Dale G. Renlund
|Dale G. Renlund|
|Quorum of the Twelve Apostles|
|October 3, 2015|
|LDS Church Apostle|
|October 8, 2015|
|Reason||Deaths of L. Tom Perry, Boyd K. Packer, and Richard G. Scott|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|April 4, 2009– October 3, 2015|
|End reason||Called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles|
|Born||Dale Gunnar Renlund|
November 13, 1952
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Dale Gunnar Renlund (born November 13, 1952) is an American religious leader and former cardiologist who serves in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He has been a general authority of the church since 2009. Currently, he is the thirteenth most senior apostle in the church.
Renlund was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Mats Åke Renlund and Mariana Andersson. Renlund's parents were from Finland and Sweden and emigrated to the United States so they could marry in an LDS Church temple. Since his parents did not yet know English, Renlund's first language was Swedish. For three years while he was a teenager, Renlund lived with his parents in Sweden where his father was a building missionary for the LDS Church. From 1972 to 1974 Renlund returned to Sweden where he served as a full-time missionary for the LDS Church.
He received a bachelor's degree in chemistry and an M.D., both from the University of Utah. He then went on to do a three-year internal medicine residency program and then a three-year cardiology fellowship, both at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. While working at Johns Hopkins, Renlund served as bishop of an LDS ward. During this time his wife, Ruth, was going to law school.
In 1986, Renlund became a professor at the University of Utah. As a cardiologist, he specialized in heart transplants. From 1991 to 2009, he was the medical director of the Utah Transplantation Affiliated Hospitals Cardiac Transplant Program. In 2000, he also became director of the Heart Failure Prevention and Treatment Program at Intermountain Health Center in Salt Lake City.
LDS Church service
In addition to his time as a bishop, Renlund has served in many positions in the LDS Church, including ward Sunday School president and high councilor. In 1992, Renlund succeeded H. David Burton as president of the Salt Lake University 1st Stake. He served as an area seventy in the church's Utah Salt Lake City Area from 2000 to 2009.
In April 2009, Renlund became a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, a full-time ecclesiastical position. Later in 2009, Renlund and his wife moved to Johannesburg, South Africa where he served first as a counselor and then from 2011 to 2014 as president of the church's Africa Southeast Area. In this position he oversaw the church in about 20 countries, making trips to many of them, including a total of nearly 40 trips to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
In October 2015, he was sustained as an apostle and member of the Quorum of the Twelve. As an apostle, he is accepted by the church as a prophet, seer and revelator. He was sustained to the Quorum of the Twelve along with Ronald A. Rasband and Gary E. Stevenson, filling vacancies created by the 2015 deaths of L. Tom Perry, Boyd K. Packer and Richard G. Scott. This was the first time since 1906 that three new apostles were sustained. They are the 98th, 99th and 100th members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the church's history.
In June 2017, Renlund and his wife spoke at an international forum on religious freedom in Costa Rica and advocated, "Religious beliefs, teachings and practices bring needed medicine to a society that would otherwise be aggressive and sick." In June 2018, Renlund was featured in a series of suicide awareness videos published by the church. The series was aimed at understanding suicide and taking measures to prevent it. Renlund also spoke at a medical conference held in Vatican City in April 2018, describing the church's views on religion improving the health of individuals. In August 2017, Renlund participated in a "Face-to-Face" online event with youth members of the LDS Church in Africa.
Renlund married Ruth Lybbert in 1977. She is a daughter of Merlin R. Lybbert, who was a general authority of the LDS Church. The Renlunds are the parents of one daughter. Ruth Renlund was a personal injury trial lawyer and a partner of the law firm of Dewsnup, King & Olsen. Ruth Renlund is an ovarian cancer survivor.
This section may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.(July 2020)
- Stehlik, Josef; Islam, Nauman; Hurst, Denise; Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Movsesian, Matthew A.; Fuller, Ann; Delgado, Julio C.; Hammond, M. Elizabeth H.; Gilbert, Edward M.; Renlund, Dale G.; Bader, Feras; Fisher, Patrick W.; Bull, David A.; Singhal, Arun K.; Eckels, David D. (November 2009). "Utility of Virtual Crossmatch in Sensitized Patients Awaiting Heart Transplantation". The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 28 (11): 1129–1134. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.05.031. PMID 19782589.
