Dal Shabet on Jan 29, 2015
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Literal meaning||Moon Sherbet|
|Revised Romanization||Dal Syabet|
Dal Shabet (Hangul: 달샤벳, stylized as Dal★Shabet or Dalshabet) is a South Korean girl group formed in 2011 created by E-Tribe under Happy Face Entertainment. The group composed of four-members (formerly six) include Serri, Ah Young, Woohee and Subin. The group debuted on January 3, 2011, with the release of Supa Dupa Diva.
The group won the Best Newcomer Artist award at the 26th Golden Disk Awards on January 11, 2012.
- 1 Career
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and Nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
During the latter half of 2010, rumors began to circulate through Korean media sites that E-Tribe, the producers behind breakthrough hits such as Girls' Generation's "Gee" and Lee Hyori's "U-Go-Girl", were planning to launch a new girl group. The producers quickly denied the rumors and said they were untrue. On December 9, 2010, E-Tribe's small-label company, Happy Face Entertainment, announced that they would be launching a six-member girl group named Dal Shabet. Profiles of the group members were revealed on December 29, 2010, as well as their debut date: January 3, 2011.
2011: Debut, Pink Rocket and Bling Bling
Dal Shabet released their debut music video, "Supa Dupa Diva", on January 3, 2011, making them the first idol group to debut in 2011. Promotions for "Supa Dupa Diva" began on January 6, 2011, on M! Countdown. The song proved to be quite successful as it topped many real time and music station charts for the majority of its promotional period. Promotions for "Supa Dupa Diva" ended on March 14, 2011, but it was revealed that the group would be holding their first comeback in April. "Supa Dupa Diva" was later voted upon by various celebrities in a survey as the second most addicting song of 2011, as well as having the second most popular choreography.
On April 5, 2011, concept photos for Dal Shabet's first comeback track "Pink Rocket" were revealed. The concept, dubbed as 'rocket girls', showed a more elegant and feminine side to the group. On April 13, 2011, the full-length music video to "Pink Rocket" was released. Promotions for "Pink Rocket" began the following day on M! Countdown. Promotions for "Pink Rocket" ended on May 30, 2011, but the group assured fans that they would be releasing another album in early August.
It was announced on August 2, 2011, that Dal Shabet would be making a 'funky' comeback. During the entire first week of August, concept photos for each member were released. The outfits in the concept photos were quickly met with controversy and were deemed 'too sexual' for live television, causing a complete overhaul of the concept. On August 10, 2011, Dal Shabet released their music video for "Bling Bling". Promotions for "Bling Bling" began on August 12, 2011, on Music Bank. The song proved to be their most successful yet, as it managed to break the top ten on the Gaon chart. Promotions for "Bling Bling" officially ended on November 6, 2011, but fans were assured the group would quickly return to the stage.
2012: Hit U, line-up changes, Bang Bang and Have, Don't Have
In early January, it was announced that Dal Shabet were to become the main models of Korean luxury brand 'SONOVI'.
On January 8, 2012, it was revealed that the members of Dal Shabet would be undergoing a dramatic and powerful transformation for their fourth EP. Promotions for "Hit U" began on January 26, 2012, on M! Countdown. The music video and EP were released digitally and physically the following day. The album went on to top the physical portion of the Gaon chart, securing Dal Shabet's first number one album. Promotions for "Hit U" ended on March 16, 2012, but the group confirmed they would be returning to the music scene in June.
On May 22, 2012, it was confirmed that the group would be releasing their first studio album on June 6, 2012. Three days later, a tracklist for the album was released, confirming the album's name to be BANG BANG. On May 23, 2012, is was announced that Viki would be leaving the group to continue her career as a solo artist. She was replaced with new member Woohee before the group had their comeback. It was later confirmed by a spokesperson for Dal Shabet's agency that Serri would be taking the position of leader.
On June 1, 2012, an introduction teaser featuring Woohee dancing to Beyoncé's "Freakum Dress" was released. On June 6, 2012, the music video and album were released. Promotions for "Mr. BangBang" began on M! Countdown the following day. Promotions for "Mr. BangBang" ended on the July 28, 2012, broadcast of 'Music Core'. Dal Shabet confirmed they will be making their comeback sometime in November.
On October 24, 2012, the members of Dal Shabet were selected to be the main models of the Chinese smartphone brand 'VIVO'.
On November 13, 2012, Dal Shabet's fifth EP, Have, Don't Have, was digitally and physically released, with the music video being released shortly after. A second version of the music video was released the following day. Both videos were filmed with the help of Lee Si Uhn and 'Jongtuk and the Cheerful Men'. Promotions for the album's title track, "Have, Don't Have", began on M! Countdown on November 15, 2012. Happy Face Entertainment called the song "a disco song that is easy for listeners to sing along to and the lyrics describe a girl's cute feelings towards a guy". On November 19, 2012, Dal Shabet released a surprise music video for "For Darling". The song, and music video, were Dal Shabet's special gift for their fans.
