Dale G. Renlund
|Dale G. Renlund|
|Quorum of the Twelve Apostles|
|October 3, 2015|
|LDS Church Apostle|
|October 8, 2015|
|Reason||Deaths of L. Tom Perry, Boyd K. Packer, and Richard G. Scott|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|April 4, 2009– October 3, 2015|
|End reason||Called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles|
Dale Gunnar Renlund|
November 13, 1952
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Dale Gunnar Renlund (born November 13, 1952) is a cardiologist and member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He has been a general authority of the church since 2009. Currently, he is the thirteenth most senior apostle in the church.
Renlund was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Mats Åke Renlund and Mariana Andersson. Renlund's parents were from Finland and Sweden and emigrated to the United States so they could marry in an LDS Church temple. Since his parents did not yet know English, Renlund's first language was Swedish.[unreliable source?] For three years while he was a teenager, Renlund lived with his parents in Sweden where his father was a building missionary for the LDS Church.
From 1972 to 1974 Renlund returned to Sweden where he served as a full-time missionary for the LDS Church. He received a bachelor's degree in chemistry and an M.D., both from the University of Utah. He then went on to do a three-year internal medicine residency program and then a three-year cardiology fellowship, both at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. While studying at Johns Hopkins, Renlund served as bishop of an LDS ward. During this time his wife, Ruth, was going to law school.
In 1986, Renlund became a professor at the University of Utah. From 1991 to 2009, he was the medical director of the Utah Transplantation Affiliated Hospitals Cardiac Transplant Program. In 2000, he also became director of the Heart Failure Prevention and Treatment Program at Intermountain Health Center in Salt Lake City.
Renlund is married to Ruth Lybbert, a daughter of Merlin R. Lybbert, who was a general authority of the LDS Church. The Renlunds are the parents of one daughter. Ruth Renlund was a partner of the law firm of Dewsnup, King & Olsen.
In April 2009, Renlund became a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, a full-time ecclesiastical position. Later in 2009, Renlund and his wife moved to Johannesburg, South Africa where he served first as a counselor and then from 2011 to 2014 as president of the church's Africa Southeast Area.
In October 2015, he was sustained as an apostle and member of the Quorum of the Twelve. As an apostle, he is accepted by the church as a prophet, seer and revelator. He was sustained to the Quorum of the Twelve along with Ronald A. Rasband and Gary E. Stevenson, filling vacancies created by the 2015 deaths of L. Tom Perry, Boyd K. Packer and Richard G. Scott. This was the first time since 1906 that three new apostles were sustained. They are the 98th, 99th and 100th members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the church's history. As of August 2017, among his other assignments Renlund serves on the Church Board of Education and Boards of Trustees.
- Stehlik J, Islam N, Hurst D, Kfoury AG, Movsesian MA, Fuller A, Delgado JC, Hammond ME, Gilbert EM, Renlund DG, Bader F, Fisher PW, Bull DA, Singhal AK, Eckels DD. Utility of Virtual Crossmatch in Sensitized Patients Awaiting Heart Transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009 Sep 25. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.05.031 PMID 19782589
- Russo MJ, Gelijns AC, Stevenson LW, Sampat B, Aaronson KD, Renlund DG, Ascheim DD, Hong KN, Oz MC, Moskowitz AJ, Rose EA, Miller LW; REMATCH Investigators. The cost of medical management in advanced heart failure during the final two years of life. J Card Fail. 2008 Oct;14(8):651-8. Epub 2008 Jul 21. doi:10.1016/j.cardfail.2008.06.005 PMID 18926436
- Everitt MD, Donaldson AE, Casper TC, Stehlik J, Hawkins JA, Tani LY, Renlund DG, Kouretas PC, Kaza AK, Bullock EA, Cardon M, Kfoury AG. Effect of ABO-Incompatible Listing on Infant Heart Transplant Waitlist Outcomes: Analysis of the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Database. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009 Sep 25. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.06.024 PMID 19782582
- Drakos SG, Kfoury AG, Kotter JR, Reid BB, Clayson SE, Selzman CH, Stehlik J, Fisher PW, Mérida M 3rd, Eckels DD, Brunisholz K, Horne BD, Stoker S, Li DY, Renlund DG. Prior human leukocyte antigen-allosensitization and left ventricular assist device type affect degree of post-implantation human leukocyte antigen-allosensitization. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009 Aug;28(8):838-42. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.04.031 PMID 19632582
