Dale is an unincorporated community in Grant County, Oregon, United States. It is located on U.S. Route 395 within the Umatilla National Forest about 17 miles south of Ukiah. It is near the Umatilla-Grant County border just south of the 45th parallel north.
The first post office at this locale was established in 1887 and named Dorman after James W. Dorman, the first postmaster. The name was changed to Dale in 1891. The office may have been moved south from its original location in Umatilla County and it was shown as being in Grant County by 1903. According to the compiler of Oregon Geographic Names, who did not think that the local terrain resembled a dale, "The name Dale as applied to this locality may have had a significance other than topographic." Mail for Dale is now handled by the Ukiah post office, ZIP code 97880.
- "Dale". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Oregon Atlas & Gazetteer (7th ed.). Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. 2008. pp. 74, 78. ISBN 0-89933-347-8.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 265. ISBN 978-0875952772.
- "ZIP Code Lookup". United States Postal Service. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the State of Oregon (1940). Oregon: End of the Trail. American Guide Series. Portland, Oregon: Binfords & Mort. p. 419. OCLC 4874569.
- "Personal-Use Firewood Permits". Umatilla National Forest. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Groom, Etta (March 2005). "Pioneer Ranger Family at Dale, Oregon" (PDF). National Museum of Forest Service History Newsletter. United States Forest Service. 16 (1). Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Long Creek Eyes Dale FS Site for Campus". Blue Mountain Eagle. May 7, 2008.
- Historic images of directional signs to Dale Ranger Station from Salem Public Library
- Historic image of Dale Ranger Station in 1924 from the U.S. Forest Service
- Images of Dale from Flickr
|This Grant County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|