2013: It's You, Be Ambitious & controversy
On May 28, 2013, it was announced that Dal Shabet would be releasing their new album on June 20, 2013. Their agency stated, “This album is perfect for the sweltering summer. The cool summer music will refresh you. They’ll show you a side of themselves you’ve never seen before.” On June 17, 2013, it was announced that the lyrics to "Be Ambitious" were unfit for public broadcast due to sexual content and would have to be changed in order for the group to promote on television. Their company complied the same day and changed the lyrics in question. On June 19, 2013, Dal Shabet held a showcase event to celebrate the release of their sixth album. On June 20, 2013, the group physically and digitally released their sixth extended play to the public, along with an accompanying music video for "Be Ambitious". The group began promotions for their album the same day and performed a two song comeback stage on Mnet's M! Countdown.
On July 1, 2013, men's rights group 'Man of Korea' filed an injunction to completely ban further distribution of "Be Ambitious". The group stated, "The lyrics and music video of "Be Ambitious" depreciate both women and men, and it's harmful to the youth. The music video also contains scenes that depreciate the 600,000 soldiers that are working hard in their enlistment." On July 11, 2013, Happy Face Entertainment and 'Man of Korea' held a joint conference, where they discussed the lawsuit. Following the conference, 'Man of Korea' officially announced they would be dropping their lawsuit against Dal Shabet's "Be Ambitious". Happy Face Entertainment stated, "There was no intention to depreciate the image of soldiers whatsoever, so we cleared up the misunderstanding through negotiation and peacefully came to an agreement."
On December 31, 2013, "Have, Don't Have" was determined to be the most played girl group song in Korean fashion stores for 2013.
2014: B.B.B & Subin's car accident
On December 15, 2013, Happy Face Entertainment announced that Dal Shabet were scheduled to make a comeback on January 8, 2014, and that a "shocking transformation" was planned for it. On January 5, 2014, the group appeared on the show 'Real Men', where they performed their unreleased title track for the troops. On January 8, 2014, Dal Shabet physically and digitally released "B.B.B", along with the accompanying music video.
Following the filming of MBC Every 1's 9 to 6 on May 23, 2014, Subin was involved in a car accident in Busan while returning to Seoul. A representative from the relief center that responded to the accident reported, "On May 23, at about 7:30 PM, the van was overturned and completely wrecked. It was a serious accident." A second representative from the police department reported, "It looks to be negligent driving. We are currently investigating it." Subin was admitted to a nearby hospital and later moved to Seoul, where she underwent surgery for her injuries.
On September 26, 2014, Happy Face Entertainment announced that Dal Shabet was in the process of recording a new album for a comeback in late January 2015.
In October 2014, Woohee was hospitalized and received surgery for a collapsed lung. She has reportedly received surgery for the same condition in the past and is taking a break from group activities to focus on recovering.
2015: Joker Is Alive, Japan Debut, Line-up changes
Dal Shabet's eighth EP, Joker Is Alive, was released on April 15, 2015—their first release in a year and three months. The title track, "Joker", is a swing jazz dance song. In the music video, Dal Shabet portray female Harlequins who seduce the Joker, played by Lee Seung-ho. The music video was banned by KBS because of its explicit choreography, and the song's lyrics were censored by the network because the English word "joker" sounds similar to a Korean expletive.
Dal shabet debuted in Japan on November 4 with their first single 'Hard 2 Love' and album compilation of all their successes 'The Best'. 'Hard 2 Love' debuted on the Oricon Chart at number 16 in the first day, and number 37 in its first week, selling 1737 copies. 
On December 8, Happy Face Entertainment announced that Jiyul and Kaeun left the group after their contracts expired.A day later, Happy Face Entertainment also confirmed that Dalshabet will be coming back as a 4-member group to celebrate their 5th year anniversary on January 5, 2016.On December 21, Happy Face Entertainment released teaser images for their comeback and also announced that Dal Shabet will have a comeback with their ninth mini-album, Naturalness will be released on January 5, 2016.
On January 5, the video for a track on their ninth mini album 'Naturalness' was released on YouTube, titled "Someone Like U".
