018||Fifty Shades Freed||Anastasia Grey||Finished filming|
|2012–13||Ben and Kate||Kate Fox||Main role; 16 episodes|
|2013||Office, TheThe Office||Dakota||Episode: "Finale"|
|2015||Saturday Night Live||Host||Episode: "Dakota Johnson/Alabama Shakes"|
Awards and nominations
|2010||Hollywood Film Awards||Ensemble of the Year (shared with rest of cast)||The Social Network||Won|||
|2010||San Diego Film Critics Society Awards||Best Ensemble Performance||The Social Network||Nominated|||
|2010||Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association||Best Acting Ensemble||The Social Network||Nominated|||
|2011||Palm Springs International Film Festival||Ensemble Cast Award||The Social Network||Won|||
|2013||Women's Image Network Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series||Ben and Kate||Nominated|||
|2014||Young Hollywood Awards||Breakthrough Actress||N/A||Nominated|||
|2015||Calvin Klein Spotlight Award||Elle Women in Hollywood||N/A||Won|||
|2016||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Dramatic Movie Actress||Fifty Shades of Grey||Won|||
|2016||British Academy Film Awards||Rising Star Award||Fifty Shades of Grey and Black Mass||Nominated|||
|2016||MTV Movie Awards||Best Breakthrough Performance||Fifty Shades of Grey||Nominated|||
|Best Kiss (shared with Jamie Dornan)||Nominated|
- "Dakota Johnson: Biography". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on 2013-07-30. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- "Melanie Griffith and Dakota Johnson – Like Mother, Like Daughter – Hollywood's Hottest Moms". InStyle. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Interview". Aspen Peak. p. 146. Archived from the original on April 12, 2010. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "Dakota Mayi Johnson's Profile, Biography & Heritage". Katagogi. 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Interview". Aspen Peak. p. 146. Archived from the original on April 12, 2010. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "Miss/Mr. Golden Globe". HFPA. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Dakota Johnson Selected as 2006 Miss Golden Globe at 63rd Annual Golden Globe Awards to Be Telecast Live on NBC on Jan. 16; First Daughter of a Former Miss Golden Globe Ever to Be Chosen". Findarticles.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "MANGO blog". Mango.com. October 14, 2011. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Dakota Johnson". Thelast-magazine.com. October 25, 2010. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Dakota Johnson". Interview Magazine. Archived from the original on 2010-01-26. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin (May 3, 2011). "Dakota Johnson books trio of roles". Variety. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin (August 9, 2011). "Dakota Johnson woos 'Gay Dude'". Variety. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 23, 2012). "Dakota Johnson Cast As The Lead Of Fox Comedy Pilot 'Ned Fox Is My Manny'". Deadline.com. PMC. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- O'Connell, Michael (January 25, 2013). "Fox Officially Cancels 'Ben and Kate,' Shuts Down Production". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- Puchko, Kristy (February 7, 2013). "Ben And Kate's Dakota Johnson Feels The Need For Speed". Cinema Blend. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "Anton Yelchin & Dakota Johnson Set for Modern Day CYMBELINE Film Adaptation - BWWMoviesWorld". Broadwayworld.com. August 19, 2013. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- "‘Fifty Shades’ Star Dakota Johnson Ties Up New Role (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- Schaefer, Stephen (April 5, 2014). "Johnny Depp talks "Whitey"". Boston Herald. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Dave McNary (19 February 2015). "Fox Searchlight Makes a ‘Splash’ With Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton and Dakota Johnson". Variety. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "First still of "A Bigger Splash": Matthias Schoenaerts, Tilda Swinton, Dakota Johnson and Ralph Fiennes". imgur.com. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (January 29, 2015). "Dakota Johnson, Leslie Mann and Dan Stevens Join ‘How to Be Single’ (EXCLUSIVE)". Varety. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- "The Full Story: Dakota Johnson for AnOther Magazine A/W15". AnOther Magazine. September 10, 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- Dakota Johnson, Matthias Schoenaerts to star in The Sound of Metal | EW.com
- Dave McNary (10 July 2014). "‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Star Dakota Johnson Joins ‘Forever, Interrupted’". Variety. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Wish". Wish. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "FROM TLM05: DAKOTA JOHNSON". The Last Magazine. 11 February 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- Rodrick, Stephen (March 11, 2014). "Dakota Johnson on 'Fifty Shades of Grey'". Elle. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Genevieve Field, Galmour, Interview in March 2014 issue, pp.234.
- "Dakota Johnson - Awards". IMDb. Retrieved June 29, 2015.
- Cobb, Douglas. "2014 Young Hollywood Awards Show Nominees". Guardian Liberty Voice.
- ELLE reveals the faces of its 2015 Women in Hollywood edition
- Dakota Johnson accepting speech for Calvin Klein Spotlight Award at Elle Women In Hollywood 10/19/15 - YouTube
- People’s Choice Awards 2016: Full List Of Nominees | People's Choice
- Star Wars actor John Boyega up for Bafta Rising Star title - BBC News
- Bell, Crystal (March 8, 2016). "Here Are Your 2016 MTV Movie Awards Nominations". MTV (MTV Networks). Retrieved March 9, 2016.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Data from Wikidata|
- Dakota Johnson at the Internet Movie Database
- Dakota Johnson at Yahoo! Movies
- Dakota Johnson at Rotten Tomatoes
J. K. Simmons
|Saturday Night Live host
February 28, 2015