- Kfoury AG, Hammond ME, Snow GL, Drakos SG, Stehlik J, Fisher PW, Reid BB, Everitt MD, Bader FM, Renlund DG. Cardiovascular mortality among heart transplant recipients with asymptomatic antibody-mediated or stable mixed cellular and antibody-mediated rejection. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009 Aug;28(8):781-4. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.04.035 PMID 19632573
- Horne BD, May HT, Muhlestein JB, Ronnow BS, Lappé DL, Renlund DG, Kfoury AG, Carlquist JF, Fisher PW, Pearson RR, Bair TL, Anderson JL. Exceptional mortality prediction by risk scores from common laboratory tests. Am J Med. 2009 Jun;122(6):550-8. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2008.10.043 PMID 19486718
- Bader FM, Rogers RK, Kfoury AG, Gilbert EM, Horne BD, Stehlik J, Renlund DG. Time-dependent changes in B-type natriuretic peptide after heart transplantation: correlation with allograft rejection and function. Congest Heart Fail. 2009 Mar-Apr;15(2):63-7. doi:10.1111/j.1751-7133.2009.00055.x PMID 19379451
- May HT, Horne BD, Ronnow BS, Renlund DG, Muhlestein JB, Lappé DL, Pearson RR, Carlquist JF, Kfoury AG, Bair TL, Rasmusson KD, Anderson JL. Superior predictive ability for death of a basic metabolic profile risk score. Am Heart J. 2009 May;157(5):946-54. Epub 2009 Mar 25. doi:10.1016/j.ahj.2008.12.021 PMID 19376326
- Horne BD, May HT, Anderson JL, Kfoury AG, Bailey BM, McClure BS, Renlund DG, Lappé DL, Carlquist JF, Fisher PW, Pearson RR, Bair TL, Adams TD, Muhlestein JB; Intermountain Heart Collaborative Study. Fasting and other health influences. Am J Cardiol. 2009 Apr 1;103(7):1042. No abstract available. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2009.01.032 PMID 19327441
- Stehlik J, Nelson DM, Kfoury AG, Reid BB, Clayson SE, Nelson KE, Christensen BJ, Renlund DG, Movsesian MA, Cowley CG, Smith HK, Rasmusson BY, Long JW. Outcome of noncardiac surgery in patients with ventricular assist devices. Am J Cardiol. 2009 Mar 1;103(5):709-12. Epub 2009 Jan 15. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2008.11.021 PMID 19231338
- Kfoury AG, Renlund DG, Snow GL, Stehlik J, Folsom JW, Fisher PW, Reid BB, Clayson SE, Gilbert EM, Everitt MD, Bader FM, Singhal AK, Hammond ME. A clinical correlation study of severity of antibody-mediated rejection and cardiovascular mortality in heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009 Jan;28(1):51-7. Epub 2008 Dec 4. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2008.09.012 PMID 19134531
- Dale G. Renlund, "Our Good Shepherd," Ensign or Liahona, May 2017, 29-32.
- Dale G. Renlund, "Repentance: A Joyful Choice," Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2016, 121-124.
- Dale G. Renlund, "’That I Might Draw All Men unto Me’," Ensign or Liahona, May 2016, 39-42.
- Dale G. Renlund, "Through God’s Eyes," Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015, 93-94.
- Dale G. Renlund, "Latter-day Saints Keep on Trying," Ensign or Liahona, May 2015, 56-58.
- Dale G. Renlund, "Preserving the Heart’s Mighty Change," Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2009, 97-99.
- Apostolic seniority is generally understood to include all ordained apostles (including the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Seniority is determined by date of ordination, not by age or other factors. If two apostles are ordained on the same day, the older of the two is typically ordained first. See Succession to the presidency and Heath, Steven H. (Summer 1987). "Notes on Apostolic Succession" (PDF). Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 20 (2): 44–56..
- "Elder Dale G. Renlund", Liahona, November 2015.
- Renlund Hyde, Lisa, "Want a New Apostle With A Diverse Background? He's Already There", Mormon Observer
- "Three Named to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: 100 apostles have now served since Church was organized", Newsroom, LDS Church, 2015-10-03
- Church Education: About CES Administration, lds.org. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Quentin L. Cook, "Elder Dale G. Renlund: An Obedient Servant", Liahona, July 2016
- "Dale Gunnar Renlund". Church News. May 9, 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- Askar, J.G. (May 9, 2009). "Healing hands consecrated to the Lord's work". Church News. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- "Elder Dale G. Renlund," Liahona, May 2009, p. 136
- healthgrades report on Renlund
|The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints titles|
Gary E. Stevenson
| Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
October 3, 2015 –
Gerrit W. Gong