- Russo, Mark J.; Gelijns, Annetine C.; Stevenson, Lynne W.; Sampat, Bhaven; Aaronson, Keith D.; Renlund, Dale G.; Ascheim, Deborah D.; Hong, Kimberly N.; Oz, Mehmet C.; Moskowitz, Alan J.; Rose, Eric A.; Miller, Leslie W. (October 2008). "The Cost of Medical Management in Advanced Heart Failure During the Final Two Years of Life". Journal of Cardiac Failure. 14 (8): 651–658. doi:10.1016/j.cardfail.2008.06.005. PMID 18926436.
- Everitt, Melanie D.; Donaldson, Amy E.; Casper, T. Charles; Stehlik, Josef; Hawkins, John A.; Tani, Lloyd Y.; Renlund, Dale G.; Kouretas, Peter C.; Kaza, Aditya K.; Bullock, Emily A.; Cardon, Michelle; Kfoury, Abdallah G. (December 2009). "Effect of ABO-Incompatible Listing on Infant Heart Transplant Waitlist Outcomes: Analysis of the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Database". The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 28 (12): 1254–1260. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.06.024. PMID 19782582.
- Drakos, Stavros G.; Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Kotter, John R.; Reid, Bruce B.; Clayson, Stephen E.; Selzman, Craig H.; Stehlik, Josef; Fisher, Patrick W.; Merida, Mario; Eckels, David D.; Brunisholz, Kim; Horne, Benjamin D.; Stoker, Sandi; Li, Dean Y.; Renlund, Dale G. (August 2009). "Prior Human Leukocyte Antigen-Allosensitization and Left Ventricular Assist Device Type Affect Degree of Post-implantation Human Leukocyte Antigen-Allosensitization". The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 28 (8): 838–842. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.04.031. PMC 2758491. PMID 19632582.
- Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Hammond, M. Elizabeth H.; Snow, Gregory L.; Drakos, Stavros G.; Stehlik, Josef; Fisher, Patrick W.; Reid, Bruce B.; Everitt, Melanie D.; Bader, Feras M.; Renlund, Dale G. (August 2009). "Cardiovascular Mortality Among Heart Transplant Recipients With Asymptomatic Antibody-Mediated or Stable Mixed Cellular and Antibody-Mediated Rejection". The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 28 (8): 781–784. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.04.035.
- Horne, Benjamin D.; May, Heidi T.; Muhlestein, Joseph B.; Ronnow, Brianna S.; Lappé, Donald L.; Renlund, Dale G.; Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Carlquist, John F.; Fisher, Patrick W.; Pearson, Robert R.; Bair, Tami L.; Anderson, Jeffrey L. (June 2009). "Exceptional Mortality Prediction by Risk Scores from Common Laboratory Tests". The American Journal of Medicine. 122 (6): 550–558. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2008.10.043. PMID 19486718.
- Bader, Feras M.; Rogers, R. Kevin; Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Gilbert, Edward M.; Horne, Ben D.; Stehlik, Josef; Renlund, Dale G. (March 2009). "Time-Dependent Changes in B-Type Natriuretic Peptide After Heart Transplantation: Correlation With Allograft Rejection and Function". Congestive Heart Failure. 15 (2): 63–67. doi:10.1111/j.1751-7133.2009.00055.x. PMID 19379451.
- May, Heidi T.; Horne, Benjamin D.; Ronnow, Brianna S.; Renlund, Dale G.; Muhlestein, Joseph B.; Lappé, Donald L.; Pearson, Robert R.; Carlquist, John F.; Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Bair, Tami L.; Rasmusson, Kismet D.; Anderson, Jeffrey L. (May 2009). "Superior predictive ability for death of a basic metabolic profile risk score". American Heart Journal. 157 (5): 946–954. doi:10.1016/j.ahj.2008.12.021. PMID 19376326.
- Horne, Benjamin D.; May, Heidi T.; Anderson, Jeffrey L.; Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Bailey, Beau M.; McClure, Brian S.; Renlund, Dale G.; Lappé, Donald L.; Carlquist, John F.; Fisher, Patrick W.; Pearson, Robert R.; Bair, Tami L.; Adams, Ted D.; Muhlestein, Joseph B. (April 2009). "Fasting and Other Health Influences". The American Journal of Cardiology. 103 (7): 1042. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2009.01.032. PMID 19327441.