'Naturalness' ranked #1 at Japan's Tower Record Charts and 4th on China's YinYueTai charts 
- Viki (Gang Eun-hye 강은혜)
- Cho Ka-eun (조가은)
- Jiyul (Yang Jung-yoon 양정윤)
|Member||2011||2012||2013 ~ 2014||2015||2016|
|Jan||May||Jun||8th Dec||9th Dec|
- 2012: Bang Bang
|2012||Wonderful Radio||Corby Girls (Cameo)|
|2011||Dream High||KBS2||Kirin Students (Cameo)|
|2011||Sweet Sweet Story||KukiTV||Themselves|
|Cool Friends||SBS MTV||Themselves|
|2014||A Date with K-pop Stars||MediaCorp, Channel M||Themselves|
Awards and Nominations
|2011||19th Republic of Korea Entertainment News Awards||Popularity Award||Won|||
|2011 Bugs Music Awards||Best Rookie||Won|||
|Soompi Gayo Awards||Top 50 Songs - #41||Won|||
|Top New Artists of 2011||Won|||
|13th Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best New Female Artists||Nominated|||
|2012||GALLUP Korea||Best New Female Group of 2011||Won|||
|26th Golden Disk Awards||Rookie Award||Won|||
|Ministry of Health and Welfare||Campaigning Award||Won|||
|allkpop awards||Rising Star Award||Won|||
|2013||Homme Music Award||#1 Played Song||Won|||
- "Dal★shabet Information". Mwave. CJ E&M. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- 이트라이브 키우는 걸그룹 달샤벳 최초공개 ‘소시 인기 재현할까?’. Newsen (December 10, 2010). Retrieved on January 17, 2012.
- Dal Shabet releases “Supa Dupa Diva” music video!. TV Report (January 3, 2011). Retrieved on January 17, 2012.
- 달샤벳, 오늘(6일) `엠카`로 데뷔 무대 | Daum 연예. Media.daum.net. Retrieved on November 11, 2011.
- 달샤벳, 두번째 미니앨범 작업 돌입..4월 컴백 : 네이트 뉴스. News.nate.com. Retrieved on November 11, 2011.
- "Idols vote on the best singer, song, choreography and more for the first half of 2011". Sports Seoul (July 1, 2011). Retrieved on January 17, 2012.
- Dal Shabet releases 'Rocket Girl' photos for "Pink Rocket". Newsen. Retrieved on March 15, 2012.
- Dal Shabet unleashes "Pink Rocket" music video. TV Report. Retrieved on January 17, 2012.
- Dal Shabet returns on a "Pink Rocket" to M! Countdown. News.nate.com. Retrieved on January 17, 2012.
- '핑크로켓' 활동 마감 달샤벳, 미니 팬미팅서 '눈물' 흘려 : 네이트 뉴스. News.nate.com. Retrieved on November 11, 2011.
- '컴백' 달샤벳, 섹시한 펑키걸 변신. Osen.mt.co.kr. Retrieved on November 11, 2011.
- 달샤벳, 가요계 선정성 논란에 '무대의상 대폭 수정'. Naver (August 9, 2011). Retrieved on March 15, 2012.
- "Dal Shabet reveals full MV for 'Bling Bling'". TV Report (August 10, 2011). Retrieved on January 17, 2012.
- 달샤벳, 신곡 '블링블링' 음원공개. 걸그룹 전쟁 다시 시작돼! : 네이트 뉴스. News.nate.com. Retrieved on November 11, 2011.
- 달샤벳, 브랜드 소노비 전속모델 발탁 '광고 블루칩'. Nate News (January 14, 2012). Retrieved on October 24, 2012.
- "Dal Shabet holds M! Countdown comeback stage ahead of music video release". Hankyung News (January 26, 2012). Retrieved on January 27, 2012.
- "Dal Shabet reveals MV for 'Hit U'". Eto (January 27, 2012). Retrieved on January 27, 2012.
- Dal Shabet to return in June”. Star News (March 14, 2012). Retrieved on March 17, 2012.
- 달샤벳 비키, 탈퇴 관련 팬카페에 자필 편지 공개”. Naver (May 23, 2012). Retrieved on May 23, 2012.
- 달샤벳 세리, 비키 탈퇴 후 새 리더 발탁”. Star Today (June 4, 2012). Retrieved on June 7, 2012.
- 달샤벳 새 멤버 우희, 티저 공개...청순 벗고 파워퍼포먼스”. Etoday (June 2, 2012). Retrieved on June 3, 2012.
- '컴백' 달샤벳, 뮤비서 은행강도 변신..'미스터뱅뱅'”. Nate (June 4, 2012). Retrieved on June 3, 2012.
- 달샤벳, 정규앨범 활동 마감..새멤버 우희 완벽적응 “겨울 컴백”. Herald News (July 30, 2012). Retrieved on July 31, 2012.
- 달샤벳, 송혜교와 어깨 나란히…中 휴대폰 모델 발탁. Xports News (October 24, 2012). Retrieved on October 24, 2012.
- 달샤벳, 신곡 '있기 없기' 공개…'디스코걸로 깜짝 변신' Nate News (November 13, 2012). Retrieved on November 13, 2012.
