|Born:||February 7, 1926|
|Died:||January 18, 2019(aged 92)|
|High school:||Loveland (CO) High School|
|NFL Draft:||1951 / Round: 6 / Pick: 67|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Dodrill was born to George Dodrill and Lettie (Fike) Dodrill on February 27, 1926 in Stockton, Kansas. The family farmed in Rooks County, Kansas and Dale attended Plainville, Kansas schools. In 1937, the Dodrill family moved to Fort Collins, Colorado and then to Loveland, Colorado. In 1942, Dodrill played on the Loveland High School state championship football team. Dodrill was drafted into the United States Army right out of high school, serving in the 30th Infantry Division during World War II. Dodrill’s brother Garrett died in a prison camp in the Philippines during the war.
In 1947, Dodrill enrolled at Colorado A&M (Colorado State University) to play football for the Rams. Dodrill played both sides of the ball for the Rams helping the team to its first post season appearance, the 1949 Raisin Bowl. Dodrill was selected All-Skyline Athletic Conference in 1948, 1949 and 1950. He was selected to play in the East-West Shrine game in 1949 and the College All-Star game in 1951. In 1952, Dodrill won the Nye Trophy as the most outstanding Colorado State male athlete. Dodrill was inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame in 1993.
Dodrill was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in Round 6 of the 1951 NFL draft. During his 9-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dodrill posted career numbers of 10 interceptions and 11 recovered fumbles. One fumble recovery was returned for a touchdown. Dodrill was voted to the NFL Pro Bowl four times (1954, 1955, 1956, 1958) and named First Team All-Pro in 1954.
In 2007, Dodrill was honored by the Pittsburgh Steelers during their 75th Season Celebration. Dodrill was named to the Pittsburgh Steelers Legends team as one of the Steelers’ best players from the pre-1970 era. Dodrill was inducted into the Pittsburgh Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.
Later and personal life
Dodrill married Janette Briggs on February 28, 1954. The couple has three sons, Garrett, Michael and David. In 1961, Dodrill started Dodrill Insurance in Denver, Colorado. After building a successful business, Dodrill sold Dodrill Insurance to his sons in 1991. Michael died in 1964 and Janette in 2015.
- "Dale Dodrill". NFL. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Former Residents Observe Golden Wedding Anniversary". Plainville Times. April 17, 1969. p. 4.
- "CSU football legend saw the horrors of World War II". Coloradoan. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Colorado High School Football". CHSAA. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "2017 Colorado State Football Media Guide - History" (PDF). CSU Rams. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Nye Trophy Award". CSU Rams. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Dale Dodrill". Colorado Sports Hall of Fame. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "NFL Draft History". National Football League. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Dale Dodrill". pro-football-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Pittsburgh Pro Football Hall of Fame". Facebook. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Dale Dodrill". ProFootballHistory.com. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "About Us". Dodrill Insurance. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Janette H. "Jan" Dodrill 1931-2015". Newcomer Cremations, Funerals, and Receptions. Retrieved March 3, 2018.