- Stehlik, Josef; Nelson, Devin M.; Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Reid, Bruce B.; Clayson, Stephen E.; Nelson, Karl E.; Christensen, Brent J.; Renlund, Dale G.; Movsesian, Matthew A.; Cowley, Cris G.; Smith, Hildegard K.; Rasmusson, Brad Y.; Long, James W. (March 2009). "Outcome of Noncardiac Surgery in Patients With Ventricular Assist Devices". The American Journal of Cardiology. 103 (5): 709–712. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2008.11.021. PMID 19231338.
- Kfoury, Abdallah G.; Renlund, Dale G.; Snow, Gregory L.; Stehlik, Josef; Folsom, Jan W.; Fisher, Patrick W.; Reid, Bruce B.; Clayson, Stephen E.; Gilbert, Edward M.; Everitt, Melanie D.; Bader, Feras M.; Singhal, Arun K.; Hammond, M. Elizabeth H. (January 2009). "A Clinical Correlation Study of Severity of Antibody-mediated Rejection and Cardiovascular Mortality in Heart Transplantation". The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 28 (1): 51–57. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2008.09.012. PMID 19134531.
- Quentin L. Cook, "Elder Dale G. Renlund: An Obedient Servant", Liahona, July 2016
- "Dale Gunnar Renlund". Church News. May 9, 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- Askar, J.G. (May 9, 2009). "Healing hands consecrated to the Lord's work". Church News. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- "Elder Dale G. Renlund," Liahona, May 2009, p. 136
- healthgrades report on Renlund
- "Dale G. Renlund". www.churchofjesuschrist.org. Retrieved 2022-03-08.
- Apostolic seniority is generally understood to include all ordained apostles (including the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Seniority is determined by date of ordination, not by age or other factors. If two apostles are ordained on the same day, the older of the two is typically ordained first. See Succession to the presidency and Heath, Steven H. (Summer 1987). "Notes on Apostolic Succession" (PDF). Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 20 (2): 44–56.
- Apostles, Elder Quentin L. Cook Of the Quorum of the Twelve. "Elder Dale G. Renlund: An Obedient Servant". www.churchofjesuschrist.org. Retrieved 2022-03-08.
- "Elder Dale G. Renlund", Liahona, November 2015.
- Renlund Hyde, Lisa, "Want a New Apostle With A Diverse Background? He's Already There", Mormon Observer
- Cook, Quentin. "Elder Dale G. Renlund: An Obedient Servant". ChurchofJesusChrist.org. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher. "All about new Mormon apostle Dale G. Renlund", The Salt Lake Tribune, 9 October 2015. Retrieved on 26 March 2020.
- "New stake presidencies", Church News, 5 December 1992. Retrieved on 26 March 2020.
- "Latter-day Saint apostle, wife test positive for COVID-19". Deseret. 2020-12-05. Retrieved 2022-03-08.
- McCombs, Brady. "Mormons select 3 new leaders; all from Utah". chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Three Named to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: 100 apostles have now served since Church was organized", Newsroom, LDS Church, 2015-10-03
- Noyce, David. "Mormon apostle decries incivility, xenophobia, urges people to build a better world through religious principles", The Salt Lake Tribune, 13 June 2017. Retrieved on 26 March 2020.
- Lane, Rebecca (2 July 2018). "LDS Apostle Debunks Suicide Stigma, Calls For Community Effort To Prevent Suicide". utahvalley360.com. Utah Valley 360. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- Wooden, Cindy. "Medical experts who are religious leaders look at faith, health, healing". cruxnow.com. Catholic News Service. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher. "Mormon apostle answers African youths’ questions in historic broadcast", The Salt Lake Tribune, 7 August 2017. Retrieved on 26 March 2020.
- Elder Renlund Dedicates Kinshasa Temple in a Historic Occasion for Latter-day Saints, Newsroom, churchofjesuschrist.org, 14 April 2019. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- Elder and Sister Renlund Diagnosed with COVID-19, Newsroom, churchofjesuschrist.org, 5 December 2020. Retrieved 5 December 2020.
- Haws, Nollie. "Just Call Me Ruth", Mormon Women Project, 12 May 2010. Retrieved on 27 March 2020.