- 달샤벳, 슈스케4 '정턱과 쾌남들'과 코믹 뮤비 제작 '있기 없기' The Star (November 7, 2012). Retrieved on November 7, 2012.
- 달샤벳, 상큼하게 '있기 없기' MyDaily (November 15, 2012). Retrieved on November 19, 2012.
- 달샤벳, ′디스코걸′ 변신…′있기 없기′ 재킷 공개. Asia Today (November 6, 2012). Retrieved on November 7, 2012.
- 달샤벳, ‘샤르르’ M/V 공개..꾸밈없는 일상 모습 ‘눈길’ Star News (November 20, 2012). Retrieved on January 3, 2013.
- 달샤벳, 15일 ‘내 연애의 모든 것’ OST곡 ‘그건 너’ 발매. Sports DongA (May 15, 2013). Retrieved on May 15, 2013.
- 달샤벳, 새 앨범 발표 막바지…‘걸그룹 6월대전’ 예고. ISPLUS (May 28, 2013). Retrieved on May 28, 2013.
- 달샤벳 ‘내 다리를 봐’ SBS 심의 “가사 바꿔 방송한다”. SSTV (June 17, 2013). Retrieved on June 17, 2013.
- 달샤벳 쇼케이스, 다리만 보시면 부끄럽단말이예요. Data News (June 20, 2013). Retrieved on June 20, 2013.
- 달샤벳 '내다리를봐' 먼로춤, 치마 벗고 살랑살랑 파격. Nate (June 20, 2013). Retrieved on June 20, 2013.
- 달샤벳 '아찔하게 펄럭이는 하의'. Nate (June 20, 2013). Retrieved on June 20, 2013.
- 남성연대, 달샤벳 '내다리를 봐' 유통금지 소송. Nate (June 28, 2013). Retrieved on July 13, 2013.
- 남성연대 대표와 걸그룹 '달샤벳' 멤버간 트윗 눈길. Sports Khan (July 12, 2013). Retrieved on July 13, 2013.
- 달샤벳, 홈쇼핑에서는 우리가 갑!. Hankooki (December 31, 2013). Retrieved on December 31, 2013.
- 달샤벳 “내년 1월, 더 성숙하게 돌아온다”. MBN Star (December 15, 2013). Retrieved on December 15, 2013.
- 달샤벳 진짜 사나이 위문공연, 신곡 ‘B.B.B’ 최초 공개 “장병들의 피로회복제”. JoongBoo (January 5, 2014). Retrieved on January 5, 2014.
- 달샤벳 'B.B.B', 노출은 약하게 노래 안무는 강하게. MyDaily (January 8, 2014). Retrieved on January 8, 2014.
- 한밤' 수빈 교통사고 현장공개, 차량 완파 상태… 현장 '끔찍'. Naver (May 28, 2014). Retrieved on September 30, 2014.
- 달샤벳 수빈, 교통사고 당시 반파 차량 보니 '충격' MyDaily (May 24, 2014). Retrieved on September 30, 2014.
- 달샤벳 수빈 교통사고 차량전복…허리부상 치료 中 Yeongnamilbo (May 24, 2014). Retrieved on September 30, 2014.
- 달샤벳, 6인6색 자체발광 셀카 Polinews (September 26, 2014). Retrieved on September 30, 2014.
- Pao (October 14, 2014). "Dal Shabet’s Woohee Successfully Completes Surgery for Collapsed Lung, Will Focus on Recovery". Soompi. Retrieved November 24, 2014.
- Chu, Yanchingsally (April 15, 2015). "Dal Shabet Revealed Their Favorite ‘Joker’". BNT News. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- "TV bans girl group's 'explicit' music video". The Korea Times. April 15, 2015. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- Park Hyun-taek (May 12, 2015). "Dal Shabet seek a breakthrough". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- "달샤벳 가은-지율, 팀 떠난다. 탈퇴 이후 패션-연기 쪽으로 활동 예정". Sportschosun. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Dalshabet shares more details on their comeback as a 4-membered group". Allkpop. December 9, 2015.
- "Dal Shabet to officially make their comeback on the date of their 5th anniversary". Allkpop. December 21, 2015.
- "Dal Shabet receives Popularity Award at the 19th Republic of Korea Entertainment News Awards". Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Bugs 2011 Music Awards Winners". Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- "2011 Soompi Gayo Awards Results". Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "2011Mnet Asian Music Awards part 1". MAMA. Retrieved 2015-01-20.
- "한국갤럽이 뽑은 '2011년 10대 가수와 가요'". Retrieved January 1, 2015.
- "Dal Shabet proudly shows off their Golden Disk Award". Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Dalshabet receives an award from the Minister of Health and Welfare". Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Winners of the 2012 allkpop awards presented by Naver BAND!". Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- "GS샵, 배경음악 1위는 달샤벳 ′있기없기′". Retrieved 30 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dal Shabet.|